National Championship Game

On 1/9/2018 at 7:32 AM, jaws said:

It is 2018 and I still can't believe that we have this dumb way of figuring out a national championship in D1 FBS football. This should have been fixed 40 years ago

Georgia fans think it was fixed this year.  

Oh wait, that's not what you meant.  lol :)

• Plus1 2

I still think the 8 best conferences all expand and shrink college football to 8 conferences. 8 Conference champs are in. If you cant win your conference you dont deserve to be in playoff. That would keep it so every game matters and regular season would still be exciting. What would it hurt if 3 G5 champs go in? They get seeds 6-8. They will all probably lose round 1 anyway right? Considering they will be playing seeds 1-3

I would argue the regular season would be more exciting than it is now. Because every team in the country is vying for national title. As long as you win your conference you get a shot.

The old argument that right now every game matters is crap. Alabama lost at the end of the season and it didnt hurt them. Or teams with 2-3 losses still have a shot to get in. If auburn would have won SEC they would have gotten in with multiple losses so that doesnt hold water anymore.

Edited by Huskers93-97
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I still think the 8 best conferences all expand and shrink college football to 8 conferences. 8 Conference champs are in. If you cant win your conference you dont deserve to be in playoff. That would keep it so every game matters and regular season would still be exciting. What would it hurt if 3 G5 champs go in? They get seeds 6-8. They will all probably lose round 1 anyway right? Considering they will be playing seeds 1-3

I would argue the regular season would be more exciting than it is now. Because every team in the country is vying for national title. As long as you win your conference you get a shot.

The old argument that right now every game matters is crap. Alabama lost at the end of the season and it didnt hurt them. Or teams with 2-3 losses still have a shot to get in. If auburn would have won SEC they would have gotten in with multiple losses so that doesnt hold water anymore.

Auburn didn't win the SEC, so the point of them getting in with multiple losses has no merit.  Thus far, the playoff committee is staying within the parameters that every game matters.  This is why we've never had a team in the playoffs with more than one loss.  With how the season unfolded, the committee really only had three teams to choose from for the fourth spot:  Alabama, Wisconsin, or UCF.  UCF was almost automatically disqualified because they don't belong to a p5 conference.  Therefore, the committee really only had two to choose from.  Alabama's only loss was to Auburn.  Prior to the bowl season, Auburn's only losses came from playoff team Clemson, playoff team Georgia, and top 20 ranked LSU.  Wisconsin's only loss was to Ohio State.  Prior to the bowl season, Ohio State's only lossess came from playoff team Oklahoma, and a total woodshed beating by 31 points to unranked Iowa.  Given this criteria, the committee put the team with the "best" loss into the playoff. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The old worn out argument about not every game matters is a load of crap.  Even back in the 80s and 90s, not ever game mattered.  Is someone really going to claim that in 1983, the game between Kansas and ISU mattered?  What about Oregon and Washington State?  Even the teams like Nebraska and OU didn't have a situation that "every game mattered".  If they would lose one or two games early, the rest of their season didn't mean squat. So, how is that "every game matters"?   It never has been a situation where every game matters and people who claim that are just parroting something they heard that sounds good.

Now, I agree with the statement I quoted.  If we went to a system where conference champs get in, it greatly increases the number of games that matter.  I all of a sudden actually have a  reason to pay attention to all conferences to see what team is actually going to come out of it to play for the championship.  You lose a game early???  The games still matter because you could still play your way into the CCG.  The old system has teams like this written off...meaning, their games didn't matter.

6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The argument was quite true when teams played 11 games at most.  It is no surprise that inflating the season pie to as many as 15 games reduced the size of each slice.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The old worn out argument about not every game matters is a load of crap.  Even back in the 80s and 90s, not ever game mattered.  Is someone really going to claim that in 1983, the game between Kansas and ISU mattered?

That has never, ever been what anyone meant by that phrase.

The phrase in college football is solely about national championships, and nothing else. If you wanted to win a national championship, you'd better win every game. If you wanted to win a national championship and lost 1 game, you had to get extremely lucky. That's the ONLY thing that phrase was ever about. And this is a topic about the national championship.

No one in this topic and no one discussing college football using that phrase is talking about games between teams like Kansas and Iowa State.

Edited by Moiraine