Nick Gates

Red Five

16 minutes ago, NUance said:

A body can only take so many collisions before it starts falling apart.  

On the other hand, Richie Incognito is still out there after over a decade, and heading to a Pro Bowl.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NUance said:

Something else to consider is that Gates already has a huge amount of D1 playing--even without his final year of eligibility.  35 starts, plus a red-shirt year on the scout team.  That's way more than most O-linemen get in their whole college careers.  A body can only take so many collisions before it starts falling apart.   Might be time for him to bank some coin in the NFL. 

How much does the average scout teamer get paid? 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think this is probably more true than the stupid narratives people are putting out there for him now i.e.

1. He doesn't like to work

2. He's undisciplined

3. He'd lose his starting position

4. He is penalized tons and is worthless

I think people have selective memory.  Everything in this thread is conjecture..and we're throwing players who bled red for us under the bus by not giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

The last two can be labeled as "stupid narratives"

The first two are almost common knowledge at this point. 

• Plus1 4

I dunno. If both Benning and Rob Z are alluding that he lacked effort, technique, work ethic...there are reasons I listen to those guys and mostly because they have insight to the program and know what it takes to play D1 football at a high level. 

And fair or unfair, but for me, I really can’t get over his glossy-eyed, lack of emotion, mumbling before the Northwestern game. He’s not the only player just the one we’re discussing, but he checked out and I don’t care what point of the season you’re at, you treat every game and snap as if it’s your last. Can we say he gave that effort? 

With that said, good luck to him in the NFL because I think it’s a win win and I care more about the program. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

I don't think so.

I think its 'common narrative' put out by people who have never played offensive line, never coached offensive line, and have never coached football a day in their lives.

Saying something is true when you don't have the experienced eye to observe it actually is true does not make something true.

Just my 2 cents.  I'm proud of the guy for battling in the trenches for us through 2 regime changes.  I'm not going to under appreciate him or belittle his contributions.

So I have to play or coach offensive line to know Gates' effort and play declined this last year? 

Nothing wrong with not wanting to belittle a student athlete. But what some are saying isn't extreme or preposterous. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I don't think so.

I think its 'common narrative' put out by people who have never played offensive line, never coached offensive line, and have never coached football a day in their lives.

Saying something is true when you don't have the experienced eye to observe it actually is true does not make something true.

Just my 2 cents.  I'm proud of the guy for battling in the trenches for us through 2 regime changes.  I'm not going to under appreciate him or belittle his contributions.

You don't need a trained eye to see the guy did not have much muscle tone and was beat on the edge multiple times against better competition.  Just go back and watch the Tennessee game last year.  Ray Charles could see the talent difference.

• Plus1 4

4 hours ago, Toe said:

On the other hand, Richie Incognito is still out there after over a decade, and heading to a Pro Bowl.

It's interesting you bring up Incognito and I just happened to listen to Dirk's podcast he did with him a couple days ago.  For all of Richie's faults off the field and being a bit of a punk at times, he's got stupid good feet and is heckuva athlete for being 330.  Gates reminds me a lot of Alex Lewis.  He has the nasty temperament I think you need in the NFL.  It's all going to come down to how he tests.  If he does well, I can see him catching on as a G.  Folks have pointed out that he got worked by Barnett, well yeah...Barnett was the 14th pick in the draft.  Barnett should destroy guys like Gates.

17 hours ago, Moiraine said:

17 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I do too but I think he’s one that could potentially really raise his draft stock by staying another year.  Think he could get a ton of yards under this staff, plus if he could eliminate the drops (which I think he can), I think he could really prove he’s an even more special player than we’ve seen.  

I think Stanley's case is pretty cut and dried.  If he can run a consistent sub 4.6 forty, he should go pro, if he can't he should stay.  I think it's a little unfair but WR is still one of the spots in the NFL that places a high priority on the 40 yd time.  Selfishly, I'd like him to stay of course because I think Walters can help him quite a bit with the drops.

Edited by Xmas32
3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

It's interesting you bring up Incognito and I just happened to listen to Dirk's podcast he did with him a couple days ago.  For all of Richie's faults off the field and being a bit of a punk at times, he's got stupid good feet and is heckuva athlete for being 330.  Gates reminds me a lot of Alex Lewis.  He has the nasty temperament I think you need in the NFL.  It's all going to come down to how he tests.  If he does well, I can see him catching on as a G.  Folks have pointed out that he got worked by Barnett, well yeah...Barnett was the 14th pick in the draft.  Barnett should destroy guys like Gates.

But now there is another "Barnett" each and every time you line up!

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Nick Gates