National Championship Game

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The conference slate would matter but the regular season would be devalued. You could drop a few not worry about it. OSU would have had a 31 point loss to an unranked team erased. You limit the field to 5 teams, how does that not devalue the regular season? You eliminate all results except for a few. 

You totally lost me.

1)  When was the last time a power 5 team lost all three non-cons and won the CCG?

2)  You claim this devalues the regular season because OSU lost to Iowa???  Alabama wasn't even good enough to win they division because they lost to a team that wasn't even considered for the playoffs.

3)  And....how in the hell does this "limit the field to only 5 teams?  You're pulling things out of your......

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

You totally lost me.

1)  When was the last time a power 5 team lost all three non-cons and won the CCG?

2)  You claim this devalues the regular season because OSU lost to Iowa???  Alabama wasn't even good enough to win they division because they lost to a team that wasn't even considered for the playoffs.

3)  And....how in the hell does this "limit the field to only 5 teams?  You're pulling things out of your......

Dont know about 1 but 

2) you arent making sense 

OSU- 2 losses, worst loss unranked Iowa by 31

Alabama- 1 loss, worst loss #6 Auburn by 12

Yet OSU would get the nod even though they lost more conference games and had a worse loss 

3) the only teams that would have been considered for the playoff would have been OSU, USC and the other 3 teams that made it even though both Wisconsin and Alabama had better cases imo than OSU and USC. But the field to choose from is only 5 teams because you can only choose conference champions. USC and OSU had more losses and worse losses in the regular season than both Wiscy and Bama but Wiscy and Bama would have been disqualified. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Who is "we" if you mean The Committee, then no they never applied that logic, see 13 months ago.

2001 Nebraska if you like...

I figure a worthwhile system should settle two of the oldest arguments, at least:

1) a team that didn't win its own conference shouldn't be able to win the NC; and

2) a team that doesn't belong to a major conference should have a path to compete for the NC.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, commando said:

lol at all the bama apologists.  sorry but bama didn't earn it this year.   tell yourself whatever you need to make it right in your minds.   UCF beat the team that beat the 2 teams playing in the title game.   they deserved to be there more than bama did no matter how much you think bama should be there.  

Lucky for you, UCF didn't have to play the Big Boys to hang a National Title banner. 

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

This all falls on Ohio State.  Don't be Ohio State with superior talent, a supposed superior head coach, a supposed superior coaching staff, go into Iowa City and get your butt kicked by 31 points and run with your tail between your legs back to Columbus.  Ohio State does what it is supposed to in Iowa, none of this happens.  I blame them!

Or they could play a FCS team instead of Oklahoma, still lose in Iowa in the exact same manner, and make it in the CFB playoffs. Everyone would make an excuse as they weren't ready to play for that game after the big Penn State game the week before, injuries happened to their LBs during the game, and how Bosa was ejected when the game was 17-17. They would compare it to the Clemson loss to Syracuse. So yes, it does fall on OSU, for scheduling and losing to Oklahoma. That was a bigger gamble than your typical conference game. 

19 minutes ago, commando said:

buddy?  buddy?   what gives you the right to call me buddy...buddy!   if you want to get worked up about people not liking bama there go ahead and get upset...just don't call me buddy.   lol

My beer thirty doesn't usually start until 5 on Fridays. 

22 minutes ago, commando said:

buddy?  buddy?   what gives you the right to call me buddy...buddy!   if you want to get worked up about people not liking bama there go ahead and get upset...just don't call me buddy.   lol

Not worked up because people don't like bama. I dont care about bama but i think its funny you let your dislike for bama affect your reasoning. Replace bamas name with any other team and i would argue the same thing. But continue to be mad about it there buddy, its ok. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
4 minutes ago, jaws said:

Or they could play a FCS team instead of Oklahoma, still lose in Iowa in the exact same manner, and make it in the CFB playoffs. Everyone would make an excuse as they weren't ready to play for that game after the big Penn State game the week before, injuries happened to their LBs during the game, and how Bosa was ejected when the game was 17-17. They would compare it to the Clemson loss to Syracuse. So yes, it does fall on OSU, for scheduling and losing to Oklahoma. That was a bigger gamble than your typical conference game. 

