Each Quarterback's Signature Win from Callahan to Riley

knapplc

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wind speed for the Gator Bowl on 1/1/09 was between 9 & 15mph, with gusts over 30mph.  Good memory.

Like an elephant.

1bXFJUD.gif

Trying the new Google keyboard because Samsung doesn't have their shot together and I can't txt gifs with the stock messenger or keyboard. Autocorrect is hit and miss...

It really is hard to pick with Martinez. The 2010 Kansas State game was just super fun especially since it was our last and KSU was so pumped up at the beginning of the game..

One moment I love in the MSU comeback was after Martinez threw the pick 6 (which was called back) and thought the game was over, he's shown on the sidelines and mouths "F*** me." 2:06:50

Joe Dailey

1. 56-17 W over Western Illinois. It was a nobody, but it was the highly anticipated debut of Callahan's offense and Dailey was never more loved or hyped or considered more 'capable' than after that performance

2. 59-27 W over Baylor

3. 24-3 W over Missouri

Zac Taylor

1. 28-27 W over Texas A&M. One of three wins that Taylor had over top 25 teams (at the time) in his career, but the only one under lights in a big moment. We clunch the division in that game, and although he didn't play great overall his 2 minute drive to win it was beautiful

2. 32-28 W over Michigan. His only postseason win

3. 30-3 W over Colorado. This was a huge win for our program at the time, and the birth of "Restore the Order". Colorado's entire student section got ejected

Sam Keller

1. 41-40 W over Ball State. We lose this game against Brady Hoke's team if not for Keller

Joe Ganz

1. 26-21 W over Clemson. Postseason play or games that have actual stakes will almost always trump anything else. Joe didn't play great, but had two really good touchdown passes and catapulted us into an exciting offseason.

2. 73-31 W over Kansas State. It's kind of fake impressive like Chamberlain's 100 point game because of Callahan trying to save his job, but you can't argue with the results. Joe scrambling for a first down on 4th and 20 (!!!) was unbelievably hilarious and awesome.

3. 45-35 W over Kansas. 75% completions, 3 TD's, 300+ yards, and started a streak of 4 straight wins to end Bo's first season.

Zac Lee

1. 27-12 W over Missouri. The monsoon game. He exploded in the 4th, and his maniacal laughing and pretty boy smiling were the icing on the cake of that dominance over Missouri.

2. 10-3 W over Oklahoma. He technically didn't start this game, but he scored the only touchdown and managed it when Cody Green was obviously in over his head. Defense did all the hard lifting, but Zac didn't make mistakes.

3. 55-0 W over Louisina Lafayette. The 300th consecutive sellout in the '62 throwback jerseys, went 15/18 for 238 yards

Cody Green - pass

Taylor Martinez

1. 28-24 W over Michigan State. Over 200 yards rushing, and a gutsy as all get out comeback against a somewhat dirty and very underrated MSU team.

2. 48-13 W over Kansas State. I thought about giving this one to the Washington game of 2010, or the Ohio State, Wisconsin or Northwestern games of 2012, but this was a Thursday night primetime national coming out party for our really good team and our freshman quarterback.

3. 51-41 W over Oklahoma State. Taylor's most complete and efficiently deadly game as a Husker. This game showcased that he did actually have great potential as a thrower, but his body was wrecked the next week and we never got to see what could have been an entirely different career for him. 

I'm too lazy to do any more

• Plus1 2
On 1/4/2018 at 0:42 PM, BIG ERN said:

The game that sticks in my mind for Taylor Martinez is @ Kansas State his freshman year. We were #7 in the nation and were coming off a lousy effort against SDSU. Many analysts had us losing to K St and Martinez burned Manhattan down. Wildcats were 4-0 at the time with a win over UCLA. It was a Thursday night game with a lot of anticipation and he exploded for 241 rushing yards and 4 TD, only 15 carries. He only threw the ball 7 times and we won 48-13. 

I was thinking of that also. I have a KSU fan in my office and he predicted a big KSU win.  He was shell shocked when i saw him on Monday.   He couldn't believe all of the yards.  But to me

I think TM's biggest game was the shootout against Okla State in Stillwater in 2010 won by NU 51-41.  I was there and it was amazing. OSU was expecting TM to be all run but in that game he surprised everyone with his passing.  OSU was very talented (WR Blackman, Brandon Weeden QB being just two of the NFL guys) and I believe only lost to NU that year maybe OU.  That game was also highlighted by the kickoff knockout by one of our players' hit on a OSU player (can't remember our player - DE Williams?? - just leveled the OSU player and was later suspended by the league for a game).   So this was TM's coming out party as a dual threat QB - we knew he had legs, now he showed it wt his arm.  Unfortunately, I don't believe he ever repeated this dual feat again to this degree.  Passing was always an 'adventure' for TM and those of us watching him pass.

http://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/2010-10-23-oklahoma-state

26 minutes ago, RunMickeyRun02 said:

Pre-Callahan so ineligible

Edit: I mean, if someone wants to expand the post beyond it's initial scope nbd. Just explaining why. 

I realize that the OP set one for his post ITT but figured we could still communicate about whatever.  Jammal had three wins against major conference teams that finished their seasons with winning records (but I notice people writing that he was under-rated all the time here so the good work Knapp did made me think of him is all).

