C Tyrone Sampson, Jr. [Fresno State - Signed LOI]

To Which School Will Sampson Jr Commit?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Sampson Jr Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Michigan State
    • Indiana
    • Ole Miss
    • Kentucky
    • Virginia
    • Western Michigan
    • Mississippi State

This poll is closed to new votes

While we are on the 'red flag' discussion, kids that weigh this much (he's listed at 330) in HS kinda worry me to be honest.  They are so much bigger than everyone else they can just use their size and lean on guys to move them.  In college that doesn't play.  And once they hit college they need to rework their body and lose weight, which is much more difficult to do than gain weight.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

But it is a 2 way street.  The player has to want to be taught and developed, and put in the corresponding work to get there.

Frost has been out front saying that you are going to have to work hard to play, so I would image they are telling recruits the same thing.   This is why star watching does not always work.   It's called player evaluation, which are past staff did little of.

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

While we are on the 'red flag' discussion, kids that weigh this much (he's listed at 330) in HS kinda worry me to be honest.  They are so much bigger than everyone else they can just use their size and lean on guys to move them.  In college that doesn't play.  And once they hit college they need to rework their body and lose weight, which is much more difficult to do than gain weight.

247 has him listed as 295. General consensus is that he's closer to 6' and not 6'3 as well. 

Rivals says 295 as well.

Edited by spurs1990
  • Plus1 1

It certainly is interesting that a player rated this high isn't garnering a ton or attention, similar to seeing a three star that has schools flying in left and right with offers.  At the end of the day I will take as many of these high star rated kids as we can get as I think  it is a factor in long term high level success.   

2 minutes ago, mnhusker said:

It certainly is interesting that a player rated this high isn't garnering a ton or attention, similar to seeing a three star that has schools flying in left and right with offers.  At the end of the day I will take as many of these high star rated kids as we can get as I think  it is a factor in long term high level success.   

I would guess his Height will scare off a lot of larger programs from offering this kid.  His rating may reflect his tape and how well he has performed on the camp circuit.  His offers may reflect what schools view his potential at the next level.  An interior lineman can get away with being a little shorter in college and could still be fine, but will have to make for that deficiency by excelling it in other areas like technique, explosiveness, intelligence, etc...

• Mavric changed the title to C Tyrone Sampson, Jr. [Fresno State - Signed LOI]