Offseason Workouts

spurs1990

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, Elliott and Phillip either don’t care or don’t know what they are doing. 

I think it is more that the the HC and staff above them didn’t set the overall standard of accountability. Not sure how much Philip tried to push back against MR, but it is irrelevant as the players weren’t incentivized/encouraged to give extra effort in their training.

Edited by caveman99
  • Plus1 1

The S&C coach answers to the head coach. If there are no on the field consequences (e.g. not playing or not starting) or practice consequences (running 'til you puke) or tutoring consequences then there isn't much the S&C coach can do other than the positive reinforcement stuff.

Don't have any specific reasons but I find it hard to believe Philip is a bad S&C coach.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
On 12/31/2017 at 11:08 PM, caveman99 said:

I think it is more that the the HC and staff above them didn’t set the overall standard of accountability. Not sure how much Philip tried to push back against MR, but it is irrelevant as the players weren’t incentivized/encouraged to give extra effort in their training.

So, the vast majority of the problem was somewhere else than the S&C staff.

On 1/1/2018 at 4:23 AM, Moiraine said:

The S&C coach answers to the head coach. If there are no on the field consequences (e.g. not playing or not starting) or practice consequences (running 'til you puke) or tutoring consequences then there isn't much the S&C coach can do other than the positive reinforcement stuff.

Don't have any specific reasons but I find it hard to believe Philip is a bad S&C coach.

How many football programs has he ran for S&C before NU? 

Edited by Hedley Lamarr

10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many football programs has he ran for S&C before NU? 

When you put his back ground which includes USC in along with working under Bob Elliott (who knows a thing or two about running a S&C program for college football), I have a hard time believing the S&C staff just thought it was perfectly fine to slack off in the weight room and didn't give a crap if players skipped workouts.  

3 minutes ago, macroboy said:

We have a thread like this with every

single

coaching

change.

That's my point.  Every time we have a coaching change, there is a group of people who want to complain about the S&C staff.  Over the last 10-15 years, we have had some very competent S&C coaches go through Lincoln and it always ends the same way.  People claiming the S&C coaches suck and they let them slack off and "no accountability"....bla bla bla.....

Coaching staffs come and go.  S&C staffs come and go.  What remains the same?  Same problems within the team.  That tells me there is something within the mentality of the team that keeps getting passed down from upper classmen to incoming Freshmen that is bad.  Hopefully, the new staff can break that cycle and change the attitude.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When you put his back ground which includes USC in along with working under Bob Elliott (who knows a thing or two about running a S&C program for college football), I have a hard time believing the S&C staff just thought it was perfectly fine to slack off in the weight room and didn't give a crap if players skipped workouts.  

So none? Look I think he was an ok strength coach. Do I think he holds a candle to duval who has a track record both at the college level as well as the private sector in making beasts. Nope not in the slightest. 

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I thought we were talking about our previous staff? 

Sorry....total and complete brain fart on my part.  I meant Epley.  

Epley has been over seeing Philip for the last few years.  Do you think he has totally forgotten how to train football players and what the system should look like?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry....total and complete brain fart on my part.  I meant Epley.  

Epley has been over seeing Philip for the last few years.  Do you think he has totally forgotten how to train football players and what the system should look like?

No I do not, I also have not said Philipp sucked. When you have a first time head strength coach with a leader who is in over his head (Riley) you end up with what we have seen this past year. The culture Riley established made it impossible for him to do squat at a high level. Just like I do not believe Donte is a bad DB coach as his worst year as one was this last season. He is a helluva DB coach who was under an idiot for a DC 

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

No I do not, I also have not said Philipp sucked. When you have a first time head strength coach with a leader who is in over his head (Riley) you end up with what we have seen this past year. The culture Riley established made it impossible for him to do squat at a high level. Just like I do not believe Donte is a bad DB coach as his worst year as one was this last season. He is a helluva DB coach who was under an idiot for a DC 

So....my belief is that if Duval would have been under the previous staffs over the last 10-15 years, he eventually would have left with many fans believing he sucked.

Am I excited to see what he can do? Sure....but the much bigger change is going to have to be within the football staff and the mentality within the team towards workouts.

I believe Duval will eventually end up being looked at as a genius by Husker fans.  However, that will be in large part due to changes in people outside the S&C staff.

• Plus1 1