OT Doug Johnson [Florida Atlantic - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

32 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Johnson Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, theknife said:

Full court press because this is probably the best OT left on our board!

According to the 247 composite, Hamilton Hall is our highest rated OT left on our board where we have a realistic chance. He is a .82 and this guy is not rated yet. At this point, I would take either because we need depth at that position.

Edited by HuskermanMike
38 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

I just don't get it - what's the story here? 

How is a guy who is offered by half of the SEC and played his senior season not ranked, like at all? 

I will keep banging this drum:

The services are pretty worthless ranking outside the top 100. They just cannot do that much research to appropriately rank all these kids.  Some will be missed, especially ones who ignore the camps.

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

I just don't get it - what's the story here? 

How is a guy who is offered by half of the SEC and played his senior season not ranked, like at all? 

It's the nature of what recruiting has become.  It's easy to throw out "offers" that are meaningless.  Or claim you have offers that aren't really "offers." 

Guys get "offers" early.  But things change.  They don't continue to develop like people thought they would.  Or teams get in on other guys like like more.  Or whatever.  We only get one side of the story and that is usually nothing close to the whole story.  No remedy for it - other than getting rid of signing day and letting guys sign whenever they want.  Then you'd know if the offers are really offers or not.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I will keep banging this drum:

The services are pretty worthless ranking outside the top 100. They just cannot do that much research to appropriately rank all these kids.  Some will be missed, especially ones who ignore the camps.

You're free to believe it.  But it's not the case.  There is some truth to it - there is no way they can accurately rate EVERYONE.  But it's A LOT more than 100.  There are some that should be rated higher but are missed for whatever reason.  But to say it's only good up to 100 is just living in your own reality and ignoring what is actually going on.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

You're free to believe it.  But it's not the case.  There is some truth to it - there is no way they can accurately rate EVERYONE.  But it's A LOT more than 100.  There are some that should be rated higher but are missed for whatever reason.  But to say it's only good up to 100 is just living in your own reality and ignoring what is actually going on.

Pick your own number where the demarc is.  My point, and belief, is that a lot of the guys past 100 turn out to be great college players.  That is due to many factors however, well beyond rankings.  I think it is just silly to only look at rankings and say why team X is worse than team Y.

Just now, runningblind said:

Pick your own number where the demarc is.  My point, and belief, is that a lot of the guys past 100 turn out to be great college players.  That is due to many factors however, well beyond rankings.  I think it is just silly to only look at rankings and say why team X is worse than team Y.

Of course there are.  There are 65 Power 5 teams.  100 players is 1.5 per team.  There are a lot more players than that.  But that has nothing to do with only the top 100 being accurately rated.

People have very different definitions of accuracy for the star ratings, and also forget the fact that it's a prediction.

A few anomalies here and there do not mean the ratings are bad. You're also dealing with high variance. You're predicting potential at a moment in time. If you've got a 5-star kid and a 2-star kid, and they both put in the same effort, the 5 star kid is going to be the best player 99 times out of 100. But a lot of kids who are 5-stars let it go to their heads, and a lot of kids who are 2-stars have a huge chip on their shoulder. Even biology is a factor. One kid might hit his peak height and muscle mass at age 17, another at age 20, even if they're both putting in the same amount of work. The slow-developing kid isn't going to get rated highly.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
  • Mavric changed the title to OT Doug Johnson [Florida Atlantic - Signed LOI]