National Championship Game

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Which is why the ideal situation would be to put the best team in each conference into a playoff.

This. Throw in 3 at larges for UCF types and you have an 8 team playoff where no one can really complain about not getting in. They will, but wouldn't have a leg to stand on any more.

34 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This. Throw in 3 at larges for UCF types and you have an 8 team playoff where no one can really complain about not getting in. They will, but wouldn't have a leg to stand on any more.

That's all fine and good but I'm not convinced they would have let UCF in with even 8 this year. Betcha about anything they would have given the 8th spot to Auburn. Yes I know UCF just beat Auburn, but they didn't know that then and the P5/SEC bias would have been too much to overcome. 

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Georgia

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

6. USC

7. Wisconsin

8. Auburn

Just now, spurs1990 said:

That's all fine and good but I'm not convinced they would have let UCF in with even 8 this year. Betcha about anything they would have given the 8th spot to Auburn. Yes I know UCF just beat Auburn, but they didn't know that then and the P5/SEC bias would have been too much to overcome. 

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Georgia

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

6. USC

7. Wisconsin

8. Auburn

There would have to be a clause that ensured 1 spot went to a G5 team if that team has an undefeated season 

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Which teams do you think would beat Alabama 3+ times out of 5? I don't think there are 4 teams that would beat Alabama 3 times out of 5. There is no metric, because we don't have a (big enough) playoff.

You can't use that metric to determine which teams are best, because it takes any on-the-field results completely off the table. If that's part of your metric, just award the national championship based on yearly recruiting rankings. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Georgia

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

6. USC

7. Wisconsin

8. Auburn

As others have said, you'd have to have a caveat for an undefeated G5 team. Take the P5 conference champions and 3 wild cards; if there is an undefeated G5 team, they automatically qualify for the #8 seed, unless they are higher ranked. This year, that would have given us, IMO:

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Georgia

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

6. Auburn

7. USC

8. UCF

• Plus1 1
On 1/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, FaithfulHusker said:

Now I actually have a reason to watch the championship now.

https://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Nebraska-head-coach-Scott-Frost-touches-on-a-number-of-topics-on-SportsCenter-113346176

Here are a couple of notes from his interview this morning. Hopefully a video will be posted soon. He has already answered some of the questions, so it's basically saying the same content over and over again. 

Edited by FaithfulHusker
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

You can't use that metric to determine which teams are best, because it takes any on-the-field results completely off the table. If that's part of your metric, just award the national championship based on yearly recruiting rankings. 

Did you read the rest of my post? The point of my question about who would beat Alabama 3 out of 5 times was that we're currently choosing subjectively, and it's my subjective opinion that Alabama is probably one of the best 4 teams. That doesn't mean I think they should've been in the playoff.

On the field results are pretty much off the table already when you're comparing multiple 1-loss and 2-loss teams, because there are very few non conference match ups, and the ones we have usually don't match up a top 3 team of one conference vs a top 3 team of another conference. Therefore we don't really know how good the teams are, and the best team in each conference should go the playoff.

Edited by Moiraine
37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Did you read the rest of my post? The point of my question about who would beat Alabama 3 out of 5 times was that we're currently choosing subjectively, and it's my subjective opinion that Alabama is probably one of the best 4 teams. That doesn't mean I think they should've been in the playoff.

On the field results are pretty much off the table already when you're comparing multiple 1-loss and 2-loss teams, because there are very few non conference match ups, and the ones we have usually don't match up a top 3 team of one conference vs a top 3 team of another conference. Therefore we don't really know how good the teams are, and the best team in each conference should go the playoff.

By looking at teams on paper, you invite the human element. Set up hard rules that have no exceptions. Don't say this team would beat these other teams more often then not because then you may as well just dismiss actually on field results...I mean yeah team x beat Alabama but we all know if they played 4 more times, Bama wins all 4...you see the issue with that line of thinking?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Oh, sure. Then the SEC gets to benefit with even more teams in the playoff. No thanks. I'd rather a potentially deserving team be left out of a 4 team playoff (sticking with Moiraine's comment about 4 different conferences represented) than to continue to allow the whole of the SEC to receive spoils that aren't collectively earned.

Edited by hskrpwr13

40 minutes ago, irafreak said:

By looking at teams on paper, you invite the human element. Set up hard rules that have no exceptions. Don't say this team would beat these other teams more often then not because then you may as well just dismiss actually on field results...I mean yeah team x beat Alabama but we all know if they played 4 more times, Bama wins all 4...you see the issue with that line of thinking?

Did you read the rest of my post? I feel like I'm talking to walls here, but since it's 2 of you I guess I'm wording it confusingly.

I'm saying (in my previous 2 posts) the best team in each conference should go to the playoff. That's a 10 team playoff with the 10 conference champions. Or something similar.

I'm also saying that I think Alabama is one of the best 4 teams - but it doesn't matter what I think. Should it matter what the playoff committee thinks? My point is it's subjective.

Edited by Moiraine
1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Oh, sure. Then the SEC gets to benefit with even more teams in the playoff. No thanks. I'd rather a potentially deserving team be left out of a 4 team playoff (sticking with Moiraine's comment about 4 different conferences represented) than to continue to allow the whole of the SEC to receive spoils that aren't collectively earned.

They couldn't keep leaving undefeated teams, other conference champions, etc out for 3 loss SEC teams if it were 8 teams. The committee would lose all credibility and member would be forced out. The corruption would be too blatant at that point.

Edited by runningblind

I say the 10 conferences widdel down to 8. Top 8 expand and pick up more teams. 8 conference winners are in 8 team playoff. The G5 teams more than likely don't have much shot against big boys in a playoff so no fear from G5 not winning. 

Would a UCF beat 3 auburn caliber 3 weeks in row to win 8 team playoff? Probably not 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Did you read the rest of my post? I feel like I'm talking to walls here, but since it's 2 of you I guess I'm wording it confusingly.

I'm saying (in my previous 2 posts) the best team in each conference should go to the playoff. That's a 10 team playoff with the 10 conference champions. Or something similar.

I'm also saying that I think Alabama is one of the best 4 teams - but it doesn't matter what I think. Should it matter what the playoff committee thinks? My point is it's subjective.

So, an 8 team playoff with 2 first round byes for #1 and #2?

49 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I say the 10 conferences widdel down to 8. Top 8 expand and pick up more teams. 8 conference winners are in 8 team playoff. The G5 teams more than likely don't have much shot against big boys in a playoff so no fear from G5 not winning. 

Would a UCF beat 3 auburn caliber 3 weeks in row to win 8 team playoff? Probably not 

It's not likely but it could happen and it would be awesome to watch. This is the whole point of sport,  play it out on the field.  It is what makes the NCAA BBall tourney great, the NFL playoffs great, etc.  If the G5 teams continue to get left out it means the big boys are scared and don't want anyone else in their clubhouse.  

If a G5 team won the title that is miracle on ice stuff and would be fantastic. Talked about forever. 

Edited by runningblind