Nick Gates

Red Five

Gates is an overrated punk. A bit of a dirty player and not disciplined, I seem to remember many 3rd downs in '17 where he would hold, of move before the snap

Wasn't he recruited by Bo? Yes, we had some great players under Bo, but also ones like Gates.And Gates got schooled in huge games - vs Wisconsin and Ohio State especially. 

If he can't see how he'll grow and benefit under Frost and staff, then good riddance. And good luck. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think Stanley would have a chance making it on a team if he left early. But I hope be doesn't.

I do too but I think he’s one that could potentially really raise his draft stock by staying another year.  Think he could get a ton of yards under this staff, plus if he could eliminate the drops (which I think he can), I think he could really prove he’s an even more special player than we’ve seen.  

• Plus1 1

I looked at Gate's picture in a recent newspaper article, and it is stunning at how little muscle tone he has. I don't know if it is injury, the coaching staff requirements or lack of accountability, but he doesn't look like a Power 5 OL. I hope he makes it in the NFL, but I liked the way UCF's OL handled Auburn. I hope we see that next year.

The one thing I noticed about Gates is how slow/bad his footwork was . It was very evident to me during the Tennessee game last year and since . Barnett (an nfl quality player)  ran right past Gates before his feet even moved . I don’t see how he thinks his chances against other NFL guys are going to be any better . Also tackle in the nfl is very important . You are protecting a million dollar QB every down . Good luck to him but I think it’s a bad move . 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1
On 1/1/2018 at 5:41 PM, Cdog923 said:

If rumors on the radio are to be believed, more than one coach tried getting after Gates for his lack of WE, but were called off by HCMR. 

The difference between Tom Osborne Nice and Mike Riley Nice. Osborne was a Nice Guy, but he could still be a total hardass as a coach, and would never accept a lack of effort from his scout team players, let alone his starters. Mike Riley... not so much. He never took control of his team, and as much as some wanted to blame Bo for that, let's be real: he never would have. And this will probably rustle some Jimmies, but there's another coach that I really think would have had the same problem: Turner Gill. Yes, KU is a less than ideal place to coach football, but as much as anything his problem there was that he never took control of his players.

Some guys have the personality for it, some don't.

• Plus1 1

Simply don’t understand this move. He’s not a top 4 round talent. After watching and knowing what frost did at UCF and observing the excitement UCF plays with it is astonishing to me that any current player wouldn’t buy into Frost’s culture or want a year in it... 

Edited by bugeater17

6 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Simply don’t understand this move. He’s not a top 4 round talent. After watching and knowing what frost did at UCF and observing the excitement UCF plays with it is astonishing to me that any current player wouldn’t buy into Frost’s culture or want a year in it... 

Dan Hoppen brought up a good point on Twitter today that he's not super high on Gates' NFL potential but he would've said the same thing about Alex Lewis, Brent Qvale and Zach Sterup. All three of the latter have now started NFL games.

Gates could be a mid-to-late rounder and that'll get him an opportunity. It's a little different being an NFL linemen and the right coach/situation could prove beneficial.

• Plus1 1

Sometimes guys could risk millions by staying in college, (injury) I think Gates could make millions by staying in college. (not ready)  The only thought is system.  The Riley system is more of a NFL system.  New one may not be.  I guess for an OL guy learning a new system could be tough?  Don't really know.

Either way good luck.

Edited by Crusader Husker
6 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I think Benning pretty much said today that Gates didn’t like the idea of playing for free and if he was going to have to bust his tail, he might as well get paid doing it. 

It would be smarter for him to stay to increase his speed, strength, stamina etc as a financial investment.  This would also help job security.

But if what Benning said is true, I’d rather not have someone with that kind of mentality here.

Nick, never mind my first paragraph; you’re ready for the pros.  Get dem Benjamins, bruh.

• Plus1 3

Something else to consider is that Gates already has a huge amount of D1 playing--even without his final year of eligibility.  35 starts, plus a red-shirt year on the scout team.  That's way more than most O-linemen get in their whole college careers.  A body can only take so many collisions before it starts falling apart.   Might be time for him to bank some coin in the NFL. 

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Nick Gates