Roy Moore accuser's home burns - arson investigation underway

When Tina Johnson came forward with accusations against Roy Moore several decades after the incidents occurred, people wondered why she didn't come forward sooner. Some scoffed. Some dismissed her accusations based solely on the length of time between alleged actions & going public with accusations.

This kind of thing is why women don't speak up.  There are consequences. 

QtH6rmX.jpg

Roy Moore accuser's Gadsden home burns; arson investigation underway

Roy Moore accuser Tina Johnson lost her home Wednesday in a fire that is now under investigation by the Etowah County Arson Task Force.

Tina Johnson, who first came to public notice for accusing Senate candidate Roy Moore of grabbing her in his office in the early 1990s, said her home on Lake Mary Louise Road in Gadsden caught fire Tuesday morning. 

After neighbors and some utility workers called 911 shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday, the Lookout Mountain Fire Department responded to the scene. By the time the flames were extinguished, Johnson and her family had lost everything they owned. 

"I am devastated, just devastated," said Johnson on Friday morning. "We have just the clothes on our backs."

• Plus1 3

There are very serious consequences. This is obviously one of the worst you could think of. But this was likely in addition to harassment, both in person and online, whether it be messages, voicemails, death threats - much of it anonymous. Obviously the don't know who perpetrated this fire.

It's why it must be so sickening and infuriating for women to marginalized and victim blamed with statements like "Why did they wait so long and come forward right before an election?" 

Even when they take an incredibly difficult step of coming forward & do everything right, they're still subjected to garbage like that, all the harassment & obviously now, risk of losing their home. All due to politics.

In some good Roy Moore news, his original accuser, Leigh Corfman, is filing a defamation lawsuit against him.

I hope they throw the book at him. It would be the ultimate irony for Judge Roy Moore. He's a disgusting sack of crap to lie about women like that. I'm tired of jerks like him and Greg Gianforte lying to advance their own political careers and there being no penalty.

• Plus1 1

We all obviously need to wait to see what the investigation finds.  If it's arson, chances are, it will be found.  However, it's very possible they won't find the person who did it unless that person said something to someone else that then reports it.  I would be surprised if there were any sort of cameras in this area to catch who did it.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Fortunately, I've never had to face a total loss or witnessed first hand people that have.  Although the tornado at Pilger a few years ago was pretty dang close to home.

But I will always remember a story my college Marketing professor told us in class.  He was pretty successful in the private sector before he taught at UNK and had and I'm sure pretty nice home/acreage out in western Nebraska.  He and his wife came home one day and the house was to the ground because of fire.  He then went on to talk about his claim and the stress that went along with it, but at least thought "well, at least everything will be new".  He tried to look at the bright side and as him and his wife went to shop for new furniture for the new house, his wife had a mental breakdown in the middle of the store.  As he finally got her calmed enough to talk, her only words were "I don't have anything to match!".  

Yes, everything is new.  And it is nice to have support.  But this woman and her family are starting with literally nothing as far as personal possessions. 

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Fortunately, I've never had to face a total loss or witnessed first hand people that have.  Although the tornado at Pilger a few years ago was pretty dang close to home.

But I will always remember a story my college Marketing professor told us in class.  He was pretty successful in the private sector before he taught at UNK and had and I'm sure pretty nice home/acreage out in western Nebraska.  He and his wife came home one day and the house was to the ground because of fire.  He then went on to talk about his claim and the stress that went along with it, but at least thought "well, at least everything will be new".  He tried to look at the bright side and as him and his wife went to shop for new furniture for the new house, his wife had a mental breakdown in the middle of the store.  As he finally got her calmed enough to talk, her only words were "I don't have anything to match!".  

Yes, everything is new.  And it is nice to have support.  But this woman and her family are starting with literally nothing as far as personal possessions. 

Not to mention any family heirlooms, photo albums, etc.  Stuff that is essentially priceless and irreplaceable.  Let's hope they catch the perps.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker