Frost, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer

15 hours ago, Landlord said:

He's like the exact same as Osborne in that regard, only Southern. Very spiritual/religious guy influenced by the culture he grew up in. 

Point taken.  He just seems like a doofus to me, though (and I'm not implying we might not agree on that point since you qualified how he compares to TO).

16 hours ago, NUinID said:

I have never gotten the impression that Dabo is some bible thumper.  The only job Dabo is leaving Clemson for is Alabama when Nick retires.  

I don't blame you.  I try not to pay much attention to the man as well.  Did you know he baptized a player in an animal trough on the football field?

Edited by beorach

13 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

And there is nothing wrong with that, to each his own.

I don't have a problem with religious types.  I'm a believer myself.  I'm just not impressed with the head coach at Clemson (such that I wouldn't want him at the head of a program I've committed to for life as a Nebraskan).

On 1/7/2018 at 10:00 PM, ladyhawke said:

Didn't Meyer's team get beat by Iowa this year?  How can such a high level coach let that happen?  Saban got beat by Auburn-Again!  How can these high level coaches mess up so badly? I don't get it. I would pick Coach Frost over those two any day.  It will be fun to see how Frost coaches against Meyer this fall.

Good point!  (I LOVED that Hawkeye beatdown of tOSU!  lol) 

I think teams like Bama and tOSU are in red letters on every other team's schedule.  Coaches always say, "one game at a time."  But you know they have to put more emphasis on the big games than on games with the cellar dwellers.  Iowa and Auburn probably spent a lot more time gameplanning for Bama/tOSU than for, say, Purdue and Mercer.  (Iowa lost to Purdue and Auburn squeeked by Mercer 24-10).  That's why it's so hard to run the table in college football.  /jmho :)

39 minutes ago, beorach said:

I don't blame you.  I try not to pay much attention to the man as well.  Did you know he baptized a player in an animal trough on the football field?

If your beef with Dabo is that he comes off as doofus and southern folksey why do you bring the religious stuff into it?  His personality is very reminiscent of Bobby Bowden  IMO

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

If your beef with Dabo is that he comes off as doofus and southern folksey why do you bring the religious stuff into it?  His personality is very reminiscent of Bobby Bowden  IMO

Considering you admitted to not having been aware of Dabo's religious character, as portrayed to us with the assistance of the media, I don't follow how you're seriously questioning a jocular comment I made on its authenticity above.  I could speculate on your motivation but don't figure it'd be any more fun for you than it has been for me.

I don't have a "beef with Dabo" but merely indicated a preference as to his potentially coaching football in Lincoln.  That's the type of discussion we're having ITT.  If you want to have one about religion, there's another forum for that.

All I'm sure about, with respect to the Clemson football staff, is that Venables is one heck of a coach.

p.s. - TO being friends with Bobby Bowden doesn't mean anybody else has to like him.

36 minutes ago, beorach said:

Considering you admitted to not having been aware of Dabo's religious character, as portrayed to us with the assistance of the media, I don't follow how you're seriously questioning a jocular comment I made on its authenticity above.  I could speculate on your motivation but don't figure it'd be any more fun for you than it has been for me.

I don't have a "beef with Dabo" but merely indicated a preference as to his potentially coaching football in Lincoln.  That's the type of discussion we're having ITT.  If you want to have one about religion, there's another forum for that.

All I'm sure about, with respect to the Clemson football staff, is that Venables is one heck of a coach.

p.s. - TO being friends with Bobby Bowden doesn't mean anybody else has to like him.

I guess my point is that I knew he is religious, never thought he played it up anymore than any other religious FB coach.  There are actually quite a few out there that profess to be, our new coach is one of  them. 

Sorry if I offended you, I don't go out of my way to listen to sound bites from Dabo Sweeney any more than I do to listen to Nick Sabin, Jim Harbaugh or Urban Meyer.  

Does Dabo have a down home, southern, folksy style that some might call doofus, sure.   I can understand not liking that.  

• Plus1 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, NUinID said:

I guess my point is that I knew he is religious, never thought he played it up anymore than any other religious FB coach.  There are actually quite a few out there that profess to be, our new coach is one of  them. 

