Frost, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer

Meyer is a great coach but I think he’s peaked as coach who does more with less and instead does less with more. Florida and OSU were programs waiting for success. Zook recruited Florida at a high level, ranking 20/2/7 (according to rivals). And if it weren’t for tattoo scandal, sweater vest may still be at OSU recruiting at just as high of a clip as Urban has. He’s won titles, but with other coaches players. 

Harbaugh is a gimmick. His shtick gets old and his personality wears on people, which unsurprisingly, I’ve heard goes back to his time at USD. 

Like many, I’ve been hoping for Frost to become the head coach since he got into coaching and I’m going to let my homerism shine. Frost all the way baby. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, skersfan said:

I think Harbaugh is gone after next year.  He has failed miserably in winning the games he was hired to win.

Big fan of Coach Frost, but would take Meyer in a heart beat.  He knows all the ins and outs of the business, how to recruit big time prospects.  He would never come to Nebraska, his decisions are all about talent availability.

I think we may have a young Meyer with Coach Frost, the question for me is will we give him time to fix this giant mess?  I have read on this site, that some expect to win the CCG in the next two years.  It might happen, but expecting it is just looking for problems, as some will start complaining if it doesn't happen fast enough and the squeaky wheel is the loudest.

The biggest difference for me is that Coach Frost wants to be at Nebraska.  This isn't a stepping stone for him.  

I think Harbaugh is gone too, maybe sooner than people think.  If Meyer doesn't get a good quarterback soon he may leave as well.  He works well when he has good players but when he doesn't he starts looking at the exit door. Scott is the man.  As far as people complaining: I think we stick to the deal we all made when we were writing on the Scott Frost Mega Thread:  If someone starts complaining about Coach Frost after a couple of years, whining about how we haven't won a national championship, or whatever, that we call them on it.  We have been a mess for some time now and he isn't going to instantly come in and wave a magic wand to fix everything. 

Edited by ladyhawke
  • Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

From an objective standpoint I don't see any coach being on the level of Meyer outside of saban at this moment.  That being said, there are a few coaches who can reach his level of success in the next 5 years and frost is definitely one of them.  Harbaugh is what he is and has shown signs of being a good college football coach but as of now, frost is the more impressive of the 2.  

Didn't Meyer's team get beat by Iowa this year?  How can such a high level coach let that happen?  Saban got beat by Auburn-Again!  How can these high level coaches mess up so badly? I don't get it. I would pick Coach Frost over those two any day.  It will be fun to see how Frost coaches against Meyer this fall.

Edited by ladyhawke
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I think we stick to the deal we all made when we were writing on the Scott Frost Mega Thread:  If someone starts complaining about Coach Frost after a couple of years, whining about how we haven't won a national championship, or whatever, that we call them on it.  We have been a mess for some time now and he isn't going to instantly come in and wave a magic wand to fix everything. 

I can agree with that. I got what I wanted and I think I’m going to start enjoying watching Husker football again.

11 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Didn't Meyer's team get beat by Iowa this year?  How can such a high level coach let that happen?  Saban got beat by Auburn-Again!  How can these high level coaches mess up so badly? I don't get it.

Really? I mean, I guess I don't get it either, but every great coach has lost games against inferior teams. Osborne couldn't win a bowl game for years in a row, and lost to Iowa State. It seems to happen quite a bit in college football which is a big reason why I like the sport so much.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Really? I mean, I guess I don't get it either, but every great coach has lost games against inferior teams. Osborne couldn't win a bowl game for years in a row, and lost to Iowa State. It seems to happen quite a bit in college football which is a big reason why I like the sport so much.

I know what you mean.  My husband asked me why I disliked Saban so much.  I said, because I don't want any coach to beat out Osborne.  Silly, I know.  There's just something about Saban that just rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe I'm just jealous that he wins so much.  Meyer, I don't know.  I remember when Tim Tebow left and that team started to go downhill.  The next thing you know is Meyer is jumping ship.  Hopefully, he won't do that to his alma mater.  Harbaugh is a question mark.  Again, if he has high quality players he seems to do well but I think he would still be in the NFL if they hadn't have let him go.  But he said he wasn't going to leave when a reporter asked him about the NFL after they lost their bowl game.  I know that Coach Osborne lost a few doozies too.  Don't pay any attention to me.  I'm still mad that UCF got screwed out of being able to play with the big boys. I don't like the current play off system but it's what we have.  (I remember after they fired Frank, Pederson (sp?) called Urban Meyer to see if he would be interested in coming to Nebraska.   Meyer said, no way.  He said he couldn't believe that they would fire a coach who had a 9 win season.  Meyer thought that was crazy as did many others.)

2 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I know what you mean.  My husband asked me why I disliked Saban so much.  I said, because I don't want any coach to beat out Osborne.  Silly, I know.  There's just something about Saban that just rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe I'm just jealous that he wins so much.  Meyer, I don't know.  I remember when Tim Tebow left and that team started to go downhill.  The next thing you know is Meyer is jumping ship.  Hopefully, he won't do that to his alma mater.  Harbaugh is a question mark.  Again, if he has high quality players he seems to do well but I think he would still be in the NFL if they hadn't have let him go.  But he said he wasn't going to leave when a reporter asked him about the NFL after they lost their bowl game.  I know that Coach Osborne lost a few doozies too.  Don't pay any attention to me.  I'm still mad that UCF got screwed out of being able to play with the big boys. I don't like the current play off system but it's what we have.  (I remember after they fired Frank, Pederson (sp?) called Urban Meyer to see if he would be interested in coming to Nebraska.   Meyer said, no way.  He said he couldn't believe that they would fire a coach who had a 9 win season.  Meyer thought that was crazy as did many others.)

Well, you/we can cling to the fact Saban's only had 1 undefeated national championship season. Urban Meyer has 0.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

Meyer for the assurance. 

Frost for the longevity. 

Lets not forget Harbaugh went home to his alma mater too. Michigan was reeling. He’s injected life but not their standard results.  

Frost has as long as it takes, long long leash. Young, new, fresh, N born and bred. Not only will he right the ship, but he’ll set reasonable expectations amongst the fan base; people will believe what he says because he has nothing to hide. Like Callahan or Reilly simply did not fit. Pellini was a good coach but too hostile for us. 

Frost will do everything they did right AND do it the way we expect. And people will live with that because he wants it for us as much as for himself and his team. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Roll Skers said:

Would anyone not take Dabo over these 3 in a heartbeat?

Yes. Little longer than a heartbeat with Frost because I would pick him over the other 2 and 'cause I'm biased. But Clemson is a little harder to recruit to, so I'd have more faith in him doing well here than I'd have in Saban/Meyer.

Edited by Moiraine
5 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Saban and Meyer are definitely good coaches but they need that elite talent to be as good as they are. 

4 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Meyer is a great coach but I think he’s peaked as coach who does more with less and instead does less with more. Florida and OSU were programs waiting for success. Zook recruited Florida at a high level, ranking 20/2/7 (according to rivals). And if it weren’t for tattoo scandal, sweater vest may still be at OSU recruiting at just as high of a clip as Urban has. He’s won titles, but with other coaches players. 

Urban Meyer went 8-3 and 9-3 at Bowling Green, then went 10-2 and 12-0 at Utah... 

Meyer would have used Neb as a stepping stone. He had the job at DONU if he would have kept Gill on and agreed not to bring his whole staff with him, from Utah. Also he said if the ND job opened up he wanted out of his contract. That's what I remember reading. Meyer would have won here, just wasn't going to be a long time Husker coach.

We got the right coach. He wants to be here. I always thought that we needed a coach with ties to Neb. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1