Troy Walters: ‘No Block, No Rock’

Mavric

After viewing the previous experience of all these assistant coaches, I’m going to say something (likely unpopular) I haven’t really seen discussed on HB. It really is not a very impressive staff if all you consider is the resumes. If you were to ignore the last 1 or 2 seasons of this combined staff, on paper, they would appear worse than anything we’ve had in the last 15 years.

Im not complaining about the staff, in fact I think the energy and chemistry and results they have exhibited is much more important than a paper resume but really, it just doesn’t appear to be impressive at all. Am I wrong?

• Plus1 5
7 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

After viewing the previous experience of all these assistant coaches, I’m going to say something (likely unpopular) I haven’t really seen discussed on HB. It really is not a very impressive staff if all you consider is the resumes. If you were to ignore the last 1 or 2 seasons of this combined staff, on paper, they would appear worse than anything we’ve had in the last 15 years.

Im not complaining about the staff, in fact I think the energy and chemistry and results they have exhibited is much more important than a paper resume but really, it just doesn’t appear to be impressive at all. Am I wrong?

I think that’s fair to say.  And I’ve been waiting for someone to say something along those line. 

As you alluded to, the other side of the coin is that doing it the other way hasn’t exactly gotten us great results.  I think we’re seeing that Pelini’s crew didn’t really get enough credit for what they were actually able to do on the field - not that it was great but it was a lot harder to win 9-10 games and division championships than a lot of people thought it was.  But overall disappointing results.

So I’m fine with trying a different route.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah, they certainly are young, and lack the years of coaching compared to other guys. However.... look at last year. A HC who had decades of experience, yet mediocre results, an experienced OC who couldn’t devise a run game worth anything, and an extremely experienced OL coach who produced one of the worst OL’s in school history.

• Plus1 8

Just now, Saunders said:

Yeah, they certainly are young, and lack the years of coaching compared to other guys. However.... look at last year. A HC who had decades of experience, yet mediocre results, an experienced OC who couldn’t devise a run game worth anything, and an extremely experienced OL coach who produced one of the worst OL’s in school history.

Yep.  I'll take this staff over the last.  The new one went 12-0........And have the most explosive O in FBS to date.....

As @Comfortably Numb said above, when looking back on the staff were they really that good?  They could get the stars to NU, but the classes were not much higher than Bo's....Coupled with going 4-8......Unsure on the D if that was just the "strain" of Diaco....I'm leaning to give them more of a break than the O.....The on field production didn't live up to the resumes of the previous staff.

• Plus1 1

2 good points in this thread- 1. the new staff has very little experience especially in P5 schools

2.Having P5 experienced coaches haven't equaled winning / success

both points don't clearly state the obvious reason why this crew should outperform the last-  the last crew were proven losers- I think it is clear to anyone now that the Riley hire and crew had a predictable outcome based on their past history, and however abbreviated the history may be for Frosts crew, they have a predictable outcome, which in the short term will be getting back to winning seasons and long term will be winning Championships.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'm right there with you on this.  Individually, they are a "meh" group.  But, i think together, the chemistry and amount of trust between them overcomes their collective lack of resume.  They're going to make mistakes and they'll need time to gel with their new team, but i think they'll get there in a year or two.

• Plus1 1

I think both sides are fair. I think it makes a lot of sense to trust Frost and to trust the people Frost trusts. I’m not entirely sure that everyone on his staff deserved major raises, but we will find out quickly if anyone isn’t qualified/pulling their weight.

It feels like a situation where in two years, we all look back and say, “well, obviously he shouldn’t have brought his entire coaching staff with him.” Or it could work out just fine - Frost has already achieved success as a head coach and knows what he’s doing. Either way, I think it’s important that we have the unpopular discussions about things like this so that we aren’t blindsided like we were with this season.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Yep.  I'll take this staff over the last.  The new one went 12-0........And have the most explosive O in FBS to date.....

As @Comfortably Numb said above, when looking back on the staff were they really that good?  They could get the stars to NU, but the classes were not much higher than Bo's....Coupled with going 4-8......Unsure on the D if that was just the "strain" of Diaco....I'm leaning to give them more of a break than the O.....The on field production didn't live up to the resumes of the previous staff.

Yeah, I was going to be okay with them holding on too Keith Williams, but in retrospect he was more hype than anything else. There just weren't many results. Despite Morgan/Spielman's  big seasons, I still think Coach Fisher routinely put out better WR groups. Not to mention his supposed recruiting acumen, yet the position group is currently undermanned as bad as any on the team.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 6
1 hour ago, Whistlepig said:

2 good points in this thread- 1. the new staff has very little experience especially in P5 schools

2.Having P5 experienced coaches haven't equaled winning / success

both points don't clearly state the obvious reason why this crew should outperform the last-  the last crew were proven losers- I think it is clear to anyone now that the Riley hire and crew had a predictable outcome based on their past history, and however abbreviated the history may be for Frosts crew, they have a predictable outcome, which in the short term will be getting back to winning seasons and long term will be winning Championships.

Most coaches that are coaching right now didn't start off at P5 schools:

Nick Saban - Toledo

Urban Meyer - Illinois State, Bowling Green

Mike Leach - Coached at Cal Poly, College of the Desert (Whaaaaa?!?), Pori Bears (Whaaaaaa??!!??!?), Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State prior to getting his first P5 Job.

Gus Malzahn - Coached High School Football, Toledo prior to his Arkansas Tenure

• Plus1 1