Troy Walters: ‘No Block, No Rock’

Mavric

Just now, Dogs In A Pile said:

I could be wrong but it probably has more do with the fact he and his staff took over a program that was 0-12 two years ago and went undefeated in his second season. Taking a G5 school to a New Years Day bowl with the big boys. Would you rather he come in and try to put together a bunch of strangers from scratch?

I'm ecstatic he was able to bring his entire staff including some support personnel. They will be able to hit the ground running and won't have to wait for a bunch of guys thrown together to get to know each other, gel (or start in-fighting and back stabbing as seen before) and learn the system they are going to teach.

It has been a while since we've had a truly cohesive staff IMHO and from all that we have heard these coaches work together as a unit very well and I believe the results will be seen on the field in fairly short order.

Frost wanted all of those guys at Nebraska because they already went through a turnaround project at UCF and have experience doing so. Yes, things are different in the Big Ten and a bigger conference, but for the initial turnaround, I am glad this is the staff that NU has. There is cohesion and trust within the staff. If the staff is successful, I expect a few assistants to move on to other jobs within 1-3 years, because there is always turnover in college football.  That’s when it will be interesting to see where Frost goes to hire the new guys.  I don’t expect Frost to care a ton about P5 experience being mandatory, because Frost was at Northern Iowa before he was hired at Oregon. Good coaches are at every level of football, and great head coaches can spot them. 

Just now, krc1995 said:

No silly, his new job. 

I think he’s not a coach per se, and more of an admin role. I think he’s a conduit between Frost and Moos and anyone else within the athletic department.  I think he will be a like his consigliere and help him with small details of things, so Frost doesn’t have to worry about them.  

I think Frost will not fire anyone after this first or second year in the program. I would say it would take year three and a lot of bad coaching before he fires anyone because these are coaches he trusts. If anyone were to be fired it would probably be a coach on the defensive side of the ball-  d-backs or d-line are the most likely.

People will call for Chins head but I like him and hopefully, he can get this defense to play at an elite level in a couple years. We need stability on the defensive side of the ball instead of just changing coaches and potentially changing systems. 

To the OP, I really like the hire of Walters and he will bring some familiarity of the offense to the players. As a wide receiver coach, he definitely got the most out of his players at UCF and has a lot of talent to work with here.

3 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Most coaches that are coaching right now didn't start off at P5 schools:

Nick Saban - Toledo

Urban Meyer - Illinois State, Bowling Green

Mike Leach - Coached at Cal Poly, College of the Desert (Whaaaaa?!?), Pori Bears (Whaaaaaa??!!??!?), Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State prior to getting his first P5 Job.

Gus Malzahn - Coached High School Football, Toledo prior to his Arkansas Tenure

Yeah loom a Dabo Swinney he did have a head coaching job before taking over clemson.

Who would we be stealing these elite, experienced, coaches from??

Most programs are recycling talent which we just did with Riley’s staff. Nebraska’s previous success has come from building from the ground up. Devaney started at Wyoming (non-P5) and Tom started at NU as an assistant. Their assistants had the same story. Nebraska was built from the ground up the first time around. I like that Frost will be giving it another go!

15 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I think Frost will not fire anyone after this first or second year in the program. I would say it would take year three and a lot of bad coaching before he fires anyone because these are coaches he trusts. If anyone were to be fired it would probably be a coach on the defensive side of the ball-  d-backs or d-line are the most likely.

People will call for Chins head but I like him and hopefully, he can get this defense to play at an elite level in a couple years. We need stability on the defensive side of the ball instead of just changing coaches and potentially changing systems. 

To the OP, I really like the hire of Walters and he will bring some familiarity of the offense to the players. As a wide receiver coach, he definitely got the most out of his players at UCF and has a lot of talent to work with here.

I'm on the record for thinking Chins will suck. Think hiring a more experienced DC would have been a better play. I figure they will better than Diaco and his crap but will struggle to be above average while at NU. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

And here is why I don’t get the cries for wideouts, at least in this stage of the rebuild.  To start being successful within the conference we must pound the rock and defend against it. That is all. 

I think attempting to line up and pound the rock at opposing B1G defenses is a recipe for failure. We don't have the OL or backs to do that, and B1G defenses tend to be stout against the run.

And Frost's offense at his last two stops hasn't pounded the rock but instead has been prolific in spreading the field and in passing.

30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think attempting to line up and pound the rock at opposing B1G defenses is a recipe for failure. We don't have the OL or backs to do that, and B1G defenses tend to be stout against the run.

And Frost's offense at his last two stops hasn't pounded the rock but instead has been prolific in spreading the field and in passing.

Which recipe do you want-The one got success or the one for failure?  If you’re in the B1G you better play B1G ball. We better get good at it.

2 hours ago, KCBuc said:

I'm on the record for thinking Chins will suck. Think hiring a more experienced DC would have been a better play. I figure they will better than Diaco and his crap but will struggle to be above average while at NU. 

Of course you are because youre not a Nebraska fan unless you think a hire will fail before the first game he coaches in. 

• Plus1 2