Big ten verse Everyone else...?

37 minutes ago, irafreak said:

Nah...the new system gives teams more chances to slip up. I hate the thought of a team that couldn't even win it's own division let alone the conference,  being called the best. You have to take the body of work into account and not just "team x looks the best on paper." Why have a committee voting...it's popular vote now. Might as well let the fans decide, I see little difference.  

OU and Georgia play 10 games, they probably split em. Point is Bama didn't do what the committee said was important. So we now know the committee simply plays favorites. Might as well be honest with us...the committee looks at tv rating potential, their preconceived bias...same bias we built the committee to get away from (preseason polls anyone)...and past history. What Bama did last year or the last 10 should have no weight on this year's choice yet it did. The new system changed nothing. We had Bama getting repeat chances before the playoff and here we are again.

Only way to take the bias out is do like the nfl and create rules. Undefeated teams in first, power conference one loss next or conference champs or whatever but pick a system and take out the human element. If not, then call it like it is. A popularity and money contest. 

Absolutely! No committee. Have set rules, and follow them.

51 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The winner of a P5 conference that goes 7-1 in bowl games gets snubbed from the playoffs while the sec conference runner up, that beat ababama, gets whipped by a non-P5 team. And the sec gets 50% of the teams in the playoffs. That is a load of crap!

I totally agree with you. (Did you think I didn't?). It IS. A load of crap. That was my point.  I will never root for an SEC team especially if they play against a B1G team. 

I will root for the teams in the B1G against teams outside of our conference.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

No worries at all, I'm just being bitter because we had a 4-8 season and misery loves company.

Me too. I'm also bitter that UCF didn't get a chance to play in the NC. It's just not fair.  

Pas for our season-it's beyond embarrassing that we couldn't even scrape up 6 wins this year!  I'm SO looking forward to this fall!

1 hour ago, irafreak said:

Only way to take the bias out is do like the nfl and create rules. Undefeated teams in first, power conference one loss next or conference champs or whatever but pick a system and take out the human element. If not, then call it like it is. A popularity and money contest. 

How you do this with 130 teams. The SEC won't even travel outside their little hidey hole for a non-conference game, imagine getting them to agree to the kinds of large scale changes necessary to make a system like this work.

2 hours ago, irafreak said:

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Absolutely! No committee. Have set rules, and follow them.

The problem with both of these sentiments is they ignore the systemic parity in college sports versus the professional ranks. Conferences hold a ton of power in the college ranks and no two follow the same rules or regulations. Comparing the NFL (or any professional sports system) the the college game is likely comparing apples to oranges.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

How you do this with 130 teams. The SEC won't even travel outside their little hidey hole for a non-conference game, imagine getting them to agree to the kinds of large scale changes necessary to make a system like this work.

Indeed, the announcers said during the Georgia - OU game that Georgia had to travel 1200 miles to get to the Rose Bowl stadium which was farther than they traveled for all their 'away' games for the entire season combined!    That's just nonsense that they played near or at home all season and were chosen as one of the 4 best teams to play for it all and had not traveled to compete with teams from around the country at all.   The SEC is notorious for this practice.  I guess NU should schedule the Dakotas and Wyomings Colorado States and Air Force Academy and so on and state within one state of Lincoln or so all the time.  

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Simple. Each Power 5 conference champion is in. The other conferences have a playoff to determine the remaining 3 teams. This is only one proposal. I can think of hundreds of ways to set up a system of rules with no committee required. Another option is  every Power 5 conference champion is in, and the 3 remaining teams are selected based on the number of Power 5 victory points, where points are awarded for victories over a Power 5 teams. If you beat a Power 5 team with 10 wins, you get 11 points. If you beat a winless Power 5 team, you get one point. Then add tie breakers, perhaps the total number of point surrendered during the season.

Edited by MichiganDad3

I think a lot of people would be well served to forget about this notion of a "best" team. There is no system or playoff structure that will insure that the absolute best team will end up on the top of the heap. March madness, the NFL playoffs...none of them guarantee that the unquestionable best team by all metrics will make it to the end of the playoffs. Once you reach this realization then we can begin to dispense with this idea of teams (like Bama) needing a 2nd chance or lower level G5 teams like UCF getting screwed in the current structure.

