Great article on new S&C coach Duval

lo country

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff wasn't forcing the players to work as hard and build a competitive attitude.  I am sure Phillipp is very good at his job, but he might have felt he owed Riley for his big Nebraska job, so he wasn't going to rock the boat on the S&C issue.

I would agree with this and the comments from @Enhance  Across the board there seemed to be a lack of accountability.  I think the Defensive position coaches are much better than the results in the field. I think they were screwed by Diaco.  Same with Philips.  We had issues for sure, but he was the least of the problems.

• Plus1 2

I love ripping on the last staff, probably more than anyone and I am probably the best at it...but...weight room stuff is more on the players.  When you are a freshmen in HS and start lifting you usually get in a "team" with older kids, juniors and seniors that will basically hold you to task...it needs to be that way.

Also...Riley stinks

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I love ripping on the last staff, probably more than anyone and I am probably the best at it...but...weight room stuff is more on the players.  When you are a freshmen in HS and start lifting you usually get in a "team" with older kids, juniors and seniors that will basically hold you to task...it needs to be that way.

Also...Riley stinks

It's tough for me to say it's more of a player problem. I'm a big believer that sports teams and companies are a product of the tone set by management and, in particular, the head person. Accountability and culture comes from the top and percolates through the team/organization.

Elite coaches in any sport are elite relationship/culture people. It was an underrated aspect of TO's tenure.

49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's tough for me to say it's more of a player problem. I'm a big believer that sports teams and companies are a product of the tone set by management and, in particular, the head person. Accountability and culture comes from the top and percolates through the team/organization.

Elite coaches in any sport are elite relationship/culture people. It was an underrated aspect of TO's tenure.

Oh I totally agree with you...I just think that how the coaches are is how the older players will be too...if that makes sense.

A few years ago I got tossed into a HC position because of some bulls#!t that went on and I did a really crappy job.  I let the good players skip practice (basically on their own word) when they were hurt or dinged up...but really looking back on it they just didn't want to practice.  We had a s#!tty season...had I been better with them and had they been better leaders (if I had been a better leader for them) I think we would have been a bad ass team.  But they saw an easy way out and took it...I set a bad tone and they followed it.  I wish they had been badasses since I sucked.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I refuse to ever get excited over a new S&C coach/program until I see results.  Too many times I have read "Coach X is just what this team needs for S&C"  or "We worked harder than we ever have in our life" or yada, yada, yada.

Guarantee you we're going to see an article come spring that talks about how 'S&C is totally different,' 'best shape of my life,' etc.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

The media likes to pump sunshine up our skirts regarding our teams.  They must sell more papers when they do this.  Otherwise, it's best to sit back and see what happens.  

So true...

It is J-school 101...

1.  Start with positive articles when things still seem positive.  

2.  Get a nice fan base

3.  Start with negative articles when things start to seem negative.

If you skip step 1 and 2...you end up being run out of town.

I agree with the above ref the hardest we've worked, best shape etc.....One difference is Frost.  He doesn't appear to be a sunshine pumper. he knows what it takes to win and what will make teams lose.  Whatever comes out of winter conditioning, spring, fall etc will be from the press.  I imagine Frost and Co might tamp down on the "optimism" coming out of camp.......

A few quotes that shows Frost is a level headed, no nonsense kind of coach......

2. "This signing day gets over-hyped, and I'm never going to be the one that does the overhyping."

"You're not going to see our staff jumping around in the coaching staff room every time we get a NLI (national letter of intent). I just don't think that's honest."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-frost-s-comments-suggest-sorely-needed-style/article_1e9bc36e-e845-5c35-9190-89b280473f3b.amp.html

• Plus1 1

I think I came to post more of what many have already touched on.  I'm don't think that S&C will be the the solution nor do I think it was the problem, I hope that if Boyd was unhappy with what was happening he would have had a change made, I assume he had enough pull to make that happen.  Phillip seemed to me at times to be the only staff member on the sidelines to showed fire during a game (based on TV shots of him).  That said the old husker power certainly did seem to work although I'm sure it will look different today then it did 20 years ago.