Offseason Workouts

spurs1990

15 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

But... what... 

You weren't there... but you don't believe the players who say "Yeah, if I didn't feel like going, I didn't go".... 

You have more faith in the players than they have in themselves? Is that what I'm getting? 

No. But if more times than not, if something sounds stupid and ridiculous, it normally is. Unless there's a link to a quote, which hasn't been provided, it's garbage. 

The sad truth is that the program and team were ran professionally. There is no easy scapegoat. The team was just terrible, the coaching was terrible, and many of the players just aren't good.

But I suppose it feels better to believe rumors that imply quick fixes.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

No. But if more times than not, if something sounds stupid and ridiculous, it normally is. Unless there's a link to a quote, which hasn't been provided, it's garbage. 

The sad truth is that the program and team were ran professionally. There is no easy scapegoat. The team was just terrible, the coaching was terrible, and many of the players just aren't good.

But I suppose it feels better to believe rumors that imply quick fixes.

No offense, but I'm not digging through dozens of hours of podcasts that I've listened to this season from Tommie Frazier, Rob Zatechka, and Damon Benning. I heard them say these exact things. Rob Z has been railing on Cav since last season about the garbage OL play, and lack of S&C among the OL. He was calling for Decker to start last season, and Cav only gave him a shot because of injury. Damon has been talking about lack of accountability for a long time, and Tommie has repeatedly referred to players skipping workouts.

You're welcome to disagree, but that doesn't make it "garbage."

• Plus1 3

48 minutes ago, Saunders said:

No offense, but I'm not digging through dozens of hours of podcasts that I've listened to this season from Tommie Frazier, Rob Zatechka, and Damon Benning. I heard them say these exact things. Rob Z has been railing on Cav since last season about the garbage OL play, and lack of S&C among the OL. He was calling for Decker to start last season, and Cav only gave him a shot because of injury. Damon has been talking about lack of accountability for a long time, and Tommie has repeatedly referred to players skipping workouts.

You're welcome to disagree, but that doesn't make it "garbage."

No reason to did through anything.  Look at Nate Gerry and his academics and subsequent suspension.....NO accountability......

I agree with you.  No accountability.  None.  And it showed.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, NU5XChamps said:

It comes down to what the kids are willing to put into it.  The S&C coaching staff can only put them in a position to succeed/improve.  After that, it’s all on them.

That's not really true imo. Obviously a big part is what the player puts into it. But there are very real consequences available to the coaches and staff for players who aren't doing the work. If what is being said in this topic is true, there were no consequences with Riley and his staff.

There's a pretty simple consequence they could enact. If you're late or don't show up, you don't play. There are lots of other options, like running stairs, etc.

One thing that cracks me up (this isn't aimed at you) is people who say the players are adults and it's on them to do the work and punishment isn't a good way to go about things.

I was 18-22 once and I failed a semester of college because I didn't like getting up when my alarm went off. There were consequences to that but they weren't immediate and in my face so I was an idiot and ignored them. These players are frankly lucky that they have people there who can immediately make them stop being idiots by giving them immediate, real responses.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

Just now, lo country said:

The reality, IIRC, is that the S&C staff have a lot more time with the team than the "staff" during the "off season".  They have a HUGE ability to set the tone/culture of the team.  They also have the ability to hold them accountable when the "staff" is not allowed contact with the team......

This is the truth!!  Nobody has more contact with the players than the S&C staff.