Sure the way it is right now is not perfect but I don't believe perfect is attainable when dealing with college football, as long as we want to continue to believe these are first and foremost STUDENT athletes. Can it be better? Sure it can and maybe it does need to be expanded to 6 or 8 teams. I think up to 8 teams would still be manageable with the time constraints of school, football playoffs and a normal regular season. But any more than that would not be possible without demanding more games, longer seasons and less being an actual student. However what needs to be fixed pronto is the system that allowed a team like Bama, who couldn't even win their own conference into a four team playoff. I don't think any of us wants to see regular season, conference games or conference championships rendered meaningless. Yet that is exactly what the committee did this year. And that is exactly why people need to move beyond the idea that Alabama was deserving of a 2nd chance because they were apparently so good. Teams in the March madness tourney don't get a 2nd chance. If they slip up they're done. Well we have a pretty good playoff system right now, it starts in late August or early September and runs through the end of November or early December. It's called the football season. And at some point be it at 4 teams or 8 teams there has to be some level of discernment for strength of schedule. This will never favor a team like UCF but I don't believe it has to. Maybe they get in if it's 8 teams and I have no problem with that but it pains me to honestly admit they were not deserving of making a 4 team playoff. Sorry they just weren't. I don't have the solution to that one except maybe to offer that maybe there needs to be another level or tier to which a team like that could aspire.

The other problem I have with tweaking it too much more is that CFB does not and likely cannot be treated the same as most other sports playoffs. More than 8 teams isn't practical IMO. And the NFL is no pillar when 8-8 and 9-7 teams can make the playoffs. The thing to consider is that not even the largest bracket playoff insures that the best team survives. What if Alabama lost to Auburn in the playoffs rather than the regular season? Why should a playoff loss be considered any more than one weeks earlier? Some teams will play above or below their perceived ability on any given day. That's why they play the games. None of them guarantee an unquestionable champion and, for me anyway, one of the fun and unique things about CFB is that there always has been some room for debate even when all the dust has settled. Like I said earlier, it can and should be tweaked and made better but lets dispense with the notion that it can be perfect and absolute.

• Plus1 1

I don't understand the argument against too many games if there are 8 teams in a playoff. Baseball and basketball play over 30 games, and often do not return to campus between games. And there are very few student athletes. I know three Power 5 baseball players who quit after one season because of the difficulty of keeping up grades, attending labs, etc. My son knows two Power 5 basketball players who never bring anything other than themselves to class, but their majors are of no value.

..it is entertaining how the discussion can twist and turn..but hey that’s what these forums are about..

the premise of my OP, was as I survey the college football team, IMO, Ohio State had the best chance to prevent Alabama from holding up another trophy..my main gauge of a team is the Lines, both sides..Ohio State has meaner, more toughness, and experience in flattening opposing linemen than Georgia does..usually the team with dominant lineman..win the game..and I’ll root for Big 10 team over Alabama every time..i was being as objective as possible though in my Ohio state opinion..

..I just saw the stat of the Big 10 is 7-1 in bowl games..I haven’t verified that, however if it’s true, that’s a accurate depiction of how good amd mean the big 10 is verse everyone else..when will the pack 12 learn a thing or two from the big 10..? I suppose never..lineman, NFL caliber win championships, amd the big 10 probably sends more linemen to NFL than any other conference. 

10 hours ago, 1994 Husker said:

..I just saw the stat of the Big 10 is 7-1 in bowl games..I haven’t verified that, however if it’s true, that’s a accurate depiction of how good amd mean the big 10 is verse everyone else..when will the pack 12 learn a thing or two from the big 10..? I suppose never..lineman, NFL caliber win championships, amd the big 10 probably sends more linemen to NFL than any other conference. 

It's tough to draw any significant conclusions from bowl games year to year, IMO. After all, the B1G went 3-7 in bowl games just a year ago. Things are rarely as good (or bad) as they look coming out of bowl season.

That said, the situation with the Pac 12 is super interesting. I found this article yesterday from Dirk's Mad Chatter that went into pretty good detail of how dire the situation is getting out west.

Ask yourself: Is any other conference encountering issues like those mentioned above?

Big Ten games aren’t getting bumped by a truck race. ACC coaches aren’t getting ripped by Kirk Herbstreit. Fowler isn’t taking shots at the SEC Network.

That bleak situation got worse in the postseason, courtesy of the worst across-the-board showing by a single conference in the sport’s history.

