Early Signing Day - December 20th, 2017

Mavric

Just now, RedSavage said:

I have a lot of confidence in this staff, so if anyone can get it done, I think it's them but having been spurned by recruits so many times in the past, this worries me somewhat.  I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

I hear what you are saying, and I agree.  But, I also think that there will be good players to be found for the February signing period, and that it won't be the worst thing to have 2-3 extra spots available for the 2019 class.  I don't like continuously being short of the 85 scholarship limit, but the bell cow recruiting classes for Frost will need to be 2019 and 2020, so it's a good thing if those are big classes.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hear what you are saying, and I agree.  But, I also think that there will be good players to be found for the February signing period, and that it won't be the worst thing to have 2-3 extra spots available for the 2019 class.  I don't like continuously being short of the 85 scholarship limit, but the bell cow recruiting classes for Frost will need to be 2019 and 2020, so it's a good thing if those are big classes.

Also good points.  We could end up signing a way better class bc of it, plus having the extra schollys so hopefully it works out that way they are planning.  But the whole "I feel really good about where this class is going to be come February" kinda thing, only to get burned and end up not getting recruits we thought were basically locks and having to reach.  Hopefully that's a thing of the past.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BoSolich said:

anyone concerned that we signed 1 offensive lineman? seems like it was one of our weakest positions last year.

I think there is more potential value with three star lineman then any other position.  I like this early signing day stuff and I am happy with our 10 (so far).  It'll be interesting to see who is left after the period ends and how that plays out.  We might able to pull some surprises off the recruiting buffet.  I'm particularly interested in Juco's since I think we'll have to have more then traditional for the next few years. 

5 hours ago, BoSolich said:

anyone concerned that we signed 1 offensive lineman? seems like it was one of our weakest positions last year.

The concern was the previous staff was not doing all that great of a job of recruiting them.  New staff didn't have much time to make up any ground.

I'm sure that will be a top priority in January.

Nebraska quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco is blunt on his opinion of Adrian Martinez, the newest player in his room.

“The first time I saw Adrian,” Verduzco said, “he reminded me of Marcus Mariota.”

Really, a comparison to a Heisman Trophy winner, already?

And from a coach?

Of course, Verduzco is the same person who told his head coach, Scott Frost, about another quarterback a couple of years ago, and how this guy reminded him so much of Vernon Adams. Sure, he’d need some guidance, some time to develop. But Verduzco saw a winner.

That guy, McKenzie Milton, just led the nation’s most potent offense to an undefeated record and berth in the Peach Bowl.

Ahem, so, what about this Martinez kid, again?

“There was a clip of him a junior where he just frickin’ took off,” Verduzco said. “I mean, he was gone. That’s what hit me.”

Verduzco saw a tall, fast player with a “good gun,” someone nimble-minded with a tremendous work ethic.

He used many of the same words in describing Milton, who started 10 games as a freshman before this sophomore breakthrough season.

Huskers.com

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I thought there was a rule where they couldn't reference recruits by name or something.  Am i confusing this with something else?

Once they sign a LOI the coaches are allowed to call them by name.

Edited by caveman99
  • Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

The concern was the previous staff was not doing all that great of a job of recruiting them.  New staff didn't have much time to make up any ground.

I'm sure that will be a top priority in January.

Plus, I tend to think that good/great offensive linemen can be made out of guys who aren’t the top recruits. Offensive linemen depend so much on development and attitude. 

After landing Frost, and the early offers he and the staff made, it was easy to get caught up in the sunshine, lollipops and unicorns notion that the turn around would be immediate.  It won't be.  I still think they'll pull together a decent, targeted class this year, but it won't be the homeruns we (or at least me) were hoping for.  I went for a long hike this afternoon and re-organized my thinking.  We'll be great again, but it will take the time we all assured each other we'd give Frost to come and get it done.

• Plus1 1