Frost, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer

Was telling my buddy last night, I expect Urban to be getting "tired" again soon.  And Jim will find his way back to the league sooner than later.  Honestly the two premieres in the Big Ten could be Frost/NU and Franklin/PSU.

If I had to predict the landscape in a few years...

Washington

UCLA

Nebraska

Penn State

Oklahoma

TCU

Clemson

Va Tech

Georgia

Texas A&M

Alabama (if Saban is still there)

• Plus1 4

I've never understood the over-infatuation with Harbaugh. I think he's a very good coach but some people love the guy. He hit a very high mark with Stanford, left the 49ers after failing to make the playoffs for the first time as coach there and has yet to beat OSU or even win the division. He also can't find a really good quarterback despite several years of top ranked classes. It's just interesting.

I think @runningblind is spot on in his analysis, though. +1

I think Harbaugh is gone after next year.  He has failed miserably in winning the games he was hired to win.

Big fan of Coach Frost, but would take Meyer in a heart beat.  He knows all the ins and outs of the business, how to recruit big time prospects.  He would never come to Nebraska, his decisions are all about talent availability.

I think we may have a young Meyer with Coach Frost, the question for me is will we give him time to fix this giant mess?  I have read on this site, that some expect to win the CCG in the next two years.  It might happen, but expecting it is just looking for problems, as some will start complaining if it doesn't happen fast enough and the squeaky wheel is the loudest.

The biggest difference for me is that Coach Frost wants to be at Nebraska.  This isn't a stepping stone for him.  

Edited by skersfan
  • Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I think we may have a young Meyer with Coach Frost, the question for me is will we give him time to fix this giant mess?  I have read on this site, that some expect to win the CCG in the next two years.  It might happen, but expecting it is just looking for problems, as some will start complaining if it doesn't happen fast enough and the squeaky wheel is the loudest.

Some people are being ridiculous, I agree. Frost proved a lot to himself and the world with his work at UCF but there's no guarantee of those results translating anywhere. So many factors are always at play.

Now, I need to be careful how I say this next part. My level of patience is quite high in terms of quantifiable results. I'm not going to get too high or low with anything that happens in the next 3-4 years. We've got 20 years of cultural issues to overcome and it often takes time. There are (of course) caveats to that. If he's winning four games in year four then something may need to be evaluated, even though I'm very confident that's not going to be an issue.

After year 4-5, that's when I'm going to really start evaluating where everything is at.

• Plus1 3

From an objective standpoint I don't see any coach being on the level of Meyer outside of saban at this moment.  That being said, there are a few coaches who can reach his level of success in the next 5 years and frost is definitely one of them.  Harbaugh is what he is and has shown signs of being a good college football coach but as of now, frost is the more impressive of the 2.  

1 hour ago, skersfan said:

I think Harbaugh is gone after next year.  He has failed miserably in winning the games he was hired to win.

Big fan of Coach Frost, but would take Meyer in a heart beat.  He knows all the ins and outs of the business, how to recruit big time prospects.  He would never come to Nebraska, his decisions are all about talent availability.

The biggest different for me is that Coach Frost wants to be at Nebraska.  This isn't a stepping stone for him.  

Frost will get all 7 years of his contract. Moos already said if we stub our toe he will let Frost right the ship. 

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe it's silly, but I wouldn't pick Meyer over Frost. He wouldn't stay with us very long, and he hasn't coached in a place hard to recruit to in a long, long time. His name would bring in a lot of good recruits but not as many as he gets at Ohio State.

That's the same reason I prefer Frost over Urban. I am hoping Frost stays at Nebraska for 30 years, along with most of his staff.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe it's silly, but I wouldn't pick Meyer over Frost. He wouldn't stay with us very long, and he hasn't coached in a place hard to recruit to in a long, long time. His name would bring in a lot of good recruits but not as many as he gets at Ohio State.

It's not silly at all. I wouldn't pick any coach over Frost at this moment. Saban and Meyer are definitely good coaches but they need that elite talent to be as good as they are. I honestly believe Frost can and will get more out of lesser rated players. It may be the last hurrah ultimatum in me but I really think Frost is poised to do some amazing things at Nebraska. I think we'll begin to see it this coming season but hold on once he has the cultural issues fixed in this program. I wouldn't trade him for Meyer or Saban or anyone. And imo, Harbaugh doesn't even belong in the discussion.

• Plus1 3