tOSU, ESPN, and Kirk Herbstreit Recruiting Violations

QMany

After Herbstreit recognized and greeted Terwilliger, the group entered the production area and were given credentials by a producer. Then, Herbstreit invited the recruit on the stage following a commercial break. The recruit posed for a photo between “two nationally known ESPN analysts,” then headed off the stage with his father to rejoin Terwilliger and his mother when the show was about to return to the air.

Ohio State self-reported the violations to the NCAA on Sept. 26. The violations, which The Lantern obtained through a public-records request, were the result of improper contact that happened during the recruit’s visit to the set of ESPN’s College GameDay at The Oval prior to the Buckeyes’ game against Oklahoma.

As a result of the infractions, Ohio State agreed to no longer recruit Parsons and declared him ineligible for an unknown amount of time. 

This is the first I've heard about this. Good reporting by The Lantern, tOSU student newspaper.

While this seems minor, Herbstreit should certainly know better; and this doesn't help complaints of his bias.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, QMany said:

This is the first I've heard about this. Good reporting by The Lantern, tOSU student newspaper.

While this seems minor, Herbstreit should certainly know better; and this doesn't help complaints of his bias.

He probably got caught up in the moment, yes he should've known better. But I really think Herbstreit does a great job and doesn't have a ton of bias towards any certain team. Pretty sure I saw @jaws say that buckeye fans think he has it out for them as much as we do. Something about having to move to Nashville due to the flack his family received when in Columbus?

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yep, flack received because tOSU fans thought he was too objective.

Which is just absolutely ridiculous. 

Edit: that they’d give him s#!t, not saying it’s ridiculous cause he’s not objective. I really like herb. He has taken good care of corso since his stroke, can’t teach compassion like that. 

Edited by HuskerNBigD

On 12/20/2017 at 7:36 PM, Excel said:

He could still choose to commit there right? They're just not allowed to talk to him anymore?

95% of the time I don't mind Herbstreit but he does occasionally show a bias, as they all do at times.

Ohio State had ruled him ineligible