Coach Ruud

...IDK about you other fellow husker fans but this assistant has me the most excited..if you watched game play of Our linebackers, rewind, watch, rewind and watch..you picked up on a never ending theme..they were always, well, more oft than nought,  out of theor position...if you remember player Rudd, he was always in positions..if he knows anything, he knows all about teaching our backers to be in the correct spot on a given defensive play..

i suppose i need need to change my handle..I’m no longer “depressed”..this is first time since perhaps early 2001 football season, I’ve had hope...and I believe my “hope” is absolutely justified now in the person of Mr Frost... many coaches know the Xs and O’s of football inside and out, yet don’t possess the the other required intangibles and tangible gifts and talents a organizational leader must have..I’m persuaded Mr Frost has it ALL to put Competitive, well versed in fundamentals teams on the field..I think he will also do it sooner than later...it will be awhile before he rises the program and installs systems that churn out national title team caliber teams ever year like Ohio state..but he will make teams work  to get a win against his husker teams..

Edited by Depressed Husker
  • Plus1 1

4 hours ago, lo country said:

IIRC, Ruud talked about Bo really upping his game in 2003.  Bo taught him about pursuit angles, reading plays etc......Seemed to help Ruud......Hoping this and his time in the pros really improves our LB play.  We need it.

That's great in all - but this thread is about Rudd and FUN!!!  

In all seriousness - It will be nice to see another young NU kid growing this team!!

Edited by GBRFAN
  • Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

Ruud played in a 4-3, which gives linebackers a completely different assignment.  It's definitely a good thing that he will be coaching the inside backers as their job in a 3-4 is much closer to what Ruud was doing at MLB than what the OLBs are being asked to do.  

I haven’t seen anything saying that we’re still going to be a 3-4. Have you seen that somewhere?

i doubt we stick with a 3-4.

2 minutes ago, husker B-rent said:

I haven’t seen anything saying that we’re still going to be a 3-4. Have you seen that somewhere?

Chinander (Sp?) ran a 3-4 at UCF, although he would mix it up and use 4-man fronts, at times. The D is going to have 2 LB coaches, one OLB and one ILB (Ruud, or Rudd if you like that spelling). 

Edited by ColoradoHusk

42 minutes ago, husker B-rent said:

It's a multiple front defense. 

"Is there going to three down linemen? Yeah, maybe. Sometimes, sometimes not. The thing I don’t understand – you guys know more about it than I do now – you know, there's a three-technique, a five-technique and a one-technique. This guy's got his hand on the ground and now it's a 4-3. Now he's standing up and it's a 3-4. It's going to be a multiple defense. Sometimes it'll be four guys with their hands down, sometimes three." - Erik Chinander

He's currently listed as the defensive quality control analyst, same as at UCF. So who gets that job when Ruud officially becomes LB-coach in January?  The offensive quality control analyst Verducci actually has a pretty extensive resume, and he was gotten while Frost was still at UCF. Could get somebody pretty good in that spot. 

• Mavric changed the title to Coach Ruud