Donte Williams goes to Oregon; Cav to Syracuse

knapplc

7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As previously stated, I think Donte Williams was not really given a chance to coach how he wanted, so I'm not ready to sign the "He Sucks" petition.  See what, or how, he does at Oregon before making any definitive judgment.

He was regarded as a damn good coach before he got to NU, he didn't suck because he doesn't know how to coach DBs. The guy hated Diaco and how he wanted his DBs to play. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I heard on S&B this morning that our cornerbacks were responsible for zero interceptions in 2017.

How does that even happen? You'd think a player would just luck into one at some point.

They weren’t straining enough imo

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

He was regarded as a damn good coach before he got to NU, he didn't suck because he doesn't know how to coach DBs. The guy hated Diaco and how he wanted his DBs to play. 

It speaks to the guy's professionalism that this didn't bleed out into the public that much during the season. Wish nothing but the best for Coach Williams, and maybe we'll get to see what he can do one day under a competent DC...preferably back at DoNU.

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He really wasn't here long enough to really prove he was the top notch recruiter he was bragged up to be.  The pathetic DB play this year remains to be proven as either a problem with him or the system.

There's a big chance it was the system.  But, he needs to go somewhere and prove he can coach a unit to be really good.  Because, he wasn't able to do it here.

If the rumors are true...DW's hated how he had to have the corners play.  

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Hell, I didn't like Diaco or our CB play and I only had to deal with it once a week........From the East coast....I feel confident, several of our staff that land else where (primarily defensive staff) will look pretty good in a short time....The strain was simply too much here. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, lo country said:

For the most part, this staff has acted in a professional manner while employed and even when terminated.  Gotta give them credit for that.  

True. Former coach really set the bar low for professionalism.

12 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

__iaco and DWill did not get along because of how they each wanted the DBs to play.  DWill was about aggressive play and __iaco wasn't.

To say Donte wasnt good at recruiting meant you didnt pay much attention.  He had a big part with Bookie, Williams and Goodrich all being N before being let go.  

So Donte was a good recruiter based on players he never even signed? I mean, the guy could be a good recruiter or a good coach, but he never showed it at Nebraska because he wasn't here long enough.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

I heard on S&B this morning that our cornerbacks were responsible for zero interceptions in 2017.

How does that even happen? You'd think a player would just luck into one at some point.

Which means we had an opponent catch more balls with their butt than our CBs did with their hands.

• Plus1 2

I'm humored by the facts of what damn near everyone on this board said of Williams when he came.  Pretty much a great coach and recruiter.  Next, read through the recruit list that he was chasing and the ones that wanted to commit.  Listen to what those recruits said about him.  

Some good posts above the circumstances and folks he was under and the disagreements ... nuff said.

I simple get a chuckle on how he sucks now.  Whatever.  Poor Oregon I guess.  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know.  But....as you said.....those are rumors.  There are lots of "rumors" that fly around that are a varying degree of true.

I heard a rumor in another thread that Bama did not deserve to be in the CFB playoffs!

:D

I totally agree with that rumor!

DW will be just fine at Oregon. Not sure what Diaco will end up doing now? Maybe he will be knocking on doors still, just not recruits doors. :wasted

business-commerce-vacuum_salesman-hoover

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I'm humored by the facts of what damn near everyone on this board said of Williams when he came.  Pretty much a great coach and recruiter.  Next, read through the recruit list that he was chasing and the ones that wanted to commit.  Listen to what those recruits said about him.  

Some good posts above the circumstances and folks he was under and the disagreements ... nuff said.

I simple get a chuckle on how he sucks now.  Whatever.  Poor Oregon I guess.  

We (and other fan bases) tend to do that a lot.

Our most famous recurring example is how every S&C coach is great when they get here and sucks by the time they leave.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Donte Williams goes to Oregon; Cav to Syracuse