BTN: Early Look at B1G West in 2018

Mavric

6 hours ago, NUance said:

#5 out of 7?  Boy, that's painful to see.  Can't really say I disagree though.  /sad horse 

I'm with you NUance.  I'll shoot for a good culture change in year one.  There isn't anyone on this roster that has been a part of a real football practice or culture.  I don't expect a "buy-in" that produces an 11-1 record.  I just think that kind of talk puts Scott & Company in a totally unrealistic expectation.  I think 6-6 is a reasonable record going into year one.  I think with that as a goal it's achievable.  If everyone buys-in It could be 1-2 games better.  That would all be gravy to me.

It's more then concerning to me that folks think we are gonna think we are gonna be like Oklahoma's record for the next 3-4 years.  Crazy talk.  Scott's gonna be a good coach ... but we have much in culture to build.  There are all kinds of basic football skills like blocking and tackling to instill.  Then we need to build a pipeline on the OL and DL.  Finally, we need to then get back into the top 15 in recruiting classes.

I love that Scott did well at UCF ... but I think Nebraska is a major rebuild project with plenty of issues.  Gonna tamper down any real high expectations and look forward to some solid, fundamental, tough nosed football as he builds us back into a champion.

• Plus1 1

I think we might be able to win 6-8 games. Expecting much more is wishful thinking. 

Let's give this staff some time. I would think the rest of the B1G took notice, when we hired Frost. He will have his hands full trying not to get run over his first year, as his welcome to the B1G.

I see only better days ahead.

GBR!!!

10 hours ago, lo country said:

I'm optimistic as can be with Frost.  However, we just had our worst season like 50 years....That craptastic taste is going to take a few trips to the buffet line to take away......Throw in like 15 years of blow out losses and its hard not to down grade us...

I agree.  We don't have the best track record recently.  However I think Frost is going to earn respect quick.

I think we finish better than 5th as well, but the obvious signs are there to say otherwise in regards to 'pre season' rankings 

1. Coming off a 4-8 record
  2. New head coach
  3. Switching the offense from slow huddle pro to no huddle spread 
  4. Toughest schedule in the B10 - see brutal road schedule below. Also a crossover with Michigan State in Lincoln  
  5. Starting a freshman QB

@ Michigan 

@ Wisconsin 

@ Northwestern 

@ Ohio State

@ Iowa 

Edited by BIG ERN
15 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think we finish better than 5th as well, but the obvious signs are there to say otherwise in regards to 'pre season' rankings 

1. Coming off a 4-8 record
  2. New head coach
  3. Switching the offense from slow huddle pro to no huddle spread 
  4. Toughest schedule in the B10 - see brutal road schedule below. Also a crossover with Michigan State in Lincoln  
  5. Starting a freshman QB

@ Michigan 

@ Wisconsin 

@ Northwestern 

@ Ohio State

@ Iowa 

wonder if POB knows he isnt starting yet.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

There is no way we finish 5th. Third at worst, and wouldn't be surprised to see us win the division.

Come on man...Do you NOT remember last year, before the 2017 season even started, when ESPN and some other site were saying Nebraska would finish 5-7 and 6-6?

We all laughed and scoffed at the notion, said there was "no way" that would happen.  Well, look how 2017 turned out...we were actually WORSE than even ESPN and that other site predicted.

Point is, while I tend to agree with your overall sentiment, to say there is "no way" Nebraska finishes 5th in our division is to completely ignore what happened just last season.

The part in bold...maybe that is what should happen and would be for the best.  :lol:

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 1

As far as what to expect next year, I'd say look at Texas this year. A lot of people have called Frost this year's Tom Herman, after all. The media was so hot on Herman that the preseason polls actually had Texas ranked, but that was obviously nuts when they'd just went 5-7 the year before. I don't expect them to make that same mistake with Frost. In the end they went 7-6, with a single victory against a ranked opponent, #24 West Virginia. A definite improvement, but not exactly a "we're back" kind of performance that gets people excited.

Edited by Toe
On 1/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Come on man...Do you NOT remember last year, before the 2017 season even started, when ESPN and some other site were saying Nebraska would finish 5-7 and 6-6?

We all laughed and scoffed at the notion, said there was "no way" that would happen.  Well, look how 2017 turned out...we were actually WORSE than even ESPN and that other site predicted.

Point is, while I tend to agree with your overall sentiment, to say there is "no way" Nebraska finishes 5th in our division is to completely ignore what happened just last season.

The part in bold...maybe that is what should happen and would be for the best.  :lol:

I didn't laugh or scoff, and neither did a lot of others. I predicted a bad season because of no more TA. Tommy was key to making the offense go. Without TA's ability to pick up 1st downs, and the threat of TA running, the MR offense was pathetic. Given that, the two main reasons for such a bad season were (1) the only DC on planet earth worse than Cosgrove and Banker, and an immobile QB. Both of those will be corrected next year. Add the fact that we went from one of the worst coaching staffs in P5 football to one of the best, and we are set for at least 8 wins next year.