Nick Gates

Red Five

Really..is this true or a funny..? He may “declare”, however no NFL team will acknowledge..IMO..

im glad the spot is open actually..I wouldn’t shed a tear if any of them ever stepped on the field again..I have so many plays recorded on DVR and saw ALL of them taking plays off and half a..#@ effort ..ect..at multiple times in multiple games..horrible chemistry, work ethic, attitude ect..they all were on par to be better suited to play for Purdue or division 2...not a one I saw glimpses of a big 10 dozer..

Edited by 1994 Husker

16 minutes ago, 1994 Husker said:

Really..is this true or a funny..? He may “declare”, however no NFL team will acknowledge..IMO..

im glad the spot is open actually..I wouldn’t shed a tear if any of them ever stepped on the field again..I have so many plays recorded on DVR and saw ALL of them taking plays off and half a..#@ effort ..ect..at multiple times in multiple games..horrible chemistry, work ethic, attitude ect..they all were on par to be better suited to play for Purdue or division 2...not a one I saw glimpses of a big 10 dozer..

Ya, clearly the players were the only problem we had and we should kick them all off the team and start fresh.

Gates leaving is good for the program. This is the type of player that can be a cancer to the team. It can also destroy the morale of players behind him who busted their butts in the weight room and at practice to move up the depth chart, only to see this guy slack off and get smoked during the games. This is not hate, it is reality.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Geeboo07 said:

Gates leaving is good for the program. This is the type of player that can be a cancer to the team. It can also destroy the morale of players behind him who busted their butts in the weight room and at practice to move up the depth chart, only to see this guy slack off and get smoked during the games. This is not hate, it is reality.

I think this is universal on any team that wants to win.  Kids aren't stupid.  They can see the day in and day out fans don't see.  If it's common knowledge that player "X" sucks, but still plays, that hurts any team across the board.  It hurts them trusting the staff, the process and develops the wrong culture.  IMHO, that was what was seen across the OL.  Cav wouldn't replace a one legged starter with a "better" back up until this season.  I think this was because of the repeated comments in pressers by Riley and Langs.  Fav knew it was now or never.  Had Riley stayed, I still think Cav would've been gone. 

Gates performance (lack there of), rumored work ethic etc was simply a microcosm of the Riley error. See Nate Gerry last year (2016).....

11 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I don't think so.

I think its 'common narrative' put out by people who have never played offensive line, never coached offensive line, and have never coached football a day in their lives.

Saying something is true when you don't have the experienced eye to observe it actually is true does not make something true.

Just my 2 cents.  I'm proud of the guy for battling in the trenches for us through 2 regime changes.  I'm not going to under appreciate him or belittle his contributions.

You're allowed to think what you would like, but Rob Zatechka certainly qualifies as having "played offensive line". At a fairly high level, too. 

Edited by Cdog923
  • Plus1 3

17 hours ago, Big Mike said:

But now there is another "Barnett" each and every time you line up!

Not sure if you're trending towards the hypothetical but if not you and I both know that every guy on a NFL roster isn't necessarily a 1st round talent.  Where you and I agree that I inferred from your post is Gates is going to have to work like never before to even have a shot at a cup of coffee on the next level. 

I'm friends with a guy who used to be a lineman for the Vikings.   About 10 years later, he has a better physique than Gates by far, and this guy was a marginal NFL player.   Gates has a tough road ahead of him if he thinks that being an NFL lineman is anything close to being a college lineman.  

7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Tell you what...let's both go watch a squash match and give commentary afterwards.  We'll attend with someone who coaches squash for a living.

Which one of us 3 will probably have better insight as to whether or not a squash player is good or not?

I'm not saying everyone has to coach...I am saying coaches know better than board posters.  I'm also saying board posters are more often wrong than right when it comes to this topic due to most of us having an untrained eye.

If I have never mowed a lawn before, and paid someone to mow my lawn, would I not know what a good vs bad mowed lawn looks like? I don't have to be an expert in a certain trade/field to differentiate quality. 

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Failed the eye test.  Bet Gates could beat him in bench, squat, clean and proagility tests though.  Am I saying Gates is amazing?  Nope.  I'm saying board posters have narratives and beat them like dead horses and they more than often aren't true.

I'm not saying that in order to be strong, you have to look strong.   I'm saying that his performance in general is consistent with that of a player who ISN'T strong.  He has poor footwork, unimpressive backward mobility,  seemingly a lack of understanding of the blocking schemes he had to work with this year, and allegedly a poor work ethic.  If he has any hopes of being an NFL lineman it's going to be at the guard position,  but even at that rate he brings nothing to the table that an experienced guard would have.   If I were a betting man, I'd say his days of playing football at a major level are over.  

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Nick Gates