Post Play Issues

BIG ERN

It doesn't come as a surprise that our big men aren't getting it done, but it is absolutely abysmal. I can't imagine two other Centers in the country who shoot so bad from the field. I think Tim Miles needs to realize that we have to go to a smaller lineup if he wants any chance at making the tournament. I was hoping that Roby would be more aggressive this year, but that doesn't seem to be true yet. The kid has the talent just no confidence it seems. Would like to see a little more of Gill, Allen, and Roby and a little less of Jordy and Taylor. I think that Watson, Palmer, Copeland, Gill, Allen, Taylor, and Roby could run the floor nicely in a more up-tempo offense. Mix in a press and some zone. Losing Morrow and Jacobson obviously was't ideal either. Lost 15 PPG and 14 RPG  

Jordy Tshimanga: 2.9 PPG, 4.8 REB, on 31% FG and 46% FT

Dube Okeke doesn't play much but is shooting 38% FG and 25% FT (some nice blocks though) 

Edited by BIG ERN
  • Plus1 1

Jordy is horrendous considering the tools he has. He lacks the aggression necessary offensively to really get the job done on a consistent basis (wayyyyy too many finesse layups instead of going up and being aggressive). He also is consistently in the wrong place to gather rebounds on both ends of the floor and can't guard a soul when pulled away from the basket. For his physical size he doesn't really bring much of an imposing presence, which is disappointing. 

I agree that playing small is our best chance here. It's also why Miles is starting to recruit a different type of big- as noted by Heiman and Thamba (HUGE need). Okeke at least defensively seems to be in the right place and is adjusting well to this level of play. Offensively he's a complete liability as well. 

Playing Roby/Copeland at the 4/5 is probably our best bet going forward. Miles alluded to this in the Kansas postgame presser. Think you'll see starting lineups looking like...

Watson

Taylor

Palmer

Copeland

Okeke

with crunch time lineups looking like: 

Watson

Gill/Taylor

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

That crunch time lineup is really really hard to guard. I also think going forward you'll see a guy like Allen get increased minutes and an increased role on the team while Tshimanga will be less of a presence going forward. Key reserves (i.e. > 10 minutes a game) going forward will be: 

Gill

Allen

Roby

Jordy as needed

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Miles has said that he's considered starting Roby at the 5 but worries about foul trouble.

which is why you don't start Roby at the 5. People tend to confuse "starting lineup" with "most effective/best lineup". 

I also think you'll start to see more 1-3-1 as the season progresses. We seem to defend really well in it, the biggest challenge is just finding someone to block out for rebounding purposes (but we tend to suck at that in man so the difference may be negligible).

I’d like More Okeke at the 5, better defender and he can at least get off the floor quickly for a dunk when he’s open under the hoop, Jordy always takes forever to gather himself, allows the defense to recover and ends up missing point blank layups. Just my opinion. Also these next 3 games might get Jordy’s confidence trending in the right directions, maybe, hopefully I don’t know I’m just spitballing 

Edited by cornheadnation

Jordy had off season knee surgery so that explains some of the regression this year.  Hopefully his knee gets to 100% soon.  He also didn't play basketball until his sophomore year in HS so that explains some of the footwork/coordination issues.

I think his biggest problem is that when he plays against smaller players and tries to back them down by putting a shoulder into their chest, they flop (see Creighton in the first half) and he gets a BS foul, so he tries to finesse his man down and by the time that happens a guard has collapsed down in a double team and he's not prepared to pick up his dribble and find the open man.  He just hasn't developed the instincts of someone who played hoops all their life.

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm still not missing Morrow or Jacobsen FWIW.

Yep.  Last year - for the entire year - Nebraska out-rebounded it's opponents.  This year through the easiest part of our schedule we're getting out-rebounded.  And we're scoring all of four points more per game than we did after playing an entire B1G schedule last year.

But who needs rebounders anyway?

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  Last year - for the entire year - Nebraska out-rebounded it's opponents.  This year through the easiest part of our schedule we're getting out-rebounded.  And we're scoring all of four points more per game than we did after playing an entire B1G schedule last year.

But who needs rebounders anyway?

Easiest part of the schedule? I'd argue that first 12 games this year were as tough as last year's first 12. And add that we have played much more competive basketball (other than the MSU game & St. Johns, which i credit to still finding our footing)

First 12 Games last year...

Sac State, Mary, Louisiana Tech, Dayton, #14 UCLA, VT, Clemson, South Dakota, #10 Creighton, #3 Kansas, Gardner-Webb, Southern

First 12 Games this year...

Eastern Ill, North Texas, St. Johns, North Dakota, UCF, Marist, Long Beach St, Boston College, #2 MSU, #13 MInnesota, #25 Creighton,  #13 Kansas

Somehow we looked mighty fine against Minnesota, Creighton and Kansas without your boys Morrow and MJ. Weird.

(Also 6-6 after 12 last year, 7-5 this year) #improvement

Edited by ScottyIce
28 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Easiest part of the schedule? I'd argue that first 12 games this year were as tough as last year's first 12. And add that we have played much more competive basketball (other than the MSU game & St. Johns, which i credit to still finding our footing)

First 12 Games last year...

Sac State, Mary, Louisiana Tech, Dayton, #14 UCLA, VT, Clemson, South Dakota, #10 Creighton, #3 Kansas, Gardner-Webb, Southern

First 12 Games this year...

Eastern Ill, North Texas, St. Johns, North Dakota, UCF, Marist, Long Beach St, Boston College, #2 MSU, #13 MInnesota, #25 Creighton,  #13 Kansas

Somehow we looked mighty fine against Minnesota, Creighton and Kansas without your boys Morrow and MJ. Weird.

(Also 6-6 after 12 last year, 7-5 this year) #improvement

If you would like to provide stats from the first 12 games last year to compare with the first 12 games this year then you can talk. 

I didn't say the first 12 games this year were easier than the first 12 games last year.  I'm saying since we've played (mostly) non-conference games this year that isn't the same as comparing stats from the entire year last year which has the entire conference schedule included.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you would like to provide stats from the first 12 games last year to compare with the first 12 games this year then you can talk. 

I didn't say the first 12 games this year were easier than the first 12 games last year.  I'm saying since we've played (mostly) non-conference games this year that isn't the same as comparing stats from the entire year last year which has the entire conference schedule included.

Why do you even argue with him anymore? He doesn't know basketball and just says these things to get a reaction. Jacobsen was trash but we could absolutely use Morrow. We've been down this road like 100 times now. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Why do you even argue with him anymore? He doesn't know basketball and just says these things to get a reaction. Jacobsen was trash but we could absolutely use Morrow. We've been down this road like 100 times now. 

Jacobsen was trash, yet most people won't agree with that.

Could we use Morrow if he was healthy and willing to accept his role? Yes.

Problem was he wasn't healthy and he didn't want the role. Turns out you know nothing.