Nebrasketball Game #15- Stetson (Friday, December 29- 7:00pm- BTN+)

"Let's assume Nebraska beats Stetson on Friday and is at 10-5 going into the meat of Big Ten Conference play. The Huskers have 16 league games remaining. If they could go 9-7 or even 8-8 over that stretch, you have to think they'll be right in the conversation for the NCAA tournament. 

I like the make-up of Tim Miles' team this year. I don't think finishing at, or just above .500 is unrealistic. This team needs post-season basketball. Even if they didn't get an NCAA at-large bid with 17-19 wins, you would think they'd be in the NIT. I'm not one of those that believe it's NCAA or bust for Miles this year. If they show promise, compete and at least make the NIT that would be a significant step forward from where they were. This team is also leaps and bounds better than a year ago."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/hol-s-christmas-wish-list

• Plus1 1

In some ways the NIT would be better for the team.  In theory they should last longer in the NIT than the NCAA's which would mean more practice time and leave them a "carrot" for next season.  I'd love to see them in the NCAA's and get a win, but it might be better if they can play 2-4 games in the NIT than 1-2 in the NCAA's.

44 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

In some ways the NIT would be better for the team.  In theory they should last longer in the NIT than the NCAA's which would mean more practice time and leave them a "carrot" for next season.  I'd love to see them in the NCAA's and get a win, but it might be better if they can play 2-4 games in the NIT than 1-2 in the NCAA's.

considering that nebraska has never won even 1 ncaa tourny game....if they could play 2 it would mean they have won our first ever tourny game and would make this an historic season.

17 hours ago, commando said:

considering that nebraska has never won even 1 ncaa tourny game....if they could play 2 it would mean they have won our first ever tourny game and would make this an historic season.

That's why I said I'd love to see them in the NCAA's and get a win, but it might be better for the team long term to get more practice that would go with playing more games and they are more likely to play more games in the NIT than the NCAA's.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

That's why I said I'd love to see them in the NCAA's and get a win, but it might be better for the team long term to get more practice that would go with playing more games and they are more likely to play more games in the NIT than the NCAA's.

At that point, more practice time really isn't going to help much. Basketball is totally different than football (I know you know that), you have a lot less number of plays to work on.. and less fundamentals as well. The main point being, they will have played close to 30 games by that point, a few more won't make a difference in the long run. I think, mentally, a win in the NCAA would be much better for this program and the players..

I, personally, think they end up a game or two over .500.

Edited by Bornhusker

1 hour ago, Bornhusker said:

At that point, more practice time really isn't going to help much. Basketball is totally different than football (I know you know that), you have a lot less number of plays to work on.. and less fundamentals as well. The main point being, they will have played close to 30 games by that point, a few more won't make a difference in the long run. I think, mentally, a win in the NCAA would be much better for this program and the players..

I, personally, think they end up a game or two over .500.

More practice for players like Watson, Palmer & Copeland won't make much difference, but Tshimanga, Allen, Akenten & Thor need all the practice time they can get.

My best guess is that they end up 9-9 in conference play and 18-13.  If everything goes absolutely perfect they could end up 14-4 & 23-8.  I don't see any way they win at Purdue, Ohio State or Minnesota.  Worst case scenario is 7-11 & 16-15.  I don't see them losing to Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers, Indiana or Penn State at home.  To me, @ Northwestern, @ Penn State, Michigan, @ Rutgers, @ Wisconsin, Maryland and @ Illinois are tossups.

The B1G is very weak this year so it will probably take at least 10 or 11 conference wins for the Huskers to make the big dance because they blew their chances to get a couple good non-conference wins.

Wisconsin is getting better but I do think the magic of Bo Ryan is finally gone.

PSU is odd...

Iowa can score but they don't look all that great

Illinois will turnover Nebraska about 25 times...the issue will be if Nebraska can turn them over too.  Neither team has an inside presence

Can't figure out Indiana at all.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:56 PM, ECisGod said:

No

Lets build some momentum and play a clean game here. 

First 3 games of the "real" Big ten season are going to be huge. @NW, @ PUR and home vs Wiscy. We HAVE to go 2-1 if we truly want to make a run at the NCAA tourney.

Stetson isnt awful, but they arent good either. Divine Miles is there "star" and has been in double digits every game he has played in this year.

We have played a few like opponents. Marist(Stetson won by 3) and UCF(Stetson lost by 19)

My thoughts:

You always take the NCAA, always.  Here me out...Winning one game in the NCAA is better than winning the NIT...winning two games at NU in the NCAA and you are a legend.

The practice thing is a bit over-hyped.  This isn't football where practice is hard to do...basketball practice is easy to set up, year round without the coaches being there.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, ECisGod said:

No What?  No, the NIT isn't a better option?  No, more practice time wouldn't be helpful?  No, you don't want to see them in the NCAA and get a win?

The NIT is not better then the tournament.  More practice? These team will have played up words of 30 games and had 90 practices.  The curve of becoming better from practice at that point is on the tail end.  You always go to dance, that is where heros are made, stories are told, and history is molded.  You want to be the first Nebraska team to win the NCAA game, god $&$& dang right they do.  Practice?! You want to play for second place, that is your game.  But no way any sense of anything is the NIT better to go to then the NCAA.