Season Ticket Questions/Help -- Any advice appreciated

Jamesla30

Hi guys, my wife and I were born and raised in Nebraska, but have been living out of state for the last 10 years. Finally back and in a position to afford season tickets. I have been researching the process and was hoping you guys who have experience with season tickets can help.... I would GREATLY appreciate it.

We luckily have the ability to get premiums seats and are willing to donate $1000-$1750 per seat (plus $399 for the tickets). We are in our early 30s and are huge football fans. We generally enjoy having some adult beverages before the game and enjoy the gameday/crowd atmosphere.

1.  These are the sections we are looking at, can you make recommendations on which might be the best value?

-- dark grey $1500: sections 105-107 or 23/29

-- pink $1000: sections 103/104, 108/109, 21/31

-- olive $1750: club level sections 403/404, 410/411, 223/224, 228/229

2.  Are club level seats worth the extra cost? If I research correctly, these are the only sections with seat backs besides the new 600 east level correct? Is club access worth it? Are the crowds in these sections boring?

3.  Reselling: I know you can get rid of tickets easy enough, but can you get your money (plus donation cost) back? For instance, these tickets would be about $250/each per game including donation. I know bigger games you can probably get that for them, but lesser games not. Is there certain sections that might be easier to get more back when reselling than others? My wife has a job that can make last minute changes, and there is a chance we might not be able to go to a large majority of the games. I am just trying to figure out how much of our cost we are going to lose, or if we can get pretty close to breaking even.

4.  Pick-your-seat process: If I make a large donation per seat and when the time comes find out that the seats we prefer are not available, is that donation refundable? I just don't want to donate a large amount and then find out I can only get lower tier seats that only require a $250-$500 donation.

I would really appreciate any guidance you guys can provide. Thank you!!

• Plus1 1

The 100-level seats in East Stadium should be the old upper tier of Memorial Stadium before the expansion. I think those are still the old bench style seats, but it's a decent place to watch a game.  I think @Coach Power'T sat in these seats in the last couple of years and could talk more about them.  They'll have a good view if you like seeing the game from the sidelines.  I prefer seeing the game from the end zone so I can watch blocking & plays develop a little more, so we sit in the north end zone (Sec 35). 

The Club level, especially in East Stadium (400 level) is a very nice, almost brand-new facility.  There is a huge lobby behind the seats, a view of the city to the east, and access is pretty easy.  It's a nice place to watch a game.  The crowds in Club level are a little boring. They're the first to leave, the last to arrive, and they're mostly fair-weather fans - as in, when it gets cold half of them are inside the lobby the whole game.  If you like sitting on the side, and want some extra amenities, those are good seats and you should take them.

I don't know anything about suite-level seats.  Never had a chance to sit there. 

1 - I personally like seats a little higher because I can see what's going on - blocking schemes, coverages, etc. - better.   I have a friend with tickets in 105 or 106 and I would personally choose those before 23/29.  I'd do the same with 103/104/108/109 before 21/31.  My seats are in 402 but I've been wanting to switch over to West Stadium for the last few years, just haven't had seats come available when it's my turn to choose.  You would definitely want West Stadium (223/224/228/229) ahead of East Stadium (403/404/410/411) because they are lower and closer to the center of the field for the same price.

2 - To me they are.  For starters, I live several hours away so it's an all-day deal - or all-weekend - for me to attend a game but I don't get to go to very many.  So when I'm there I like to have a little nicer seats.  Having an actual seat - as opposed to a bench - is REALLY nice.  You are pretty close to concessions and restrooms.  And it's really nice to be able to go inside to cool down or warm up depending on the weather.  I would definitely go for that over other $1500 seats.  Compared to the $1000 seats it just depends on what you want to spend.

3 - I've had pretty good luck reselling tickets but I don't get the full donation back.  Depending on the game I've never had a problem selling them and getting $100-$150 but you're probably going to be out some.  People have tickets listed for more than that but I'm not sure if they actually sell them for that.  I'd rather get a decent amount of it back than not sell them at all so I don't price mine as high.  Hopefully demand picks up if we can put a better product on the field.  :thumbs

4 - I got my tickets originally before the Seat Yourself came into play so I'm not exactly sure how it works now.  When I got my tickets I just put in for what donation I'd be willing to pay and got assigned seats at that level.  I don't think you have to pay your donation until after you secure your seats for new tickets but I'm not 100% sure on that.  I thought you just had to put a deposit down - $100 or something like that - and then you get included in the Seat Yourself process.  When it's your turn to pick you can look at the seats available and then pick what you want.  I think you have to pay the remaining ticket price and donation at that time.  You might want to check on that for sure though.

Good luck!  GBR!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

My seats are in 402

I thought you sat in north end zone.  I must be thinking of someone else.

