Early Signing Day - December 20th, 2017

Mavric

10 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

After landing Frost, and the early offers he and the staff made, it was easy to get caught up in the sunshine, lollipops and unicorns notion that the turn around would be immediate.  It won't be.  I still think they'll pull together a decent, targeted class this year, but it won't be the homeruns we (or at least me) were hoping for.  I went for a long hike this afternoon and re-organized my thinking.  We'll be great again, but it will take the time we all assured each other we'd give Frost to come and get it done.

I agree that the the overall build will take a little time, but I think we will be pleasantly surprised at how many wins they get next year. I could see a jump up to 9-10 wins in year 1 or 2, but a little longer to make that jump through the glass ceiling Bo never could seem to break through. This class is about balancing the roster with a good class, not great. Really good to great classes will require some wins plus the ability to build relationships over a couple of years. 2019 should be better, but it seems that classes where the coaches have the ability to make a relationship with the players as Sophomores or Juniors are better. MR’s group had his best class going in his 3rd year and 4th class. 

• Plus1 1

I'm impressed with the idea of quality over quantity.  Get guys who can contribute sooner than later.  Guys who can fill immediate needs.  Guys who are more substance over flash....Guys who show the right attitude.  With Frost and Co, character counts and it will improve this team moving forward.   He has a plan. A guy isn't named coach of the year by 3 groups without knowing a little something. Or take an 0-12 team to 12-0 in 2 years without getting the tight kids and developing those he has.......

• Plus1 1

Love the way this class looks so far!

Players I Looooove so far:

Tate Wildeman- Physical DE out of Colorado, 6’6 250, all I need to say. Favorite prospect so far

Adrian Martinez- STUD who has a legit chance to start next year

David Alston- Needs to put on some weight but will be good for us I think.

Jaron Woodyard- I love all 3 JUCO guys, but he runs a 10.38 100m as a WR

Hopefully we get some more additions in Feb! We need to fill holes in at LB, DL, and DBs, plus everywhere else won’t hurt.

Unrelated, but I think we will be really good at LB if we land Honas... Honas plus what we have back, plus someone like Avery Roberts or Guy Thomas? I like that

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

I don’t want to sign players just to fill up the roster. Better to wait for the right fit. I don’t expect next year     

to be anything special with the first year and tough schedule, so let’s take our time and do it right.

I agree-  but do we give the unfilled spots to walk-ons or do we get more schollys next year?  Or do you fill with Juco's?

The Adrian Martinez get is pretty impressive considering the kid was offered by basically every major program and was the #4 QB in the country according to ESPN.

My only concern is that the scouting report on him is that he basically only plays from the shotgun and is not a dynamic runner.  Not sure how he fits into Frost's scheme given this.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Need 1-2 OTs I would think

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Uh...no he doesn't.  Pump your breaks.

http://parser.dyestat.com/search.jsp?athID=299671

I saw that on twitter, Still fast

41 minutes ago, neepster said:

The Adrian Martinez get is pretty impressive considering the kid was offered by basically every major program and was the #4 QB in the country according to ESPN.

My only concern is that the scouting report on him is that he basically only plays from the shotgun and is not a dynamic runner.  Not sure how he fits into Frost's scheme given this.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

He looks like a dynamic runner on his film... lol

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Hopefully he can get some sleep during the dead period. He definitely looks like someone who's working 2 jobs and has a newborn.

My god, he's turning into Macaulay Culkin!

Macaulay-Culkin-looking-in-2012.jpg

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Roll Skers said:

I saw that on twitter, Still fast

He looks like a dynamic runner on his film... lol

Went and found some film on him and I agree he can run out of designed plays, but I didn't see any running from blocking breakdowns and such... maybe because they were highlight films... anyway he seems a great get, so hopefully he does well at Nebraska.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, according to 247....we signed:

#2 JUCO Safety

#3 JUCO RB

#2 JUCO WR

#9 HS Dual Threat QB who was Frost's top QB want going back over a year

#6 HS TE who is a local kid

And...have a real chance at the #1 JUCO ILB

Not bad.

I thought that I had read somewhere that Banks was moved up to the #1 JUCO RB spot. Not 100% sure though.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, according to 247....we signed:

#2 JUCO Safety

#3 JUCO RB

#2 JUCO WR

#9 HS Dual Threat QB who was Frost's top QB want going back over a year

#6 HS TE who is a local kid

And...have a real chance at the #1 JUCO ILB

Not bad.

What about our newest kicker?  No love? lol