spurs1990

Offseason Workouts

10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many football programs has he ran for S&C before NU? 

When you put his back ground which includes USC in along with working under Bob Elliott (who knows a thing or two about running a S&C program for college football), I have a hard time believing the S&C staff just thought it was perfectly fine to slack off in the weight room and didn't give a crap if players skipped workouts.  

3 minutes ago, macroboy said:

We have a thread like this with every

single

coaching

change.

That's my point.  Every time we have a coaching change, there is a group of people who want to complain about the S&C staff.  Over the last 10-15 years, we have had some very competent S&C coaches go through Lincoln and it always ends the same way.  People claiming the S&C coaches suck and they let them slack off and "no accountability"....bla bla bla.....

Coaching staffs come and go.  S&C staffs come and go.  What remains the same?  Same problems within the team.  That tells me there is something within the mentality of the team that keeps getting passed down from upper classmen to incoming Freshmen that is bad.  Hopefully, the new staff can break that cycle and change the attitude.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When you put his back ground which includes USC in along with working under Bob Elliott (who knows a thing or two about running a S&C program for college football), I have a hard time believing the S&C staff just thought it was perfectly fine to slack off in the weight room and didn't give a crap if players skipped workouts.  

So none? Look I think he was an ok strength coach. Do I think he holds a candle to duval who has a track record both at the college level as well as the private sector in making beasts. Nope not in the slightest. 

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So none? Look I think he was an ok strength coach. Do I think he holds a candle to duval who has a track record both at the college level as well as the private sector in making beasts. Nope not in the slightest. 

And Elliott???

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I thought we were talking about our previous staff? 

Sorry....total and complete brain fart on my part.  I meant Epley.  

Epley has been over seeing Philip for the last few years.  Do you think he has totally forgotten how to train football players and what the system should look like?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Epley has been over seeing Philip for the last few years.  Do you think he has totally forgotten how to train football players and what the system should look like?

No I do not, I also have not said Philipp sucked. When you have a first time head strength coach with a leader who is in over his head (Riley) you end up with what we have seen this past year. The culture Riley established made it impossible for him to do squat at a high level. Just like I do not believe Donte is a bad DB coach as his worst year as one was this last season. He is a helluva DB coach who was under an idiot for a DC 

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

No I do not, I also have not said Philipp sucked. When you have a first time head strength coach with a leader who is in over his head (Riley) you end up with what we have seen this past year. The culture Riley established made it impossible for him to do squat at a high level. Just like I do not believe Donte is a bad DB coach as his worst year as one was this last season. He is a helluva DB coach who was under an idiot for a DC 

So....my belief is that if Duval would have been under the previous staffs over the last 10-15 years, he eventually would have left with many fans believing he sucked.

Am I excited to see what he can do? Sure....but the much bigger change is going to have to be within the football staff and the mentality within the team towards workouts.

I believe Duval will eventually end up being looked at as a genius by Husker fans.  However, that will be in large part due to changes in people outside the S&C staff.

...character will be revealed next year and the year following, the “talkers”from the “doers”will be able to be spotted..being a Organizational leader most of adult life in military, certain concepts and methodologies are the same regardless of the organization..

...I happened to take over Organization that had systemic , deep problems, it took about 2 years to weed out many, who was left rose to the occasion and organization took off for the better..where I’m going with this is this..changing attitude and creating a intense environment of perfection of the goal, never attained, however not Satisfied unless marching towards that goal take TIME..

..I do hope the boosters and fans simply leave Frost ALONE..and not jump all'over his every move...this Man is the guy to do what’s needed in Lincoln, my doubts are not in him, my uncertainty is more towards the boosters and select, not all, but some fans who will armchair QB his every move...which is not helpful to MR Frost in any way...He knows what he needs to do..

...character will be revealed next year and the year following, the “talkers”from the “doers”will be able to be spotted..being a Organizational leader most of adult life in military, certain concepts and methodologies are the same regardless of the organization..

...I happened to take over Organization that had systemic , deep problems, it took about 2 years to weed out many, who was left rose to the occasion and organization took off for the better..where I’m going with this is this..changing attitude and creating a intense environment of perfection of the goal, never attained, however not Satisfied unless marching towards that goal take TIME..

..I do hope the boosters and fans simply leave Frost ALONE..and not jump all'over his every move...this Man is the guy to do what’s needed in Lincoln, my doubts are not in him, my uncertainty is more towards the boosters and select, not all, but some fans who will armchair QB his every move...which is not helpful to MR Frost in any way...He knows what he needs to do..

2 hours ago, Depressed Husker said:

I am hoping that Moos understands that one of his primary functions is to insulate Frost from the meddlers (Boosters). 

Just wanted to check in and see if the player's were working harder than they ever have and are in the best shape of their lives yet?  I think we saw this same work effort and improvement in both 2007 and 2014 as well.  I'm hopeful the new S&C coach can yield similar player sentiments this time around.

Edited by dspanther05

1 hour ago, dspanther05 said:

Just wanted to check in and see if the player's were working harder than they ever have and are in the best shape of their lives yet?  I think we saw this same work effort and improvement in both 2007 and 2014 as well.  I'm hopeful the new S&C coach can yield similar player sentiments this time around.

Dont forget how the new defense is really gonna let the front 7 loose. No more thinking they are just gonna play now. 

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is false. Boyd Epley and Mike Arthur were basically cut off from the football S and C program. They oversaw the other programs but the football coaches basically ignored their advice. All incoming freshmen have to be  tested to get a baseline for their athletic abilities. And from freshman year to now some athletes actually regressed instead of improving.

Also, Mark Phillip has never been able to pass the tests to get his liscencing to actually be a strength and conditioning coach. He is literally not qualified to be a strength and conditioning coach...

So yes a lot of the problem was our strength and conditioning program. But that was obvious just by watching the games.

Mike Riley’s regime was a complete mess in every sense of the word. Going back to a comment Bill Moose made in a press conference, players left messed on busses and planes after games which shows a lack of basic discipline. The locker room was a disaster after games as well as before with reports that players would have girls in the locker room even before games.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:55 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

There was no accountability under Riley’s leadership. “Favorite” players were able to skip workouts, starters had no fear of losing their jobs due to poor play, and the coaching staff didn’t know if they were accountable to Riley or Devaney or Eichorst. The whole thing was a complete mess. 

At my college if you missed a workout for the next 5 days you had “dawn patrol”. 5am running up every basketball step in our coliseum. And your position coach had to be there too. Trust me, if your position coach has to get up at 4:30am to run your ass you weren’t missing any more workouts. Accountability can happen. 

Edited by I am I

Epley and Arthur were pushing for Phillip to include metabolic circuit training and their request was just flat out ignored. Reports now are that players have already started doing this type of training. Or at least that it’s what they will start doing when they get back on campus. 

We we are going to see a vastly improved, faster, and more physical team next fall.

13 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many football programs has he ran for S&C before NU? 

I admitted I don't have any specific reasons. It can easily be argued he didn't have the credentials a Nebraska S&C coach should have.

But my argument is people just like to blame the S&C coach.

All you have to do is look at the physiques of our offensive linemen to know that there was a strength and conditioning problem.  Small arms, flat chests, big bellies.  Not what you would see from guys who spend enough time in the weight room.