3-5 yrs

I am I

14 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Well, I think that particular example had a lot more to do with a guy named Suh than it did with anyone named Pelini. But I agree with the premise that the right coach can effect a huge change in fairly short order and I believe we finally have the right coach. Only took 20 years....

Yep

But also begs the point...Suh wasn’t Suh until Pelini. Amukamara, Dennard, Gomes, Crick, Haag, Asante, O’Hanlon.  All of a sudden we had talent at seemingly every position when a good coach showed up. 

• Plus1 3

The biggest take away I got from the Championship game, was the fact that both teams looked like they had 22 NFL size, and as close to NFL ready starters as you can get. It wouldn't surprise me if all 44 starters from that game get, at the very least, a udfa contract from an nfl team within the next 3 years... I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of them will be drafted within 3 years.

The only way you can compete with that is if you acquire similar type of talent. Can we recruit with the likes of 'Bama, LSU, Georgia, OU, Aub, ? I'm more worried about whether we can recruit to a relatively close level as OSU, Penn St. and Mich. I think Frost is a top-tier coach, and talent will see that and want to come play for him. I'm optimistic we'll be able to consistently compete for the Div. title; thus, be able to compete for conference titles. I unsure if we'll be (realistically) in the hunt for National titles, though. Those top SEC teams just have so much NFL type players; especially on the lines.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, I am I said:

Could we play w Bama, Georgia, Clemson, tOSU, Okla?

i see pros all over their fields. 

Will we be there in half a decade? 

We’ll sharpen up, we’ll win more games. But will we have those man-child’s they have ready to play for Conf titles and possibly Natty’s? 

Lets stop the Frost train for a second and be realistic of where we are. We are a ways off, no?

We could play w Bama, Georgia, Clemson, tOSU, Okla in the 2nd half of next year. UCF did not have better athletes than Nebraska or Auburn this year. IMO, this recruiting class will be better than any of MRs. Taking the entire UCF staff will also be a huge advantage because all the coaches fully understand the system. Frost will not have to spend time teaching assistant coaches, and we will have no assistant coaches that do not fully understand what Frost wants.

11 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

I don't understand all of the negativity here, I know the Huskers have been down for so long it is difficult to get pumped.  This is not Callahan, Pelini or Riley we are talking about here, we actually have the next Saban or Meyer coming in here.  Frost was able to take a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and go from winless to undefeated in two seasons and beat a top ten team in a bowl game (a team that beat both Georgia and Alabama).  He was not only able to coach up his players to beat a team loaded with 3, 4 and 5 star talent but also out coach a good coach (Malzahn) with a championship on his resume.  This team has a lot more talent than UCF had, sure we aren't going to the championship game next season but I don't think it is totally unrealistic to expect too much different than what he was able to accomplish at UCF.  Even with this upcoming seasons tougher schedule, I can still see us winning 3 to 4 more games than this past season and I don't believe I am being unrealistic or drinking koolaid.  

I see us being competitive this year, not next year or a few years down the road, and winning the West in another year.

I don't understand the negativity either. Is is especially puzzling given that so many were so sure MR would bring us conference titles :facepalm:.

• Plus1 1

I think this program can be turned around, and rise from the ashes fairly quickly, now that we have the right staff in place, from the A.D on down. We need to start fielding a hard working, tough team again, that puts maximum effort for all 4 quarters, every game. Develop every player on the team to play at a high level , and find hidden gems like Shaquem Griffin (UCF). (great story!) Get back in the top 25 or top 10 consistently , compete for/win conference championships, and go to a good bowl game every year. Develop NFL talent and put our program back in the national spotlight. Then i think those true 'program changing players" (Bobby Bowden's words) will start committing to the Huskers, and well have a legitimate shot to play for National Championships. That process may take 3 -5 years, or even longer, but i think people will be patient with Frost since hes shown he understands how to build a program , and i  think the ours will start trending upwards quickly.  I really miss the days, when i felt like the Huskers had a real chance to win every time they took the field, and i'm looking forward to having that feeling again. GBR

Edited by Big Red 40
17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Alabama got me thinking about this. Their quarterbacks were highly competent game managers and proven leaders that Saban could plug into the system, but they weren't exactly superstars themselves, and none of them seemed NFL worthy. 

