Huskers Offense Always in 'Attack Mode'

Mavric

Troy Walters talked fast Thursday night as he described the offensive system he helps coach.

It was only fitting because it's a no-huddle system that essentially tries to do everything quickly.

"That's kind of the M.O. of this system," said Walters, Nebraska's new offensive coordinator, who held the same title in 2016 and 2017 at Central Florida. "The proof is in the pudding. It's been successful at Oregon. It's been successful here (at UCF). Our main job and our main goal on offense and defense is to really put stress on the opposing team. We feel like we can do that by playing fast — getting (foes) out of their comfort zone.

"Everything we do is going to be in attack mode. We're going to attack each day, attack each practice, attack each meeting. And I think once the guys realize what type of speed we're going to play with, the type of mentality ... We just want to make sure we're getting after whatever is in front of us."

LJS

I’m curious about how it’ll look too.  There are so many teams today that are running a hurry-up, funny picture play card, Oregon style offense.  I haven’t watched Frost’s offense close enough to see if it’s that much more cutting edge.  

From what I have seen, I do like an offense that keeps the defense guessing and utilizes chess-like strategy and deception.  Can’t wait!

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

In general I'm in favor of an offense that attempts at all times to dictate to a defense.  Make them guess, put stress on them, don't let them tee off on your QB, that kind of stuff. 

We'll see how it plays out in games. In theory it's a nice idea. 

We saw them do exactly that at UCF. The problem, as we will see vs Auburn, is when a defense can make up numbers with superior talent. 

5 hours ago, brophog said:

We saw them do exactly that at UCF. The problem, as we will see vs Auburn, is when a defense can make up numbers with superior talent. 

Works ok for Ohio St. Penn St.   Indiana looked pretty good runny their offense as fast as they did.  We dont have the Ohio St or Penn St athletes yet but I think we will be fine.

And if it gets us 11-12 wins and 1 loss a year im cool with it.

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

In general I'm in favor of an offense that attempts at all times to dictate to a defense.  Make them guess, put stress on them, don't let them tee off on your QB, that kind of stuff. 

We'll see how it plays out in games. In theory it's a nice idea. 

I don't mind the stress... I just don't want to hear about "the strain"....

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Landlord said:

If the offense goes through growing pains in year one, I'm calling it now - it's gonna be the Tim Beck criticisms all over again. 'Too multiple!' 'Why do they do that looking to the sideline stuff?' 'Quit getting too cute and going away from what's working', etc.

The complaint with Beck was the aimless yolo bomb play calling and unimaginative running game. 

Lack of QB development.

Ya know. The same thing he did at OSU and now Texas.

Edited by husker98
  • Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

If the offense goes through growing pains in year one, I'm calling it now - it's gonna be the Tim Beck criticisms all over again. 'Too multiple!' 'Why do they do that looking to the sideline stuff?' 'Quit getting too cute and going away from what's working', etc.

I liked some of what Beck did, I like the 'check" with me nascar and indy stuff. Its affective.  I just dont think Taylor Martinez was affective enough in the passing game.

8 hours ago, brophog said:

Box count is box count. You can account for talent in certain areas in that front 7.  Multiple ways to attack means not depending one matchup.  If you are out matched in a area, you attack another area. 

5 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I liked some of what Beck did, I like the 'check" with me nascar and indy stuff. Its affective.  I just dont think Taylor Martinez was affective enough in the passing game.

That Nascar and Indy stuff sure does warm the heart, it's pretty effective too! I think Martinez had so much speed he may not have loved throwing the ball, but he was pretty effective his junior year. 

I always think of rotating OL to go along with this tempo (though subbing would obviously not play into that so well during separate possessions).  Was Oregon one of the teams that subsituted often during games?  I know Oklahoma was one of the rare college football teams that did (does?).

Edited by beorach
13 hours ago, Landlord said:

The offense will struggle early in the year. I predict we are rolling by the end of the year, and curb stomp iowa. Remember the difference in the beginning of 1996 and the end of 1996? The difficulties of a new QB.

• Plus1 1