JUCO Recruiting

Was this the first road block for FHCMR’s tenure at Nebraska? He came in and didn’t even jump right into his system right away and was unable to land any JUCOs or Grad transfers or a QB in his first class

HCSF already has landed 4 JUCO’s that fit exactly what he wants to do, a QB perfect for his system and still has a couple more months to find 7+ more fits. It’s possible he could pursue the Grad transfer market as well....

Gotta love what’s going on with Husker Football.

• Plus1 3

Yeah, even the recruiting guys have been commenting for some time that it was a fairly big short-coming of Riley's recruiting efforts - not grabbing 2-3 JUCOs each year at positions of need.  Considering roster numbers and level of play we sure could have used a WR, OT and CB and a pass rusher of some sort.

Could somebody explain to a guy that doesn’t follow recruiting very closely.....Is this more than we usually tap the juco market for players and is this a pretty clear indication that HCSF maybe felt we were lacking talent? Or are the numbers (4) fairly typical and is it just plugging holes in strategic positions? From my uneducated view, this seems a little abnormal for Nebraska, recently anyway.

Just now, Comfortably Numb said:

Could somebody explain to a guy that doesn’t follow recruiting very closely.....Is this more than we usually tap the juco market for players and is this a pretty clear indication that HCSF maybe felt we were lacking talent? Or are the numbers (4) fairly typical and is it just plugging holes in strategic positions? From my uneducated view, this seems a little abnormal for Nebraska, recently anyway.

Not sure Riley signed a single juco player for comparison

39 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

It’s only abnormal comparing it to Riley’s recruiting where he didn’t take any JUCO guys.  Bo and even Callahan would get JUCO recruits in positions of need.

39 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

It's probably more than what you will see moving forward. But no problem in the first year or 2 to snag more than usual. Then again if there is great talent at JUCO why pass on it any year 

There’s no problem ever grabbing 1-2 per year, as long as they are the right type of guys and At positions of need. Frost was quoted saying this.

word was FADSE gave the red light to Riley on JUCO’s. But, Riley did say a couple times that he wanted to build it with 4 year guys, not stop gaps.

I think we would possibly still take a couple more JUCO’s if they are out there and fit Frosts model. Pass rusher and OT come to mind.

Edited by ScottyIce
6 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

There’s no problem ever grabbing 1-2 per year, as long as they are the right type of guys and At positions of need. Frost was quoted saying this.

word was FADSE gave the red light to Riley on JUCO’s. But, Riley did say a couple times that he wanted to build it with 4 year guys, not stop gaps.

I think we would possibly still take a couple more JUCO’s if they are out there and fit Frosts model. Pass rusher and OT come to mind.

Sam McKewon said numerous times that the administration didn’t want to deal with the hassle of getting JUCO kids eligible and staying on top of their grades, so SE discouraged Riley from recruiting them. Riley didn’t push back and didn’t attempt very hard to recruit the JUCO ranks, which is odd because I think he had a few decent ones come thru Oregon State during his time there. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sam McKewon said numerous times that the administration didn’t want to deal with the hassle of getting JUCO kids eligible and staying on top of their grades, so SE discouraged Riley from recruiting them. Riley didn’t push back and didn’t attempt very hard to recruit the JUCO ranks, which is odd because I think he had a few decent ones come thru Oregon State during his time there. 

Sounds like a few people in the administration need to cool their heels looking for a new job.

MR seemed to act like he had an 8 year contract and winning in the first 3 years wasn't important.  I feel like we are taking JUCO's this year at a rate similar to K-state who made a living with JUCO's.  Thinking SF would have went as high as 6 if he could have grabbed a rush end and a O-line guy....  Will be interesting to see in years 3/4 how JUCO's and Walk-on's are passed out -  once SF has a handle on his roster.

With Ryan Helds JuCo ties, it would not surprise me if we took 2-4 every cycle starting in 2019.  They would make up for the misses/depth issues and fill holes with potential transfers. The rest of the class you fill with high school guys to develop and the great ones come in and compete for playing time. I like the idea because it feels as though we get phenomenal players from the Juco ranks that help contribute to the team. Couple that with the development of the high school guys and we are competing for conference championships and getting results on the field that we all want to see. 

20 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

With Ryan Helds JuCo ties, it would not surprise me if we took 2-4 every cycle starting in 2019.  They would make up for the misses/depth issues and fill holes with potential transfers. The rest of the class you fill with high school guys to develop and the great ones come in and compete for playing time. I like the idea because it feels as though we get phenomenal players from the Juco ranks that help contribute to the team. Couple that with the development of the high school guys and we are competing for conference championships and getting results on the field that we all want to see. 

What if I told you we already have 2-4 JUCO guys in 2018 class? With Ryan Held, there is no reason to wait. It’s already here.

3 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

What if I told you we already have 2-4 JUCO guys in 2018 class? With Ryan Held, there is no reason to wait. It’s already here.

Yes, I agree!

I was referring more to the years after 2018. We might get a couple more Juco's this year, so that is why I put that number for 2019 and beyond. I think we might start looking for a Juco OT after this dead period is over. 

Anyway, I am really impressed at who we are bringing in. I kind of bought into Riley's notion to not go after Jucos and develop the younins, but now that we saw how that worked, I am okay with going after them. Especially since we had so many good ones under Bo that made an impact, I bet we will see the same impact under Forst as well!

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO Recruiting