Sorry if I offended you, I don't go out of my way to listen to sound bites from Dabo Sweeney any more than I do to listen to Nick Sabin, Jim Harbaugh or Urban Meyer.  

Does Dabo have a down home, southern, folksy style that some might call doofus, sure.   I can understand not liking that.  

We're good.  I'm not offended.  I just thought you were looking pretty hard for something I wasn't trying to put there, if that makes sense?  GBR!

I am assuming this question is based off picking one of those 3 for Nebraska. Here are my thoughts why I would choose Frost. I am going to debate Frost vs Meyer- I honestly dont take harbaugh as worth discussing.

1. Frost is loyal and I think he will provide longevity and stability to the program. So by providing stability for say 20 years or more he will be able to re-establish the old culture that made Nebraska feel like family to old huskers and current players. Plus I envision a lot of winning along the way. I think Meyer would get tired after a few years and "retire" or bolt to Notre Dame or something. No loyalty, so he eventually would leave us looking for another coach and instability.

2. Frost is younger than urban meyer by 10 years or so? That in itself would give us a younger coach that will have more years in him to coach.

3. Frost is innovative like osborne- tweaks offense to stay cutting edge. I feel like Meyer as he has gotten older has gotten complacent and he himself even admitted he is not that involved in coaching anymore- he just focuses on motivating players and lets his assistants coach the players.

4. Players absolutely love Frost, it seems like he has a genuine love for his team like osborne did. When that is genuine the kids pick up on it. I could see it being a situation where the kids love frost and love nebraska like they used to in the old days. Really love Nebraska. Given that, it could be a deal where you have a frost looking up to osborne and comes home to coach his alma mater. Maybe in the future Frost has a mentoree that comes home and continues the tradition, the next up and coming coach. I dont see someone coming home to ohio state because they love the mentoring they get from meyer. 

Just my 2 cents.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

I am not arguing who has the best credentials. At this point in time, if you cold have JH UM or Frost to lead the Huskers, who would you choose. I strongly believe a young coach with more to prove will work harder. Given Frost's age, charisma, knowledge of Husker tradition, and past results, I would pick Frost.

Given these parameters, the choice really comes down to two:  Harbaugh or Frost.  Meyer is a great coach, but he always takes the path of least resistance.  He didn't take his "dream" job at Notre Dame because the Florida job was the path of least resistance.  Zook had recruited rather well at Florida leaving the cupboard full for Meyer.  After suffering his worst season as a head coach, he leaves Florida.  The Ohio State job opens up where again they have a roster completely stacked with talent.  I don't think Meyer does well at Nebraska.  Even at Bowling Green and Utah, he had a pretty elite QB.  I don't think we have a Josh Harris, Alex Smith, or Tim Tebow on the roster. 

With the choice down to two, it really comes down to experience or youth.  As you note, Frost knows Husker tradition.  Harbaugh has been a winner everywhere he's been.  What it all boils down to is was UCF's turnaround a fluke?  Frost's only head coaching experience has been at UCF, and it was only for two years.  Yes, they didn't win a game the season before he got there.  However, they did go 12-1 finishing around the top 10 three years before he got there and 9-4 two years before he got there.  This wasn't the sort of rebuild comparable to what Bill Snyder did at KState.  However, I think we can use some of what he accomplished before he became a head coach.  Chip Kelly brought Frost into the Oregon program because he wanted to instill toughness in his wide receivers.  UCF won this year primarily because of toughness both physically and mentally.  I also have to look at the Oregon program when Frost was there and what happened after he left.  When he left, the wheels fell off of the cart.  Coincidence?  Frost has either been coached by or coached with some of the greatest football minds in history.  For the Nebraska rebuild, I'll have to go with Frost.   

• Plus1 1
On 1/9/2018 at 2:22 PM, NUinID said:

Yep. That would be very understandably insufferable in Nebraska. But Southerners love it. It's not good or bad, it's just a cultural thing. 

For example, Scott Frost is quintessential Nebraska. He's also extremely invested in his Christian faith, just like Dabo, but he's quiet, direct, and doesn't really offer up much to say without being asked. He's blunt but polite. People that aren't from the heartland don't necessarily understand or like that. But Nebraskans, rightfully, can't get enough of it. 

• Plus1 1