Seat Yourself is pretty easy.  You get your login time, log in, there's an interactive map of the stadium, you choose open seats, you can click on them to see what the field looks like from that spot, and if you like them you lock them in and submit payment.  Takes very little time. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I thought you sat in north end zone.  I must be thinking of someone else.

Nope, must be someone else.  If I was in North I'd have come by to say hi by now.  :)

The first year I had seats in South Stadium then moved to 402 when the expansion was finished.

Seat Yourself is pretty easy.  You get your login time, log in, there's an interactive map of the stadium, you choose open seats, you can click on them to see what the field looks like from that spot, and if you like them you lock them in and submit payment.  Takes very little time. 

Seat Yourself is awesome.  Very easy to use.  It's kind of interesting just to see what tickets come available each year.

Not sure as a first-time ticket buyer. I've only ever done it as a returning season-ticket holder.  But generally, yes, that's what I understand is the process. Your non-refundable $100 "donation" gets you in the door, but if I'm not mistaken it does not guarantee you tickets.  Once you're over that first step, you get ranked according to priority points, which are based on your donation level.

If you have zero priority points, especially this year with the excitement over Frost, you're likely not going to get tickets and will end up on the Wait List, where you'll stay until your priority points rise high enough to get you into the Seat Yourself queue.  Then it's up to how much you want to pay for your seats.

Here's an article explaining the priority points system.

To give you example of the seat yourself process... I'm a season ticket holder but don't have any donation points. My last timeslot came up May 10th. At the time, there was a lot of premium seats available if I wanted to upgrade, but my seats are pretty decent for no donation so I haven't been able to justify the cost to move.

Like knapplc says though, with Frost coming in, it's difficult to say how much there will be for ticket availability.

I am Red (GBR) wt Envy - to live so far away I can only make it to a game every now and then - think years apart.  But I got good seats at the OKLA Husker Club & the temp is always fine :P

But speaking of seats, I haven't had to buy single game tickets via finding them on line or going to the stadium to look for a 'deal' - normally just through the club.

However, wt that said, I expect tickets to be scarce this year wt the Frost Warning coming, so what do you guys think is the best way to buy single game tickets

without getting 'ripped off'?

Thanks for all the responses so far.... seems to be some confusion regarding priority points (donation $) and the seat-yourself process..... my understanding is that the higher your priority points the higher you get on the list to pick before everyone else.... however it is confusing because I have zero priority points as I will be a brand new season ticket holder. Obviously if I donated $1500 per seat I would jump ahead of a majority of other people who either have never donated (grandfathered seats), or have only donated at lower amounts for the past few years.

Anyone who has gone through this same situation and can chime in?

Maybe I need to put down a bigger "deposit"?

Or maybe I will be fine waiting until the end of the list as most pass on the premium seats anyways?

Lastly, almost too embarrassed to ask this, but I assume the minimum donation has to be made every year to keep the same seats, correct?

Is the donation tax deductible? Again, embarrassed to ask, but gotta make sure :)

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not sure as a first-time ticket buyer. I've only ever done it as a returning season-ticket holder.  But generally, yes, that's what I understand is the process. Your non-refundable $100 "donation" gets you in the door, but if I'm not mistaken it does not guarantee you tickets.  Once you're over that first step, you get ranked according to priority points, which are based on your donation level.

If you have zero priority points, especially this year with the excitement over Frost, you're likely not going to get tickets and will end up on the Wait List, where you'll stay until your priority points rise high enough to get you into the Seat Yourself queue.  Then it's up to how much you want to pay for your seats.

Here's an article explaining the priority points system.

According to the link I posted above:

If you are paying $100 per ticket, you are guaranteed that tickets will be made available to you through the Seat Yourself process. Availability in all donation levels cannot be guaranteed. If you do not find locations to your liking, you may request a refund of your down payment by August 1, 2018.

If you opt for the free opportunity and do not pay the $100 per ticket down payment, you will be entered into the Seat Yourself process to select tickets in the best available location when your time slot occurs.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If you have zero priority points, especially this year with the excitement over Frost, you're likely not going to get tickets and will end up on the Wait List, where you'll stay until your priority points rise high enough to get you into the Seat Yourself queue. 

The ONLY (and I emphasize "only") thing that's frustrating for me.  This was always going to be my first year as a season ticket holder.  I'll have all three kids at UNL for the next 4 years.  Heck, I should get free season tickets at club level for that.  

Anyway....looks like it's going to be driving down and buying tickets off the street for us every week.  Then, I have to go through the whole....convince my wife we should go to the game....every stinking week.  Then, either the game will be not a big enough game or the tickets will be too expensive.

Hiring Frost sucks.

• Plus1 1