Bosa or no Bosa, they should not be losing to Iowa.  Nebraska should not be losing to Iowa.  Every team in the play off scheduled a team in non-con who was tough when they scheduled them.  So I blame Ohio State for not beating Oklahoma then.  Alabama scheduled FSU, Georgia had Notre Dame, Oklahoma had OSU and Clemson had Auburn.  All those teams lost conference games they shouldn't of, but took care of business in the non-con.  OSU needed to do one or the other.

Edited by Crusader Husker
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Dont know about 1 but 

2) you arent making sense 

OSU- 2 losses, worst loss unranked Iowa by 31

Alabama- 1 loss, worst loss #6 Auburn by 12

Yet OSU would get the nod even though they lost more conference games and had a worse loss 

3) the only teams that would have been considered for the playoff would have been OSU, USC and the other 3 teams that made it even though both Wisconsin and Alabama had better cases imo than OSU and USC. But the field to choose from is only 5 teams because you can only choose conference champions. USC and OSU had more losses and worse losses in the regular season than both Wiscy and Bama but Wiscy and Bama would have been disqualified. 

Thank God the sports world is more and more not viewing this like you are.  Your arguments on the subject are worn out from the last 15 years.

You claim the idea of expanding the playoffs to 8 teams while using the power 5 CCG champs and 3 wild card teams limits it to just 5 teams.  That makes no sense.  Even IF it were only a 5 team play off with the 5 CCG champs, it wouldn't be limiting it to 5 teams, it would be limiting it to 10 teams.

I'm tired of this argument, so....pardon me if I'm done with it. Have a nice day.  Glad the rest of the sports world doesn't agree with you.

27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The conference slate would matter but the regular season would be devalued. You could drop a few not worry about it. OSU would have had a 31 point loss to an unranked team erased. You limit the field to 5 teams, how does that not devalue the regular season? You eliminate all results except for a few. 

Or it could encourage teams to play a tougher OOC schedule since they wouldn't have to fear a loss to a top team diminishing their chances. But if they win, it gives them a leg up on some of their competition

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Thank God the sports world is more and more not viewing this like you are.  Your arguments on the subject are worn out from the last 15 years.

You claim the idea of expanding the playoffs to 8 teams while using the power 5 CCG champs and 3 wild card teams limits it to just 5 teams.  That makes no sense.  Even IF it were only a 5 team play off with the 5 CCG champs, it wouldn't be limiting it to 5 teams, it would be limiting it to 10 teams.

I'm tired of this argument, so....pardon me if I'm done with it. Have a nice day.  Glad the rest of the sports world doesn't agree with you.

Woah woah woah you have me all wrong, i thought we were talking about the current system. In an 8 team playoff of course we could do a CC auto bid, I have no problem with that. All of my comments pertain to making a CC a qualifier for a 4 team system. I don't agree with that.

Just now, jsneb83 said:

Or it could encourage teams to play a tougher OOC schedule since they wouldn't have to fear a loss to a top team diminishing their chances. But if they win, it gives them a leg up on some of their competition

Exactly.  Right now, Nebraska would be smart to do what Alabama does and schedule the 3 easiest non-con games possible.  Gee....that really makes college football great, doesn't it?

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Woah woah woah you have me all wrong, i thought we were talking about the current system. In an 8 team playoff of course we could do a CC auto bid, I have no problem with that. All of my comments pertain to making a CC a qualifier for a 4 team system. I don't agree with that.

If you look back at my posts, I have been arguing for an 8 team play off all along.

And...still....Alabama should never be in the playoffs if they can't even win their own division.