Frost, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer

18 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Given these parameters, the choice really comes down to two:  Harbaugh or Frost.  Meyer is a great coach, but he always takes the path of least resistance.  He didn't take his "dream" job at Notre Dame because the Florida job was the path of least resistance.  Zook had recruited rather well at Florida leaving the cupboard full for Meyer.  After suffering his worst season as a head coach, he leaves Florida.  The Ohio State job opens up where again they have a roster completely stacked with talent.  I don't think Meyer does well at Nebraska.  Even at Bowling Green and Utah, he had a pretty elite QB.  I don't think we have a Josh Harris, Alex Smith, or Tim Tebow on the roster. 

I have never heard anyone call Josh Harris Elite. Alex Smith has been a nice pro QB and was a very good college QB. Tim Tebow is Tim Tebow. Urban also won a NC with Chris Leak as the starter, not really an elite QB. Zook didn't recruit Tebow, Harvin, James, and some of the others that were pivotal for their NCs. The 2014 sophomore class (his recruits) at OSU was the class that put them over the top to win the NC in 2014. Braxton Miller was an incredible athlete but was hurt a lot and Kenny Guiton was called on to win a few games. Barrett and Jones weren't elite QBs. Maybe Urban and his staff can develop a few guys. 

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yep. That would be very understandably insufferable in Nebraska. But Southerners love it. It's not good or bad, it's just a cultural thing. 

For example, Scott Frost is quintessential Nebraska. He's also extremely invested in his Christian faith, just like Dabo, but he's quiet, direct, and doesn't really offer up much to say without being asked. He's blunt but polite. People that aren't from the heartland don't necessarily understand or like that. But Nebraskans, rightfully, can't get enough of it. 

I'm a Nebraskan but my roots are Southern.  It's not a cultural thing for me, bless his heart.  ;)

Urban Meyer will either retire at Ohio State or decide at some point to give the NFL a try.  I think Frost is the next and upcoming coach in the country and I hope Nebraska will be patient as he will need time to get his system and his recruits into place.  Winning in a power 5 conference is a lot different than winning in a non-power 5 conference...you just don't have the week to week grind.

With that said, both Nick Saban and Urban Meyer both started in the MAC (non-power conference) and look where they are today.  Frost will one day get to their levels.  Grand Slam hire for Nebraska and I am happy to have him in the Big 10 - it just makes the conference stronger.

Well done, Nebraska! :cheers

On 1/7/2018 at 5:03 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

Who would you rather have as your head coach right now? I would take Frost. Harbaugh isn't producing elite results at Michigan, and Urban never seems to last very long at one school. I think Frost will out perform both of them.

Can you be more specific what you consider a long tenure is for Meyer?

2 years at Bowling Green.  Understandable 

2 years at Utah.  At the time, understandable 

6 years at Florida

6 years so far at Ohio St

His last 2 stops are as long or longer than just about any P5 coach in the country except a couple.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:19 PM, StPaulHusker said:

Can you be more specific what you consider a long tenure is for Meyer?

2 years at Bowling Green.  Understandable 

2 years at Utah.  At the time, understandable 

6 years at Florida

6 years so far at Ohio St

His last 2 stops are as long or longer than just about any P5 coach in the country except a couple.

UM left Florida because of "burn out". There are many P5 coaches with more than 6 years, and most that don't make 6 years are forced out. If Frost has the same success UM had at Florida, I do not expect Frost to leave. 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:55 AM, jaws said:

I have never heard anyone call Josh Harris Elite. Alex Smith has been a nice pro QB and was a very good college QB. Tim Tebow is Tim Tebow. Urban also won a NC with Chris Leak as the starter, not really an elite QB. Zook didn't recruit Tebow, Harvin, James, and some of the others that were pivotal for their NCs. The 2014 sophomore class (his recruits) at OSU was the class that put them over the top to win the NC in 2014. Braxton Miller was an incredible athlete but was hurt a lot and Kenny Guiton was called on to win a few games. Barrett and Jones weren't elite QBs. Maybe Urban and his staff can develop a few guys. 

Those BGSU teams especially the 2002 team were a lot of fun to watch.  The '02 team hung 40+ on almost everyone they played IIRC.

8 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

UM left Florida because of "burn out". There are many P5 coaches with more than 6 years, and most that don't make 6 years are forced out. If Frost has the same success UM had at Florida, I do not expect Frost to leave. 

Out of 130 FBS coaches, 28 have been at their school 6+ years.  The vast majority are from non-P5 schools.  

So my question again is how long is long term?

7 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Out of 130 FBS coaches, 28 have been at their school 6+ years.  The vast majority are from non-P5 schools.  

Well it's different than it was in the 80s and 90s when there were a lot of  coaches aging out of the business.   Bowden, Paterno,  Osborne, Edwards, etc were the last generation.  Since then, there have been a lot of changes in the game and that has led to a lot of coaches cycling out due to the inability to adapt.  At this point, I'd say 10 years is long term, but as things sort themselves out we will start to see another era of 20+ year coaches in the near future.  

13 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

You said a couple, and my gut says a couple is too low; 28, IMO is many. I also don't think UM will make it to 10 years, which is my definition of medium term. I say long term is 20 years.

We shouldn't be comparing Urban Meyer's tenure to the average football coach. We should be comparing it to other coaches who are very successful. You would expect a coach who wins as many games as Meyer to be there for much longer than the average. For a coach who wins has much as he has, and wins championships, 6 years is very short.

He's from Ohio though, so I don't expect him to leave like he left Florida.

Edited by Moiraine
12 hours ago, jaws said:

10 years is an eternity for a coach in today's environment. People in general don't stay at their places of employment as long as they used to.

I think that will be changing. Mainly due to the fact you see people signing longer period contracts with larger buyouts. That will restrict coaches from swapping 1 P5 job for another. 

Frost and Jimbo Fisher are 2 examples that come to mind. You also saw some coaches sign longer term extensions during this coaching cycle to solidify where they are. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Xmas32 said:

Those BGSU teams especially the 2002 team were a lot of fun to watch.  The '02 team hung 40+ on almost everyone they played IIRC.

At the time of graduation, Josh Harris was one of only two D1 QBs to have 40 or more rushing TDs and 40 or more passing TDs.