Then Saban decides he might not win with Jalen Hurts —  the two year starter with the 152 QB rating — and dumps him cold at halftime for a flashier freshman. 

Alabama might have won either way, but it's hard to underestimate the singular value of a great QB.

As a San Franciso 49ers fan, I can tell you that me and every Niner fan I know agreed with everything you stated above. Then we got Jimmy Garappolo, and suddenly every lowly player on a below mediocre team started playing out of his head as the Niners went 5-0.

Great post, Guy.

There's definitely a balance there, but lacking a great/elite quarterback means you need to be very good across the board if you want to compete and win at a high level. That's why Alabama is able to do what they do. They've never had what I would consider an 'elite' or even great quarterback during Saban's run. They've had some very good QB's alongside a dominant defense, powerful o-line and talented skill position players.

McKenzie Milton's impact at UCF in 2017 can't be understated. His play and leadership were crucial, perhaps even the most important piece to their whole puzzle. It can completely change the dynamic of a whole team. So, while it is very possible to win at a high level without a great QB (cough Hornibrook), I think it makes your life much more difficult.

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is where I think a lot of Husker fan's views are skewed.  Just because UCF had a better season, doesn't mean they had more talent.  Talent isn't readily seen when a team is poorly coached.

Meaning, I firmly believe that a Nebraska team coached by Frost this year would beat a UCF team coached by Frost.

Part of this comes down to how you interpret the word "talent." Does it mean raw potential (i.e. recruiting rankings), on-field performance or some combination of both? I usually look at it as both. That's why I think UCF was a more talented team than Nebraska in 2017, but Nebraska has undoubtedly recruited at a higher level than UCF so they have more raw potential (IMO).

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Part of this comes down to how you interpret the word "talent." Does it mean raw potential (i.e. recruiting rankings), on-field performance or some combination of both? I usually look at it as both. That's why I think UCF was a more talented team than Nebraska in 2017, but Nebraska has undoubtedly recruited at a higher level than UCF so they have more raw potential (IMO).

I think your definition is flawed.

Talent means, is the player physically and mentally able to play at a certain level.  That's it.

The rest is player development and scheme.  We could have had great DBs and a great DB coach teaching them great technique.  But, if the DC had them in a horrible scheme that made them look bad, does that mean we didn't have good talent at the position?  It Callahan's last year, did Suh not have good talent and then all of a sudden in 2009 he had good talent?

Talent doesn't eb and flow with the coaching that is affecting how the player plays.  Talent is much more stable and based on the player's abilities.

19 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Alabama got me thinking about this. Their quarterbacks were highly competent game managers and proven leaders that Saban could plug into the system, but they weren't exactly superstars themselves, and none of them seemed NFL worthy. 

Then Saban decides he might not win with Jalen Hurts —  the two year starter with the 152 QB rating — and dumps him cold at halftime for a flashier freshman. 

Alabama might have won either way, but it's hard to underestimate the singular value of a great QB.

As a San Franciso 49ers fan, I can tell you that me and every Niner fan I know agreed with everything you stated above. Then we got Jimmy Garappolo, and suddenly every lowly player on a below mediocre team started playing out of his head as the Niners went 5-0.

Couldn't of said it better Guy.  +1

A really good QB is a terrific equalizer.  If one of the QBs that is currently on campus takes to Frost's system quickly (minus Vedral since he's out) Nebraska will turn around rapidly.  If we continue to struggle at the QB spot, it's going to be pretty difficult.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think your definition is flawed.

Talent means, is the player physically and mentally able to play at a certain level.  That's it.

