Peyton Newell Transferring to Kansas State?

Mavric

9 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

I usually transfer too when I’m about to be coached by an undefeated coaching staff that yields a head-coach fancied with coach of the year awards.  Just kidding... but seriously.

If my skill set didn't translate to said undefeated coaches schemes I would probably look at transferring so I could play my last year, and maybe contribute on the field, in my last year of eligibility. 

9 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

I usually transfer too when I’m about to be coached by an undefeated coaching staff that yields a head-coach fancied with coach of the year awards.  Just kidding... but seriously.

In a vacuum, yes. If you have any desire to try to go pro, and you need to get on film, you don't sit for one coach when you may play for another, even if there may be a difference in the coaches' pedigrees. In this case, can't currently say that Bill Snyder is a step down from Frost.

1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

In a vacuum, yes. If you have any desire to try to go pro, and you need to get on film, you don't sit for one coach when you may play for another, even if there may be a difference in the coaches' pedigrees. In this case, can't currently say that Bill Snyder is a step down from Frost.

Isn’t there a risk there that you might not play?  Kind of makes sense but then it doesn’t. Best of luck kid, sorry about the old staff 

1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Doesn't matter if it's a step down, and this has nothing to do about getting film out.  It's about playing.  In the next scheme, he most likely isn't going to fit.  Go somewhere and play.  It's his SR season, it's his last rodeo, get on the field, where ever that may be and play the game you love.  If by chance he gets lucky enough to get tape for the NFL great, but this is more likely him going, I've got one more year of organized football left, do I want to be a practice dummy or go somewhere and get meaningful snaps?   Me, knowing it's my last season, I'm going somewhere where I can get meaningful snaps.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Isn’t there a risk there that you might not play?  Kind of makes sense but then it doesn’t. Best of luck kid, sorry about the old staff 

Sure. But, I'm assuming he's had the necessary conversations that makes him believe he has a much less shot at playing time with Frost than Snyder.

4 minutes ago, sho said:

Doesn't matter if it's a step down, and this has nothing to do about getting film out.  It's about playing.  In the next scheme, he most likely isn't going to fit.  Go somewhere and play.  It's his SR season, it's his last rodeo, get on the field, where ever that may be and play the game you love.  If by chance he gets lucky enough to get tape for the NFL great, but this is more likely him going, I've got one more year of organized football left, do I want to be a practice dummy or go somewhere and get meaningful snaps?   Me, knowing it's my last season, I'm going somewhere where I can get meaningful snaps.

We're stating the same thing.

He's also from Kansas, so he may just want to go back.  Sucks he never worked out here.  Was pretty highly rated, with a pretty dang good offer list out of HS.  Kansas state also recruited him out of HS, so there's probably some pre-existing relationship here.

Edited by RedSavage
Grammar
  • Plus1 1

Who cares what his motivations are. He got his degree and gave this program 4 years. He's exactly what you want in a student athlete at Nebraska:

» Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll (Fall 2014, 2016)
» Brook Berringer Citizenship Team (2016, 2017)
» Tom Osborne Citizenship Team (2016, 2017)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209395691

Edited by theknife
  • Plus1 6

11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Kind of makes sense now that I think of it.  As a transfer he must sit out a year and since he's already at a redshirt year, next year will be spent working his tail off to get into the 2019 starting lineup 

He's a grad transfer, so he's eligible to play in 2018, which will be his final year unless he gets a medical waiver granting him a sixth year.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I get what you are saying, but you can't group these together.  DPE and Gates were 3 year starters.  Newell was lucky to see the field for 3 plays/game.

Yeah, I understand it's 3 different situations. However, I guess my perception is that they all fell short of expectations and not necessarily just the expectations at the time they were recruited. DPE may have been a mid level 3 star but after some early flashes of brilliance...nada. And yeah he had injuries but still it seems like we've had more than our fair share not contribute much and many others fall well short of expectations. I guess the easy answer for most of it is coaching with some other circumstances added on top of it.

35 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah, I understand it's 3 different situations. However, I guess my perception is that they all fell short of expectations and not necessarily just the expectations at the time they were recruited. DPE may have been a mid level 3 star but after some early flashes of brilliance...nada. And yeah he had injuries but still it seems like we've had more than our fair share not contribute much and many others fall well short of expectations. I guess the easy answer for most of it is coaching with some other circumstances added on top of it.

This is the problem with only looking at recruiting rankings and saying that "the talent is there."  People need to look at the talent that stayed and what that talent did in 3-4 years.  

It's not always "the coach didn't develop them."  Sometimes they just aren't good enough for the team or they don't fit with the scheme anymore.  Better they grad transfer and use someone else's scholarship and take another crack at it and free something up at Nebraska for a new player.

4 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Well, good luck to him.

Is it just my perception or have we had more than our share of supposedly high ranked (high for us anyway) recruits that just really haven't contributed much by the time they leave? Newell, Gates, DPE come immediately to mind. I've never followed recruiting very closely and this is a big reason why but it just seems like we haven't had much luck with our higher ranked recruits. I would tend to blame the lack of player development under our last 2 coaches or is it just a string of bad luck on something that amounts to little more than hit or miss?

Only one of those guys was an composite 4 star, wouldn't really refer to them as three highly rated guys.