Huskers Offense Always in 'Attack Mode'

Mavric

1 minute ago, husker98 said:

Simon is wrong. He played a Big role in developing Mariota.

If you'll look above, it was asked how many QBs Frost sent to the league as a HEAD coach.

I made the comment that Frost/Verduzco are as good as it gets in developing quarterbacks.

Simon was paying attention to detail.  Thus the use of "Simon"..... 

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

If you'll look above, it was asked how many QBs Frost sent to the league as a HEAD coach.

I made the comment that Frost/Verduzco are as good as it gets in developing quarterbacks.

Simon was paying attention to detail.  Thus the use of "Simon"..... 

I don't know. Since Scott's been gone Oregon went down hill.

Maybe he was the head coach in all but name....................................

Here is another great job by Chalk talk and the Frost fast offense....It was originally posted in the megathread, but figured it be good to see again.

Part 1 https://huskerchalktalk.com/2017/10/22/lets-talk-scott-frost/

Part 2 https://huskerchalktalk.com/2017/10/24/talking-scott-frost-part-ii/

I like part 2 as it really explains "taking what the defense gives you" and how he uses one play to set up the next and uses formations to give the O advantages....I really like this part. The complexity comes in the simplicity.  Kind of like TO's offenses.....

The beauty of the Frost offense is that UCF only runs 5 blocking schemes for a large percentage of each game.  Sure, they have a few nuances that they’ll roll out now and then, but the overwhelming percentage of their plays are run from these 5 base schemes:

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, husker98 said:

The complaint with Beck was the aimless yolo bomb play calling and unimaginative running game

Lack of QB development.

Ya know. The same thing he did at OSU and now Texas.

I think you're confusing him with someone else.  Under Beck we were ALWAYS at Top 20 rushing offense and sometimes in the Top 10.  He's also responsible for 4 of the Top 10 career rushers in Husker history.

• Plus1 5

44 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think you're confusing him with someone else.  Under Beck we were ALWAYS at Top 20 rushing offense and sometimes in the Top 10.  He's also responsible for 4 of the Top 10 career rushers in Husker history.

I assume you are NOT suggesting that Beck's rushing offense was one of the great in husker history.   Ameer and Burkhead were excellent RBs that piled up a bunch of career yardage totals and carries but I suspect we won't find either one in the top ten of career average yards per carry.   The running game depends on total yards per game and high yards per carry and an offensive attack that strikes fear in every opponent on the schedule.     I don't think we can say many offenses since 2001 did that can we?   We have also had several QBs set career passing records in the last twenty years but it didn't translate into NFL QB draftees nor did it make our passing attack a serious threat to many better defenses.  Overall, we've been mediocre / average offensive teams under Callahan, Pelini and Riley whether we were 'run heavy' or pass happy as described by the head coach or based on the number of plays / ratios, etc.   

We need an offense that can execute at a high level against all defenses, whether it be run heavy or pass heavy or 'multiple'.   I hate the term 'multiple' as it seems like a very vague description of an offense which lacks an identity and lacks the capability to exert its will on the opponent - like being a jack of all trades and master of none.  Many of us may fit that description but we're not winning championships that way either.  We get the job done sufficiently to earn the letter grade of "C" but are not superior A+.   You need to be great at something and not just average at everything.  

Riley's offense (at times) was better than average passing and average at running but often was mediocre passing and far below that running.  That doesn't even rate mediocre or average or 'multple' in my book.  If Frost's offense produces top ten yards and top 20 points scored and can find a way to hold opponents to bottom 1/3rd in both categories, we'll win enough games to have Frost be our HC for a long time.   Time will tell.   Often its the Jimmys and Joes and not the Xs and Os but my preference is to watch the O line push the defense down the field as we play smashmouth and run the dam ball!  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
30 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I assume you are NOT suggesting that Beck's rushing offense was one of the great in husker history.   

His run game (and offense) was the probably the best we've had since the 90's. Certainly better than anything we had under Callahan, Watson, or Riley/Langs. Was he the best OC? No, but he also got alot of undue criticism. Remember, Bo was a micromanager.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, Saunders said:

His run game (and offense) was the probably the best we've had since the 90's. Certainly better than anything we had under Callahan, Watson, or Riley/Langs. Was he the best OC? No, but he also got alot of undue criticism. Remember, Bo was a micromanager.

and that means very little.   None of the offenses we've fielded since 2001 have really been remarkable or notable.  Taylor Martinez had some spectacular games mixed in with some medioocrity and not so good.   But that was him being TMagic and not the offense itself.  

It is really hard to find many players and no teams over the past 15 years that would be considered 'great' and or memorable.  It's hard to remember the years  and the bowls and the games and or the players who made Husker football special frankly.   It's all been too forgetable sadly.   Dam few Husker legends have been born over this time.  We have lacked great players and lacked great coaches.   In fact, I am not really remembering any 'great games' over that period either.   

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

and that means very little.   None of the offenses we've fielded since 2001 have really been remarkable or notable.  Taylor Martinez had some spectacular games mixed in with some medioocrity and not so good.   But that was him being TMagic and not the offense itself.  

It is really hard to find many players and no teams over the past 15 years that would be considered 'great' and or memorable.  It's hard to remember the years  and the bowls and the games and or the players who made Husker football special frankly.   It's all been too forgetable sadly.   Dam few Husker legends have been born over this time.  We have lacked great players and lacked great coaches.   In fact, I am not really remembering any 'great games' over that period either.   

You can't remember any great games or Husker Legends over the last 15 years?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Ameer Abdullah his entire career

Rex Burkhead his entire career and vs Ohio State 2011

Avery Moss

Randy Gregory

Taylor Martinez (and several others whom I would need more time to research)

Ndamukong Suh the last two years of his career and the Big 12 Championship game against Texas

Since 2004 we've had a lot of players who have had great games and/or seasons but those accomplishments were often over-shadowed by an overall team failure and/or under-achievement.

• Plus1 2