Weird Time for Christians

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Jeff Sessions used an incredibly suspect Biblical verse to justify tearing immigrant children away from their mothers.

I've gotten so used to being angry about this turn we've taken, but now I just feel sick.

The Bible can be used to justify anything, especially the old testament.

Colbert lit Sessions up pretty good for it last night, too. I know they're just late night comedians, but people like Colbert, Kimmel & Meyers are yeoman's work at times bringing a serious critique of the administration to a broader audience that otherwise might not get it.

It's important that people understand what's wrong with policies like this & their ham-handed attempt to upend healthcare law.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

So the same christians who say the terrorist are gonna enforce sharia law on us are now using their religion to rip innocent children away from their families? Sounds like a real separation of church and state.

I have thought for a long time that there are segements of christianity (read white evnagelicals) who are looking to impose their own "christian" version of sharia law.  Funny how they oppose islamic sharia law, and yet want to impose their beliefs on everyone.  It is so bizarre at how they dont see the hypocrisy and irony.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:49 PM, Moiraine said:

I kinda hate Facebook. Without it I wouldn't know how many Christian acquaintances/friends I have who still support Trump to this day. It sickens me. They sicken me way more than random Trump supporters. Christians have no excuse for supporting him.

There are plenty of people, including my mom, that I'm not on the same page with politically.

I would not even consider unfriending them.  If they want to use social media as their platform, I hope it makes them feel better.  Perhaps they feel it's their "voice"

I respect their right to their opinion even if I disagree.

We talk a lot in this country about respecting others.  Doesn't that include their opinion?

It doesn't mean I choose to respond to them, and I'm certainly not going to unfriend them.

14 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There are plenty of people, including my mom, that I'm not on the same page with politically.

I would not even consider unfriending them.  If they want to use social media as their platform, I hope it makes them feel better.  Perhaps they feel it's their "voice"

I respect their right to their opinion even if I disagree.

We talk a lot in this country about respecting others.  Doesn't that include their opinion?

It doesn't mean I choose to respond to them, and I'm certainly not going to unfriend them.

I'm using an extreme example on purpose, but I get tired of people preaching about divisiveness. There were many people in Germany who supported Hitler, so I don't agree with the philosophy that we all need to respect each other's opinions. I can't respect the opinions of a fellow Christian who continues to support this man. I was and am understanding of why a Christian would have voted for him. I have Christian friends who voted for him who I've talked to who no longer support him and I completely understand why they voted the way they did. But I draw the line at continued support. You can be 100% against the Democratic party based solely on their abortion stance, and at the same time not support Trump.

And I'm not talking about those who stay silent. That's another conversation. I'm talking about those who unabashedly support Trump's every move, no matter how immoral it is. These same people thought Bill Clinton was the devil for having an affair, before anyone thought he had committed sexual assault.

• Plus1 1

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jerry Falwell Jr - I'm looking straight at you and so many more.

I had a conversation with my 36 year old son the other day.   He voted for Hillary but says he would have voted for Kasich if that was the option.  He says he sees no way he can vote Republican again after seeing the blinded support for Trump. He is also discouraged in the church (not his faith - but the modern evangelical church world in America - so that specific sector)because of this very thing as reflected in the tweet above.  My son is a finance guy for a world wide Christian poverty/disaster relief organization and is concerned about the disadvantaged in American and other places.  He sees (and so do I) Trump's words and actions as opposite of those of Christian virtue and also American virtues.  He and I both think that this segment of the church is selling its soul for momentary  support from the WH.  His Republican congressman is a staunch Trump supporter. 

The tween notes a quote from Revelation by conservative Christians.  Well "I ARE ONE" so here is a quote from the book of Revelations - aimed not at Obama or even at Trump but at the Church and it is applicable to us today and not just the 1st century church of Laodicea.

As I said before - "The greatest thing to happen to the Repuplican party was the Moral Majority.  The worse thing to happen to the vitality of the American church and distract us from our true mission was the Moral Majority."

To the Church in Laodicea

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

• Plus1 1