And let’s not forget: The Pac-12 has missed the playoff two of the past three years and hasn’t won a playoff game since Oregon in 2014.

(Oh, and this: Of the dozens of bowl games played thus far, only one has been defined by bad officiating: the Music City. And guess which conference provided the officiating. The Pac-12 crew embarrassed itself and the conference.)

Panic time? Crisis situation?

At the very least, Pac-12 football — the entirety of the brand, not just an individual team or two — is trending in the wrong direction.

• Plus1 2

The SEC is a very top heavy conference right now as compared to years past. Currently only Bama, UGA, and Auburn are worth a darn. In years past, you had LSU, Tenn, Florida as well. This may change with the recent coaching hires and they can go back to beating the heck out of each other. But the top 2 teams are extremely good. Oklahoma lost to UGA and OU beat the s#!t out of OSU so the argument that OSU would beat OU or UGA doesnt hold water.  I personally thought Clemson would handle Bama. 

As for the distance travelled statement, its kind of a red herring. UGA plays Auburn, USC, GaTech, Tenn, and UF every year. These teams are all within 4hrs of the campus and in most cAses closer to 2.5 or 3. The South is much more condensed that the Mid-West or West. It’s just how it is. So, yes, UGA doesnt have to travel far but its an apple to oranges argument when comparing to Oregon, OSU, or Southern Cal. 

As for the lines, both UGA and Bama are loaded with NFL talent on both sides of their lines. Each team will put more kids into the NFL this year than OSU and this trend will continue. Not sure if you saw UGA’s signing class but its freaking sick. I live in the heart of SEC country and got to see UGA up close and personal this year. They beat OSU 8 out of 10 times with the team they have. I agree that they split with OU over 10 games. 

• Plus1 1
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, 1994 Husker said:

1sr thing, I’m still confounded how to change my handle..I’m NOT depressed anymore..

anyway, I foresee Alabama holding up that dang trophy....again..argh....!

i know this not pure Husker post, however I just felt compelled to discuss and share my observations as the CFB comes to a end..

My first observation, and of course this can’t be proven, it’s subjective, I know that..however IMO The Big 10 is the best and most physical conference in the Land..

Im persuaded, fully, that Ohio state is the only team that could/would whip Alabama...they got snubbed, amd its upsetting, as Georgia is not even close to knocking out the heavyweight in Alabama...? Why..? One word, Lineman.. Typical with Mr Meyer and his approach to football, he devotes the most attention in the recruiting and development of lineman..I said it since the third week of the season..that I don’t care how many times a anomaly happened and Ohio state may lose X amount of games...they would be still THE only team who could and make Alabama work for that trophy...

It’s so frustrating not having the best opponent to face Alabama this year...

I have a problem with the bolded.  Ohio State didn't get any more snubbed this year than Penn State did last year.  Unless you were up in arms last year when Penn State didn't get in when Ohio State did, then how can you argue Ohio State got snubbed this year?  The playoff committee thus far has held pretty close to just one rule:  no team gets into the playoff if they've lost more than one game.  The playoff committee has made it abundantly clear that conference championships mean next to nothing to them.  The only B1G team that fits the playoff committee's criteria is Wisconsin.  It really came down to the fourth spot being occupied by either Alabama or Wisconsin.   

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Enhance said:

The problem with both of these sentiments is they ignore the systemic parity in college sports versus the professional ranks. Conferences hold a ton of power in the college ranks and no two follow the same rules or regulations. Comparing the NFL (or any professional sports system) the the college game is likely comparing apples to oranges.

Not if you set ground rules across the board. The conferences adapt to the rules then. It's not difficult to say only one team gets in per conference. Each conference already sets up rules for their title game matchups.  Does this mean that sometimes you don't get the four best teams...yep...but there is NO way to prevent that. This method at least allows smaller conferences an opportunity and holds a standard. There is no standard right now. 

And the argument about scheduling doesn't hold water. Remember how big the Oregon games looked when they were scheduled? You can't accurately predict strength of schedule with so many teams...yet we keep trying to apply it. Throw it out. By allowing smaller schools to get in, yes you open the door for super teams like Boise that feed on the weak but eventually the talent would spread out more as athletes begin to realize you don't have to be in the sec to get the best shot at winning a title. 

The system is beyond broken. Why do we keep defending it?