Troy Walters: ‘No Block, No Rock’

Mavric

11 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

They're going to have growing pains for sure, but there are some pretty smart fellas leading the team, and they'll get it in time.  It's the ultimate OJT.  As long as they get back to fundamentals, the rest will work itself out.  (IMHO)

Amen. I feel like I’m being a lot of issues into this relationship but I’m all-in as usual. 

9 hours ago, krc1995 said:

And here is why I don’t get the cries for wideouts, at least in this stage of the rebuild.  To start being successful within the conference we must pound the rock and defend against it. That is all. 

Couldn't agree more!!!  The rebuild needs to be the O line and D.  Sooner or later somebody will figure it out.  All Div 1 winning teams have speed.  

4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Kind of special, maybe?  I think they lose credibility with people because they’re not flashy, just sound.   I would trade our last 10 years for theirs.  And for about 2 1/2 quarters of this year’s game, I thought we were going to win. There was one point early in the 3rd I thought we might blow in wide open. But then they just pounded the rock. I think one possession lasted like 7 or 8 minutes. How frustrating was that? To know what was coming and not be able to do anything about it. I want to be frustrating. 

And look at their recruiting classes. A fair portion of their base recruiting is the Great Lakes area. It’s like they shun what they should do for what they need to do.

Badgers pound the rock and stop the run thats why they win in the Big Ten.  They do it very well.   

4 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

We know you like a certain style, but unfortunately, that style is not something Nebraska will run. We are running a fast-paced up-tempo offense that keeps the safeties guessing all game and comes at you fast. Scott will stick to his style of offense and it will work in the big ten West. No reason corners from the likes of Iowa, Minnesota, Ilinois, Purdue, NW should lock down the receivers we have at Nebraska. Wisconsin might be able to contain it but not completely shut it down.

I will agree with you on a win is a win. In the first few seasons, let's start with wins rather than margin of victory. But I would rather do it with an offense Frost is comfortable with, which is fast paced and keep you guessing.

Fast paced offense means nothing when the other team pounds the rock and has 8-9 minute sustained drives. That's the Big Ten and its the exact blueprint that was used to beat Chip Kelly and all the following teams from Oregon after his departure.  Come second half the little go fast teams get tired of getting beat on by the big lines on both sides of the ball.   Everyone knows how to defend the uptempo spread offenses these days.

9 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I could be wrong but it probably has more do with the fact he and his staff took over a program that was 0-12 two years ago and went undefeated in his second season. Taking a G5 school to a New Years Day bowl with the big boys. Would you rather he come in and try to put together a bunch of strangers from scratch?

I'm ecstatic he was able to bring his entire staff including some support personnel. They will be able to hit the ground running and won't have to wait for a bunch of guys thrown together to get to know each other, gel (or start in-fighting and back stabbing as seen before) and learn the system they are going to teach.

It has been a while since we've had a truly cohesive staff IMHO and from all that we have heard these coaches work together as a unit very well and I believe the results will be seen on the field in fairly short order.

Let's also be realistic.  They had a down 0-12 year.  They went 12-1 and won the Fiesta Bowl in 2013.  They went 9-4 in 2014.   Its not some total rebuild.  UCF played lot's of winning Football with O'leary.  Great job no doubt, but I'll say it again,  UCF schedule super weak.     

4 hours ago, NWHuskerfan said:

Fast paced offense means nothing when the other team pounds the rock and has 8-9 minute sustained drives. That's the Big Ten and its the exact blueprint that was used to beat Chip Kelly and all the following teams from Oregon after his departure.  Come second half the little go fast teams get tired of getting beat on by the big lines on both sides of the ball.   Everyone knows how to defend the uptempo spread offenses these days.

If everyone knows how to defend the uptempo spread offenses these days, then why do teams still have success running these types of offenses?  

• Plus1 3
17 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Which recipe do you want-The one got success or the one for failure?  If you’re in the B1G you better play B1G ball. We better get good at it.

So we should follow a similar recipe to the one tOSU uses, which isn't ground and pound at all. I agree.

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

We should copy whatever Wiscy is doing. Start by winning the division 

So you want to try to copy another team in our own division that's already good at the things we want to copy? Isn't that a recipe for playing second-fiddle to Wisconsin?

Let's try doing what Frost has been successful with up to this point - spreading the field and a mix of run and pass.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

So we should follow a similar recipe to the one tOSU uses, which isn't ground and pound at all. I agree.

So you want to try to copy another team in our own division that's already good at the things we want to copy? Isn't that a recipe for playing second-fiddle to Wisconsin?

Let's try doing what Frost has been successful with up to this point - spreading the field and a mix of run and pass.

One last time. When you “pound the rock” you control the clock. When you control the clock you keep the opponet’s offense off the field. Think about the positives of keeping Ohio State’s high scoring offense off the field. In the early rebuild- let’s say in the next two years- playing fundamentally sound football which includes effective clock management-will be the short term answer. Again, in a perfect world, we could go up tempo, slow tempo, or whatever tempo with ease but we have regressed so much in all phases game you have to start by doing one thing well and IMO that one thing is not spreading the offense but controlling the clock. 

and Wiscy did this to perfection against us. I admire their style and you betcha, I would love to see us copy it. At least in the short term.  Do the one thing we’ll and then evolve

Frost is going to be awesome. I just feel it, but to think he’s going to come and dictate to the B1G is naive and not realistic. He’s much smarter than that. 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:
19 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Which recipe do you want-The one got success or the one for failure?  If you’re in the B1G you better play B1G ball. We better get good at it.

OSU leads the B1G in rushing yards per game and is 17th in the nation. How's that not ground and pound?

• Plus1 1