Edited by beorach
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I was thinking of that also. I have a KSU fan in my office and he predicted a big KSU win.  He was shell shocked when i saw him on Monday.   He couldn't believe all of the yards.  But to me

I think TM's biggest game was the shootout against Okla State in Stillwater in 2010 won by NU 51-41.  I was there and it was amazing. OSU was expecting TM to be all run but in that game he surprised everyone with his passing.  OSU was very talented (WR Blackman, Brandon Weeden QB being just two of the NFL guys) and I believe only lost to NU that year maybe OU.  That game was also highlighted by the kickoff knockout by one of our players' hit on a OSU player (can't remember our player - DE Williams?? - just leveled the OSU player and was later suspended by the league for a game).   So this was TM's coming out party as a dual threat QB - we knew he had legs, now he showed it wt his arm.  Unfortunately, I don't believe he ever repeated this dual feat again to this degree.  Passing was always an 'adventure' for TM and those of us watching him pass.

http://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/2010-10-23-oklahoma-state

Yeah, that one.  This was the game that really got me excited about the Martinez era.  Amazing performance, and we needed it because we weren't stopping OSU at all on defense.  it was on the road, and it was against a team that would have only one other loss all year, a nail biter in the Bedlam game against the Sooners.

Win against a team that would finish in the top 10 in the coaches poll on the road with a freshman QB.  Sometimes it's easy to forget how promising that season was, even after that letdown against UT.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:09 AM, Landlord said:

Joe Dailey

1. 56-17 W over Western Illinois. It was a nobody, but it was the highly anticipated debut of Callahan's offense and Dailey was never more loved or hyped or considered more 'capable' than after that performance

2. 59-27 W over Baylor

3. 24-3 W over Missouri

Zac Taylor

1. 28-27 W over Texas A&M. One of three wins that Taylor had over top 25 teams (at the time) in his career, but the only one under lights in a big moment. We clunch the division in that game, and although he didn't play great overall his 2 minute drive to win it was beautiful

2. 32-28 W over Michigan. His only postseason win

3. 30-3 W over Colorado. This was a huge win for our program at the time, and the birth of "Restore the Order". Colorado's entire student section got ejected

Sam Keller

1. 41-40 W over Ball State. We lose this game against Brady Hoke's team if not for Keller

Joe Ganz

1. 26-21 W over Clemson. Postseason play or games that have actual stakes will almost always trump anything else. Joe didn't play great, but had two really good touchdown passes and catapulted us into an exciting offseason.

2. 73-31 W over Kansas State. It's kind of fake impressive like Chamberlain's 100 point game because of Callahan trying to save his job, but you can't argue with the results. Joe scrambling for a first down on 4th and 20 (!!!) was unbelievably hilarious and awesome.

3. 45-35 W over Kansas. 75% completions, 3 TD's, 300+ yards, and started a streak of 4 straight wins to end Bo's first season.

Zac Lee

1. 27-12 W over Missouri. The monsoon game. He exploded in the 4th, and his maniacal laughing and pretty boy smiling were the icing on the cake of that dominance over Missouri.

2. 10-3 W over Oklahoma. He technically didn't start this game, but he scored the only touchdown and managed it when Cody Green was obviously in over his head. Defense did all the hard lifting, but Zac didn't make mistakes.

3. 55-0 W over Louisina Lafayette. The 300th consecutive sellout in the '62 throwback jerseys, went 15/18 for 238 yards

Cody Green - pass

Taylor Martinez

1. 28-24 W over Michigan State. Over 200 yards rushing, and a gutsy as all get out comeback against a somewhat dirty and very underrated MSU team.

2. 48-13 W over Kansas State. I thought about giving this one to the Washington game of 2010, or the Ohio State, Wisconsin or Northwestern games of 2012, but this was a Thursday night primetime national coming out party for our really good team and our freshman quarterback.

3. 51-41 W over Oklahoma State. Taylor's most complete and efficiently deadly game as a Husker. This game showcased that he did actually have great potential as a thrower, but his body was wrecked the next week and we never got to see what could have been an entirely different career for him. 

I'm too lazy to do any more

Joe ganz over KSU.   The most bizarre game in our history and what's even more bizarre is the narrative that Callahan did something different there.   He didn't all of a sudden change his attitude, his play calling, his desire, or his game prep.   I never liked him but it isnt like he hid something in his back pocket and then all of a sudden decided to field a great offense.   That was all Ganz with a little bit of Shawn Watson going against his employer as an FU statement     That was a "WE don't suck, YOU suck!  and we want to keep our jobs" moment.  Wags did the same thing that game and I LOVED it. 

I know the topic is signature wins, that being said, my favorite Tommy Armstrong game is the Holiday Bowl game v. USC.  Coincidentally, I also thought it was Beck's best game as a OC.  That USC team had some serious star power...Kessler at QB, Buck Allen at RB, Nelson Agholor at WR.  On defense, they had Leonard Williams, Cravens, Adoree Jackson on defense. 

On 1/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought Sam Keller's best game as a Husker was actually a loss against Texas in 2007, and his last game as a QB.  Keller was 23-35 for 298 yards and 2 TD's and had NU leading against heavily favored Texas.  Of course, Jamaal Charles broke loose in the 4th quarter and Keller broke his collarbone getting sacked, and his career was over.

This.   Everything was clicking and on point that day for Sam.  Looked like the gun slinger from ASU that we hoped we’d get every game.

The Coz blitz every play worked great for 3 quarters, and then Texas decided to stop running right at it up the gut and let Charles loose on the edges.

Joe Dailey has arguably had more signature wins as an assistant coach under Turner Gill than he ever had as a QB at Nebraska IMO.

Zac Taylor is winning at life.  Married Mitch Sherman's hot daughter, NFL assistant coach, $$$, etc.

Sam Keller won that one lawsuit...

Joe Ganz has a winning personality..

Edited by Kiyoat Husker