Coaches Asking For Redshirts to Be Able to Play in Up To Four Games

Mavric

Back in May, Fox Sports’ Stewart Mandel first reported the new rule proposal that, if passed, would allow players to play in up to four games during a season without burning their redshirt years. So coaches could save their four-star signees and break them out just in time for bowl games or FCS games, all while preserving four years of eligibility for those players.

“I think that would be pretty intriguing to some of the fan bases,” said AFCA executive director Todd Berry, via Fox Sports. “Which might legitimize some of those bowl games and make them more interesting.”

SB Nation

• Plus1 1

Not sure how I feel about this.

And I really wonder how much this is going to change what coaches do.  IMO, I don't see it changing too much.  Coaches want to win, so they are not just going to play some freshmen who are redshirting just to give them game experience when they are not ready.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not sure how I feel about this.

And I really wonder how much this is going to change what coaches do.  IMO, I don't see it changing too much.  Coaches want to win, so they are not just going to play some freshmen who are redshirting just to give them game experience when they are not ready.

Instantly adds depth to a team though and could bulk up a rotation for part of a season. Especially if they can hold off until late when injuries start to plague teams. It just seems like a nice safety blanket for coaches and also a chance to give some small situational game experience. Even if it is a blowout.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Instantly adds depth to a team though and could bulk up a rotation for part of a season. Especially if they can hold off until late when injuries start to plague teams. It just seems like a nice safety blanket for coaches and also a chance to give some small situational game experience. Even if it is a blowout.

If a guy is good enough to play as a TFr, the vast majority of the time he's going to play.  I don't see coaches holding anyone back.

25 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I guess it sounds intriguing on the surface but this is really just a rule change that will show greater benefit to the "haves" like Bama. Considering we're likely to start recruiting better, I suppose I'm for it.

I'm not so sure about that.  Right now, if Alabama's starting stud RB goes down, they have gobs of talent behind him to fill in without missing much of a beat.

Meanwhile, if a team like Illinois has a stud RB go down, chances are, there would be a big drop off.  Now....assume this happens later in the season and they have a stud RB redshirting.  With this rule change, that doesn't punish the player for coming in those last 4 games and playing...which helps make Illinois more competitive.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

Under this rule the Alabama QB could have redshirted this year and won a national championship for the team.  Seems a little odd.  But so does burning a redshirt for the last game due to someone else's injury.  Maybe just make everyone eligible longer like the 5 to 5 mentioned.

Tua was their backup and played in 9 prior games.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not so sure about that.  Right now, if Alabama's starting stud RB goes down, they have gobs of talent behind him to fill in without missing much of a beat.

Meanwhile, if a team like Illinois has a stud RB go down, chances are, there would be a big drop off.  Now....assume this happens later in the season and they have a stud RB redshirting.  With this rule change, that doesn't punish the player for coming in those last 4 games and playing...which helps make Illinois more competitive.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

I think you convinced me. The Bamas will always have plenty of talent available, this just gives them even more to draw from but would likely show greater needed benefit to teams with less overall talent. It may allow an Illinois to plug a hole of need with a 3 star guy but like usual just let's the Bamas get even deeper with talent.

:bang  Guess I'll have to keep searching for that magic bullet that helps equalize the talent and strip it away from those in the talent rich areas.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting possibility, but how often do you actually see a situation where a team has a good starter but awful depth, yet still redshirts a stud? I think in most situations like that, the freshman would go straight to top backup without redshirting.

• Plus1 1