High speed stretching

2 hours ago, DaveH said:

You see. This is what's sad about conversing in message boards sometimes.

I literally said:

I also gave you an article where dudes were put in the hospital by shady "strength coaches". 

Epley is one of the rarities in that he knows how to get this stuff done. Duval probably does too if he's from the same vein.

That doesn't mean the rest of D1 "strength coaches" may be riding on the coat tails of elite athletes, which is my original point.

Sounds good to me. Except I'm not sure where one finds bears for punching

You also said:

3 hours ago, DaveH said:

I don't know, man. D1 sports strength coaches can be, in general, pretty dumb sometimes.  I'm not saying Frosts guy is dumb, but I think you could argue that the state of D1 strength coaching is kinda crappy.

Which is just flat out wrong.

Yes, just like any profession, there are some who shouldn't be doing it and can cause problems.  But, the vast majority of Division 1 strength programs are better than they ever have been.  Many NFL players go back to their Div 1 S&C programs to train because they are so good.

The development of S&C along with nutrition across the board in college sports is amazing compared to what it was in the 70s and 80s.....thanks to Nebraska and Epley.

Goodness gracious.  I have been in the S&C profession (meaning degreed and actually work in the field) for quite a while and most collegiate athletic staffs employ absolutely top notch S&C professionals. I didn't agree with some of the things that Dave Kennedy did about ten years ago, but most schools far below UNL have strength coaches with knowledge so far beyond the casual lifter or "personal trainer" it is ridiculous . I have a ton of confidence that Duvall or Epley are more than well versed of when to static stretch (sarcasm).  I believe the OP primary point was everything will be up tempo and intense under Frost.  Water breaks, get over there and get back, quickly, now move!  I like it. 

• Plus1 1

Just a nerdy thought to add.

The only way to accurately test new strength and conditioning methods is to have a big sample of people use the new method. This takes a lot of time and sometimes the subjects you have to use would be the athletes. After all, you want the people you're testing methods on to be similar to the people you're going to implement them on.

The point I'm trying to make is it must be really difficult to add new things and it makes sense that  change is really slow. It would take years to do it properly. The S&C coaches themselves likely wouldn't have the time to be involved with it.

If in an alternative universe I worked as a nerd for Nebraska's S&C program I would use the walk ons to test new lifting and program methodologies. They would be perfect and willing and they go through the same body motions as your star players. And then if you found out it's causing an uptick of injuries you wouldn't be out your starting players. You would use it on them only after a lot of testing.

Edited by Moiraine

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Just a nerdy thought to add.

The only way to accurately test new strength and conditioning methods is to have a big sample of people use the new method. This takes a lot of time and sometimes the subjects you have to use would be the athletes. After all, you want the people you're testing methods on to be similar to the people you're going to implement them on.

The point I'm trying to make is it must be really difficult to add new things and it makes sense that  change is really slow. It would take years to do it properly. The S&C coaches themselves likely wouldn't have the time to be involved with it.

If in an alternative universe I worked as a nerd for Nebraska's S&C program I would use the walk ons to test new lifting and program methodologies. They would be perfect and willing and they go through the same body motions as your star players. And then if you found out it's causing an uptick of injuries you wouldn't be out your starting players. You would use it on them only after a lot of testing.

Better yet, find a set of twins. 

9 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

Stretching is for girls and old people, not the lumberjacks that we have at DONU.  Wake up, piss,  punch a bear in the face, lift weights, beat our opponents into a bloody pulp, drink 18 beers, make sweet beautiful love, go to sleep.   No stretching necessary. 

Hell yeah brother, all you need to add is put a big ol dip in and you have me sold.

Edited by FaithfulHusker
18 hours ago, DaveH said:

You see. This is what's sad about conversing in message boards sometimes.

I literally said:

I also gave you an article where dudes were put in the hospital by shady "strength coaches". 

Epley is one of the rarities in that he knows how to get this stuff done. Duval probably does too if he's from the same vein.

That doesn't mean the rest of D1 "strength coaches" may be riding on the coat tails of elite athletes, which is my original point.

Sounds good to me. Except I'm not sure where one finds bears for punching

I remember one day some Black bears from Maine showed up and pretty much punched Callahan in the mouth....

20 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

There is a place and time for static stretching, but it is after practice.  It helps with recovery.

The longer I coach the more I believe static stretching is actually a light strength/ warmup exercise.  Essentially unless you are very calm and doing multiple repetitive stretches of the same muscles lasting at least 2 min each, you are not really working on flexibility.  You are however forcing that muscle's involuntary joint protection reflex, and working it out, warming it up a little.  There is value to that, in getting the muscle ready.  But it is good to do some "warmup" first.  

The human body is more complicated than many understand.  For example if you have an injured hamstring your body will compensate automatically limiting range of motion on that leg, but also adding strain to the other leg as well.  This can be almost unnoticed by the athlete, until the other leg becomes injured as well.

• Plus1 1

There was an article on UCF after the bowl and some of the players talked about how brutal 12 straight games was and a short week thrown in here and there.  They talked about how much the staff worked to keep the healthy and injury free.  I'm pretty confident this staff is one of the most solid top to bottom...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedNebraskan said:

Those players are going to fear screwing up in games now.

I know this reply is a little off of the topic of “high speed stretching”.

That said… I would think that Frost’s staff might not instill an extreme level of “fear of screwing up”, but ensuring that the players have a clear understanding of what the expectations are if they want to be able to stay on the field for the good of the team. I’m sure a lot of it is scheme and coaching differences, but there’s a lot to be said about how Frost’s staff had the UCF team playing fast/aggressively versus the seemingly hesitant play we’ve seen these last years. I only bring this point because I think that some hesitant play can be attributed to the “fear of screwing up”.

Going forward I hope that there is a fear of in getting caught slacking off or neglecting their duties in practice, conditioning, their studies, or during the games.