How to break it to boss you're leaving?

The more I think about it...the more I remember this.  I worked with a guy who was basically "the guy" had been there 35 years everyone knew and loved him, he was amazing at his job and with all the workers...I remember thinking, "Man, when he leaves it will be tough to replace him"

Turns out...it wasn't, within about a month everyone stopped mentioning his name and no one seemed to remember him, least of all my boss.  So while you might think it is a big deal, because you are a normal person like most of us, your boss won't give a f#*k.  She/he will replace you and you will be forgotten about shortly.  

I guess what I am saying is just tell her/him you are leaving and don't worry about it because she/he won't be worrying about it either.  

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

The more I think about it...the more I remember this.  I worked with a guy who was basically "the guy" had been there 35 years everyone knew and loved him, he was amazing at his job and with all the workers...I remember thinking, "Man, when he leaves it will be tough to replace him"

Turns out...it wasn't, within about a month everyone stopped mentioning his name and no one seemed to remember him, least of all my boss.  So while you might think it is a big deal, because you are a normal person like most of us, your boss won't give a f#*k.  She/he will replace you and you will be forgotten about shortly.  

I guess what I am saying is just tell her/him you are leaving and don't worry about it because she/he won't be worrying about it either.  

It's not that I think I'm important. It's that I like my boss as a person but she's prone to panicking and I don't want drama, and there was some drama with the previous person leaving. I'm sure they'll be fine without me.

Edited by Moiraine
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's not that I think I'm important. It's that I like my boss as a person but she's prone to panicking and I don't want drama, and there was some drama with the previous person leaving. I'm sure they'll be fine without me.

What kind of drama?  She wasn't mean about the other person leaving, was she?

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What kind of drama?  She wasn't mean about the other person leaving, was she?

He told me she got mad at him during their meeting and talked to him about all the stuff the company had done for him (not sure what that was other than giving him a salary) and then I witnessed her being pretty obnoxious at him a couple times during his last 2 weeks.

I also just don't like people being upset at me. I know she's going to be but I want it to be as non-unpleasant as possible.

Edited by Moiraine

Just now, Moiraine said:

He told me she got mad at him and talked to him about all the stuff the company had done for him (not sure what that was other than giving him a salary) and then I witnessed her being pretty obnoxious at him during his last 2 weeks.

I also just don't like people being upset at me. I know she's going to be but I want it to be as non-unpleasant as possible.

Ahhhh, the guilt trip followed by the nasty...I don't blame you for not wanting that.  If it gets to that just leave.

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He told me she got mad at him during their meeting and talked to him about all the stuff the company had done for him (not sure what that was other than giving him a salary) and then I witnessed her being pretty obnoxious at him a couple times during his last 2 weeks.

If you think that your boss is going to react based on what she has done in the past, she is probably not upset at “you”, she’s more upset about the situation and just taking it out on you. If it becomes unbearable, just pack up your stuff and leave. The 2 weeks notice is a courtesy employees give to employers to ease the transition. If the employer is not reciprocating, the employee has the right to just leave.

I did it today, but first some backstory.

I've been taking very short lunches (10-15 mins) the last few months so that I can use the rec room for 45-50 mins. There's no set amount of time we have to use for lunch break but most people take about an hour. Also, my boss has been using the rec room more than I have.

So, her reaction was pretty annoying in general but the icing on the cake was that she banned me from the rec room for my last 2 weeks because I've been using it "so often" and she said she regretted being "so flexible" with me and had now "learned her lesson." I knew she would react badly (which is why I made this topic) but I didn't expect it to be related to how I spend my break, heh. It's the most petty thing I can imagine. If she hadn't been "so flexible" I would have left sooner.

Edited by Moiraine
40 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

And you like this person....? Why?

Sounds like an insecure biatch to me. Sorry but from the few things you've shared about her, I'm understanding why you're leaving but can't fathom why you care if they get upset.

I like(d) her when we weren't talking work, and wanted to give her a chance to not take this personally or get huffy. But it didn't work out. Don't care anymore.

• 2 weeks later...