Cather & Pound Being Imploded Today

Like thousands of UNL students over the decades, I have a lot of positive memories from living in Cather/Pound for two years. One special aspect of it all was that Cather was the same dorm my dad lived in for four years in the late 70s. I always thought it was cool that I was able to stay in the same dorm building as my dad.

That brings back some memories. My girlfriend (now wife) lived in Pound in the early 80’s so I spent some time there. I can see my old frat house just across 16th from Niehardt. Recognize the Student Union building (if that’s what it still is) and of course the stadium in the background. But there are a lot of new buildings around that I don’t recognize. Guess I need to get back there and check out all the changes on campus.

I was at the implosion. It was pretty cool. I've never watched buildings get demolished like that before.  The whole thing took ten seconds, but for some reason I thought it would be longer.

I counted eight drones in the air over my general area.  I'll bet there were at least two dozen surrounding the blast site. 

I know demolitions are "cool," but, it was a little odd to hear people cheering at their destruction because of the personal connection I have towards that place.

(It should be noted, I'm not speaking down on the people who cheered. It's a very natural reaction. Just stating that it made me feel a little weird.)