3-5 yrs

I am I

Could we play w Bama, Georgia, Clemson, tOSU, Okla?

i see pros all over their fields. 

Will we be there in half a decade? 

We’ll sharpen up, we’ll win more games. But will we have those man-child’s they have ready to play for Conf titles and possibly Natty’s? 

Lets stop the Frost train for a second and be realistic of where we are. We are a ways off, no?

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

I think in year one there will be at least one game against a top 10 opponent that we win.  Being able to do it week after week after week is going to take at least 3 years, but remember that no team is ever more than 1 recruiting cycle away from being the best team in the country.  

Disagree

• Plus1 3

Nebraska doesn't have near the on-field talent of any of the teams in the 2017 CFP. There's a ton of raw potential but Frost and his staff have a long way to go before they're playing anywhere near that level. I think Nebraska is going to have a much easier time competing offensively sooner rather than later, but I look at the defensive guys and wonder if they have the dudes to play at a high level.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Nebraska doesn't have near the on-field talent of any of the teams in the 2017 CFP. There's a ton of raw potential but Frost and his staff have a long way to go before they're playing anywhere near that level. I think Nebraska is going to have a much easier time competing offensively sooner rather than later, but I look at the defensive guys and wonder if they have the dudes to play at a high level.

I firmly believe that if Frost is able to be the coach we all think he can be here, a couple years from now there will be players on this team that everyone looks at and says..."wow....didn't know he could play like that".

• Plus1 1

My hope is to catch Iowa in a year 1 or 2.  Wisconsin in 3-4. Ohio state in 5-6.  It took a while to fall this far down.  Its probably going to take some time to get back.  Plus we have a young coach.  He's probably going to need to time to learn.  None of this takes into account theother programs improving.  I could see osu getting back to elite and wiscy knocking on the door in that time frame.  This is a tough conference. 

Edited by melscott62

I agree that it will be 3-5 years before a conference championship.  I truly think that we will be more competitive in games and we will see a different mind-set right away.  This alone will put Nebraska into the 6-8 wins category, with the possibility of 9.  Won't be surprised to see 7-9 wins as soon as next year.  Realistically, not a conference (or even division) favorite for at least 3-5.

Furthermore, I know that many say that they will take a ton of 3* kids who work hard rather than a bunch of 5*.  As much as I agree with the work ethic portion, I also see all of these 5* kids playing for the top programs.  As a coach, you love the hard nosed, hard working, kids.  They will lay it on the line.  BUT, it takes talent to win championships.  If Frost gets 4* and 5* kids, works them in his philosophy and system, then things happen.  

We need to be able to reel in some big time talent if we want to compete with the likes of the CFP teams.

"Hard work beats talent, if talent doesn't work hard"....... yes,   but "when talent works hard, they are CHAMPIONS !"

I think we have the talent and that it’s been underutilized. But watching these top teams I just don’t see us having a stacked stable of horses like they do...yet

im really confident Frost can get some movement starting this next season and if things go right we can win/upset some good teams. But to just “know” we can compete with the top 5...I think we’re 2-3 yrs away from that. Just simply the eyeball test of the body type and mindset of those players tells me that. 

• Plus1 1

I don't understand all of the negativity here, I know the Huskers have been down for so long it is difficult to get pumped.  This is not Callahan, Pelini or Riley we are talking about here, we actually have the next Saban or Meyer coming in here.  Frost was able to take a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and go from winless to undefeated in two seasons and beat a top ten team in a bowl game (a team that beat both Georgia and Alabama).  He was not only able to coach up his players to beat a team loaded with 3, 4 and 5 star talent but also out coach a good coach (Malzahn) with a championship on his resume.  This team has a lot more talent than UCF had, sure we aren't going to the championship game next season but I don't think it is totally unrealistic to expect too much different than what he was able to accomplish at UCF.  Even with this upcoming seasons tougher schedule, I can still see us winning 3 to 4 more games than this past season and I don't believe I am being unrealistic or drinking koolaid.  

I see us being competitive this year, not next year or a few years down the road, and winning the West in another year.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

I don't understand all of the negativity here, I know the Huskers have been down for so long it is difficult to get pumped.  This is not Callahan, Pelini or Riley we are talking about here, we actually have the next Saban or Meyer coming in here.  Frost was able to take a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and go from winless to undefeated in two seasons and beat a top ten team in a bowl game (a team that beat both Georgia and Alabama).  He was not only able to coach up his players to beat a team loaded with 3, 4 and 5 star talent but also out coach a good coach (Malzahn) with a championship on his resume.  This team has a lot more talent than UCF had, sure we aren't going to the championship game next season but I don't think it is totally unrealistic to expect too much different than what he was able to accomplish at UCF.  Even with this upcoming seasons tougher schedule, I can still see us winning 3 to 4 more games than this past season and I don't believe I am being unrealistic or drinking koolaid.  

I see us being competitive this year, not next year or a few years down the road, and winning the West in another year.

I am as high on Frost as anyone.  His resume and his coaching tree is star-loaded.  But, pump the brakes a little.  First, I think UCF had MORE talent than Nebraska.  UCF would have beaten Nebraska handily.  We do NOT have the speed a WR they have, we do NOT have a "proven" QB with the skill-set they have.  We do not have the speed at LB they have.  UCF played a soft schedule and until the 2nd half (too little, too late) Auburn didn't want to play in that game, didn't respect UCF.  The longer you let a lesser team hang around, the worse your odds.  When 1 team is solely focused for a MONTH and has something to prove and the other is licking it's wounds, things like the Peach Bowl happen.  Yes, UCF defense played well, but their numbers during the season weren't GOOD.  

I am not being negative, but realistic.  This staff isn't loaded with a bunch of "proven" saviors.  One "turn-around" in the American doesn't AUTOMATICALLY translate into a turn-around in the Big 10.  I am not saying it can't and won't be done, but holy cow, I am not also thinking that it is obviously going to happen over night.  Again, I stick with my 3-5 year opinion.

• Plus1 3