Stanley Morgan Jr. Staying for Senior Season

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Let's hear it for Monique, everyone.  She gets it.  She knows her son can make bank any time in the NFL, but that education - and seeing it through - is going to help him

ZVzaO7K.gif

Personally I see it the other way around. You only have a limited window to make millions playing football, but a college will take your money any time, of which you'll have plenty after playing in the NFL

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not saying this is the case for Stan but i never get the "get your degree" angle. Can't you go pro and still finish up your degree in your off time? I mean money obviously wouldn't be the issue when you are making millions in the NFL. 

Possibly, but it takes a mindset and dedication to want to do that if you don't have to. Plus, what if he suffers a career-ending injury in the preseason? Some might look at that as a nice safety net instead of leaving the league without it.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Possibly, but it takes a mindset and dedication to want to do that if you don't have to. Plus, what if he suffers a career-ending injury in the preseason? Some might look at that as a nice safety net instead of leaving the league without it.

And what if you sustain a career ending injury your senior year of college and never get a chance at generational wealth? A degree is much easier to attain imo, the money is worth more risk than the degree. There is always going to be a what if scenario, but especially for high pick guys (looking at you, Saquon Barkley) passing up millions just so you can get a degree doesn't make much sense when you can do both. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And what if you sustain a career ending injury your senior year of college and never get a chance at generational wealth? A degree is much easier to attain imo, the money is worth more risk than the degree. There is always going to be a what if scenario, but especially for high pick guys (looking at you, Saquon Barkley) passing up millions just so you can get a degree doesn't make much sense when you can both. 

In that scenario, you would finish your degree and live your life. You take a gamble either way IMO. I don't even know what SMJrs draft stock would've been but it's possible he inquired and that it also played a role in his choice.

Either way, I think the simplest answer to your conundrum is different things matter to different people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

In that scenario, you would finish your degree and live your life. You take a gamble either way IMO. I don't even know what SMJrs draft stock would've been but it's possible he inquired and that it also played a role in his choice. Perhaps he wasn't projecting very well?

Either way, I think the simplest answer to your conundrum is different things matter to different people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you get drafted you are still going to get at minimum a six figure check even if they get a career ending injury after getting drafted. Plenty of money to attend one year of college. I get different things are important to different people, and that is fine, but coming back is definitely the bigger gamble. You can always go back to college and you will only have a few credits to complete. The NFL window is very limited.

To be clear this is a general discussion of the topic, not speaking on Stan specifically. I would guess he didn't project well, I think another season will do him well. Very happy to have him back as a fan, he is one of my favorite players.

Edited by Nebfanatic
49 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Let's hear it for Monique, everyone.  She gets it.  She knows her son can make bank any time in the NFL, but that education - and seeing it through - is going to help him

ZVzaO7K.gif

Agreed, though I do hope that insurance is taken out as a CYA measure and that DoNU is able to help defray those costs in some regard. 

But I'm glad to see this young man and his family have their priorities right. Much respect. 

21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And what if you sustain a career ending injury your senior year of college and never get a chance at generational wealth? A degree is much easier to attain imo, the money is worth more risk than the degree. There is always going to be a what if scenario, but especially for high pick guys (looking at you, Saquon Barkley) passing up millions just so you can get a degree doesn't make much sense when you can do both. 

IIRC, there are insurance policies that can be taken out for situations like this. Other NCAA football players that stayed have taken policies out like this in the past...though I do believe they are somewhat expensive. 

And no, the policy won't make up for a lost NFL contract. But it will allow the player to recoup *something* for trying to do the right thing, plus he'll have his degree to boot.

Edited by VectorVictor