Offseason Workouts

spurs1990

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Honestly, this notion that strength and conditioning was the problem or that guys "skipped" workouts needs to stop.

It's a stupid scapegoat and was not even close to many of the problems Nebraska faced last year. 

Numerous former players said this was a thing that happened under Riley. It wasn't the problem, but definitely a problem.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Numerous former players said this was a thing that happened under Riley. It wasn't the problem, but definitely a problem.

There was no accountability under Riley’s leadership. “Favorite” players were able to skip workouts, starters had no fear of losing their jobs due to poor play, and the coaching staff didn’t know if they were accountable to Riley or Devaney or Eichorst. The whole thing was a complete mess. 

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm going to call bulls#!t on that one.

Not to call former players liars, but if they've said as much I flat out don't believe them. 

It's a convenient excuse. 

But... what... 

You weren't there... but you don't believe the players who say "Yeah, if I didn't feel like going, I didn't go".... 

You have more faith in the players than they have in themselves? Is that what I'm getting? 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm going to call bulls#!t on that one.

Not to call former players liars, but if they've said as much I flat out don't believe them. 

It's a convenient excuse. 

It's fine. You can choose to not believe them, but that doesn't make it incorrect. I had heard that rumor before I heard them talk about it. It's all part of the lack of accountability that has permeated the program for awhile.

It happened. You'll see the news trickle out during the spring/summer.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am of the opinion that the problems have not been with the S&C staff. 

We have had very well respected staff members here in this field. 

The disconect is in the team. 

I think the lack of toughness is partially their fault. How many games did we see our guys repeatedly on the ground after plays, and not the opponents?

8 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I think the lack of toughness is partially their fault. How many games did we see our guys repeatedly on the ground after plays, and not the opponents?

You really think Phillip and Elliott lack the ability to make players tough?  

The only way way that happens is if the players come with the wrong mentality. 

Why would these strength coaches be successful with other teams and not this one?

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You really think Phillip and Elliott lack the ability to make players tough?  

The only way way that happens is if the players come with the wrong mentality. 

Why would these strength coaches be successful with other teams and not this one?

Because I don't think they were given full control. There's too much smoke out there from guys like Tommie, Damon, Rob Z, and other players about the S&C problems for it to be a fluke.

I distinctly remember us playing games against Purdue and NW this year, and our guys consistently being on the ground or coming off the field dinged up. That should not happen.

• Plus1 3