The rest is player development and scheme.  We could have had great DBs and a great DB coach teaching them great technique.  But, if the DC had them in a horrible scheme that made them look bad, does that mean we didn't have good talent at the position?  It Callahan's last year, did Suh not have good talent and then all of a sudden in 2009 he had good talent?

Talent doesn't eb and flow with the coaching that is affecting how the player plays.  Talent is much more stable and based on the player's abilities.

I don't necessarily disagree. Talent, by definition, is a natural aptitude to perform a skill. But, rarely is the word ever used in such a black and white format. Talent is often used to diagnose a team's abilities as a whole.

If Nebraska were to end up winning 9 games next year, a lot of people would call them a "talented" football team. Not a lot of people are looking at Nebraska 2017 and calling them "talented." Yet, the vast majority of this year's team would be responsible for next year's record.

Does that kind of make sense - what I'm getting at? I don't think you're wrong. Inherently, that's how I would also define "talent." I just don't think everybody looks at talent that way or uses the word that way when it comes to football.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't necessarily disagree. Talent, by definition, is a natural aptitude to perform a skill. But, rarely is the word ever used in such a black and white format. Talent is often used to diagnose a team's abilities as a whole.

it is???

I think we are differing on a small but important part to this.

When someone says a team is "talented".  I believe they mean that it has the pieces(players) on the team to put the puzzle (Team) together and succeed.  There have been very talented teams throughout history that have failed.  Texas football is a prime example.  For a long time, they have been an extremely talented team.  But....that success didn't show up on the field because they were poorly coached and bad attitudes towards what it takes to succeed.

Just because Texas hasn't won football games doesn't mean they weren't talented.   They have had some great athletes on that team that were very talented.  

So, the word "talent" is specifically talking about the pieces(players) that are on the team.  Are they physically and mentally able to accomplish what is being asked?  The answer to UT is definitely "YES".  

12 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

The biggest take away I got from the Championship game, was the fact that both teams looked like they had 22 NFL size, and as close to NFL ready starters as you can get. It wouldn't surprise me if all 44 starters from that game get, at the very least, a udfa contract from an nfl team within the next 3 years... I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of them will be drafted within 3 years.

The only way you can compete with that is if you acquire similar type of talent. Can we recruit with the likes of 'Bama, LSU, Georgia, OU, Aub, ? I'm more worried about whether we can recruit to a relatively close level as OSU, Penn St. and Mich. I think Frost is a top-tier coach, and talent will see that and want to come play for him. I'm optimistic we'll be able to consistently compete for the Div. title; thus, be able to compete for conference titles. I unsure if we'll be (realistically) in the hunt for National titles, though. Those top SEC teams just have so much NFL type players; especially on the lines.

I found it interesting when ESPN mentioned that the parents of Alabama's star QB recruit, Tua Tagovailoa, moved from Hawaii to Alabama.  Dad gets a new job, mom gets a new job, family gets a new house, younger brother is playing football in Alabama.  I guess recruiting star players isn't as hard as people think.  Alabama managed to recruit the whole family there.  :D 

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/crimson-tide-qb-tua-tagovailoas-brother-taulia-top-2019-qb-family-moving-alabama

So do we up our recruiting game to compete with the SEC?  I hope not.  Something doesn't pass my smell test.

Edited by InOmaha
  • Plus1 1

When did the star rating thing start. Did Bob D have many 4/5 star players. Did T.O. have many. We were never in the top ten in recruiting that i can remember, that much. I think the coaches on a staff have a lot to do with how the players turn out of course, but also the way the program is run from the top down. Frost is a step ahead of the last three staff's in that he has Moos backing him big time, and T.O. there to get advice from, and he remembers what it took to get to that level, he lived it. The athletic dept never seemed to be all in like it was in the past. T.O. did get us winning again, but once he left, well we know the problems after that. I think it is starting to look like the athletic dept wants to get back to what we were, they have the backing from the top two guys. 3-5 years isn't that much of a wait. Will see better teams on the field from here on out. Just give Frost and his staff time.

GBR!!!