Troy Walters: ‘No Block, No Rock’

Mavric

so you have selective memory?  We all remember the successful seasons that NU had - we get better by improving upon the seasons that didn't go so well.  Wasn't there a team that joined the BigTen before NU that rolled the league in its first season - guessing they went with what they knew.  Have you already forgotten the quote from SF that stated that he will make BigTen teams adjust to his style.  The tone that he stated that with was not a joking tone.

19 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

so you have selective memory?  We all remember the successful seasons that NU had - we get better by improving upon the seasons that didn't go so well.  Wasn't there a team that joined the BigTen before NU that rolled the league in its first season - guessing they went with what they knew.  Have you already forgotten the quote from SF that stated that he will make BigTen teams adjust to his style.  The tone that he stated that with was not a joking tone.

Cool.  Better have a butt kickin defense just in case though. 

7 hours ago, krc1995 said:

One last time. When you “pound the rock” you control the clock. When you control the clock you keep the opponet’s offense off the field. Think about the positives of keeping Ohio State’s high scoring offense off the field. In the early rebuild- let’s say in the next two years- playing fundamentally sound football which includes effective clock management-will be the short term answer. Again, in a perfect world, we could go up tempo, slow tempo, or whatever tempo with ease but we have regressed so much in all phases game you have to start by doing one thing well and IMO that one thing is not spreading the offense but controlling the clock. 

and Wiscy did this to perfection against us. I admire their style and you betcha, I would love to see us copy it. At least in the short term.  Do the one thing we’ll and then evolve

Frost is going to be awesome. I just feel it, but to think he’s going to come and dictate to the B1G is naive and not realistic. He’s much smarter than that. 

No, you control the clock if you get first downs and don't tend to have big plays. So if you "pound the rock" and go 3 and out, you won't control the clock Or if you score in a handful of plays, you also won't control the clock - but you'll be putting points on the board. Also, controlling the clock is one of the least meaningful stats in football. I'll take an offense that scores more often over one that controls the clock any day of the week.

Frost's offenses do the exact opposite of the bolded part. He spreads the field and doesn't attempt the control the clock that I've ever seen.

7 hours ago, Gage County said:

OSU leads the B1G in rushing yards per game and is 17th in the nation. How's that not ground and pound?

Running the ball is not the same as "ground and pound", which implies heavy sets and out-muscling the other team at the point of attack.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

No, you control the clock if you get first downs and don't tend to have big plays. So if you "pound the rock" and go 3 and out, you won't control the clock Or if you score in a handful of plays, you also won't control the clock - but you'll be putting points on the board. Also, controlling the clock is one of the least meaningful stats in football. I'll take an offense that scores more often over one that controls the clock any day of the week.

Frost's offenses do the exact opposite of the bolded part. He spreads the field and doesn't attempt the control the clock that I've ever seen.

Running the ball is not the same as "ground and pound", which implies heavy sets and out-muscling the other team at the point of attack.

What is so different from Riley or Callahan’s  style and why will Frost be able to have different results?  

Again, better have a really good defensive because here is what’s going to happen in the transition years- we’re going to score, they’re going to score, we’re going to turn over the ball, they’re going to score, we’re going to score, they’re going score, we’ll have to punt, they score. Seen it, lived it.  Slow down the tempo, hog the ball because when we have the ball, they can’t score. 

7 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Except he didnt say they will have to adapt to him. He said they hope they have to adapt to his offense. 

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.....

frosts offense includes a lot a lot of what many husker fans have complained about over the last 10+ years. 

I think he's probably better at it though. I felt like Beck was running an offense he didn't know much about and Martinez made it look good because he was gone if you blinked. But against the teams that didn't blink we didn't have an answer. If we could get a better version of what we had from 2010-2012, we'd be doing very well, at least on offense. It seemed to me (and I'm pretty sure it's the case) that Pelini/Beck were trying to run an offense like Oregon's.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That is so dang dumb. 

When I was a kid (and still had hopes and dreams) I would play Madden on Sega Genesis...I basically got so bored with the game that I would get the opening kick off and run out of bounds at the 1 yard line, so that I had to go 99 yards.  I would take the entire play clock on each play and sometime even take a penalty for delay of game.  I would do this over and over until I used up the entire first half (5 minute quarters) and go into halftime up 7-0 with the other team never touching the ball.

I have a feeling some Husker fans want that. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think he's probably better at it though. I felt like Beck was running an offense he didn't know much about and Martinez made it look good because he was gone if you blinked. But against the teams that didn't blink we didn't have an answer. If we could get a better version of what we had from 2010-2012, we'd be doing very well, at least on offense. It seemed to me (and I'm pretty sure it's the case) that Pelini/Beck were trying to run an offense like Oregon's.

Couldn't agree more. Beck was a very inexperienced playcaller that was given the keys/responsibility to an offense transitioning to the B1G. I felt he could be creative at times drawing up plays, but struggled mightily with the feel of a game(making in game adjustments).

Frost's offense will definitely be a run first mentality and that's why it's important to Walters that his WRs are blockers. They are key for those running lanes in space for the speedy backs to make plays. It is also important in the screen game.

Frost will also bring back a mobile QB that will force teams to play 11 on 11 football, and I suspect those QBs will much more adequate passers than Beck signed/developed. Also require a team to defend the entire field. If your team has a strong LB'ing core, spreading them out with multiple receiver sets will either force them to run and cover in space or get them into a package they are less comfortable with, i.e. an extra DB. 

17 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Your right most coaches could have done that -  can't believe he fooled all those voters.  Not us NU fans thou......

He's a good coach but people act they were an irrelevant before he got there.  They made the fiesta bowl and beat Baylor in 2013.  If you paid attention to these boards you'd think ucf was irrelevant for awhile before frost got there.

• Plus1 1