Coach Ruud

• Mavric changed the title to Coach Ruud
On 1/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, Mavric said:

I would think there's misdirection going on here.  I understand what Coach Ruud is getting at, but all defenses have to "scheme" to a degree.  You watch film, find out what your opponent likes to do, and try and take that away.  You also "scheme" your secondary to try and get interceptions.  Give the offense one look pre-snap then run a different defense post-snap and try to bait the QB into throwing an INT.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I would think there's misdirection going on here.  I understand what Coach Ruud is getting at, but all defenses have to "scheme" to a degree.  You watch film, find out what your opponent likes to do, and try and take that away.  You also "scheme" your secondary to try and get interceptions.  Give the offense one look pre-snap then run a different defense post-snap and try to bait the QB into throwing an INT.

Yes but it was all scheme and no fundamentals that caused the strain before.  The strain was spectacular, right?

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I interpret this two ways. First, NU's defense has struggled with fundamentals for a long time. Poor tackling, poor angles, etc. You look at teams like Wisconsin and they're not going to out-scheme or out-talent you. They're going to out-execute you and part of that comes down to how fundamentally sound they are. Nebraska has to get back to playing fundamentally sound football and I believe the coaches know that hasn't been the case. I imagine they've already started looking at film from last year's team.

Second, it's coach speak. Trigger words, if you will. A fair portion of any fan base will react positively to hearing certain things and I'm fairly confident this is part of Frost's strategy right now - satiate the masses.

I wish I could find a tackling efficiency stat for college football.  They do it in the NFL.  Basically it counts tackle attempts and missed tackles along with the other normal stats.  Then you can normalize the efficiency based on either a play-by-play basis or on a per-attempt basis.

I'm pretty sure we would have sucked in that stat, and Chinander's defense this year would have been pretty good.  The stats for UCF are just skewed by the sheer number of plays they had to endure.

Here's an efficiency ranking stat from ESPN.  No idea what all goes into it, but it is at least on a play-by-play basis:

(click on the column heading to sort by stat)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/offEfficiency/tab/efficiency

Overall Rank/Offense Eff./Defense Eff./ST Eff.

3 PSU

4 OSU

7 Wisc

11 UCF / 9th / 32nd / 10th

24 Mich

25 MSU

31 Iowa

35 Pur

39 NW

48 Indy

75 Minn

83 Mary

86 Neb / 59th / 102nd / 14th

96 Rut

113 Ill

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, Enhance said:

I interpret this two ways. First, NU's defense has struggled with fundamentals for a long time. Poor tackling, poor angles, etc. You look at teams like Wisconsin and they're not going to out-scheme or out-talent you. They're going to out-execute you and part of that comes down to how fundamentally sound they are. Nebraska has to get back to playing fundamentally sound football and I believe the coaches know that hasn't been the case. I imagine they've already started looking at film from last year's team.

Second, it's coach speak. Trigger words, if you will. A fair portion of any fan base will react positively to hearing certain things and I'm fairly confident this is part of Frost's strategy right now - satiate the masses.

I do not disagree at all.

And yeah to clarify, I agree with Coach Ruud that Nebraska's defense needs more than anything to get back to being fundamentally sound.  

:thumbs