Coaches Asking For Redshirts to Be Able to Play in Up To Four Games

Mavric

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Interesting possibility, but how often do you actually see a situation where a team has a good starter but awful depth, yet still redshirts a stud? I think in most situations like that, the freshman would go straight to top backup without redshirting.

It wouldn't quite work since he played in 5 games last season but after Bryant went down and Bradley showed up, I would think the coaches wouldn't have played him in either the Illinois or Penn State game, each of which he only had one carry in and he could've still had his redshirt...but then again with the coaches we had, they probably would've still played him and screwed it up.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Interesting possibility, but how often do you actually see a situation where a team has a good starter but awful depth, yet still redshirts a stud? I think in most situations like that, the freshman would go straight to top backup without redshirting.

I think we could point to Nebraska over the last ten years and find issues similar to this.

Was it a year ago where we redshirted a bunch of top linemen recruits only to find late in the year, our line was really banged up and we lacked depth?  The staff didn't pull redshirts off the freshmen because it was so late in the year.

In 2012, when TMart was clearly injured, would the staff have pulled the redshirt off of Carnes late to try to win games?

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have to say, I'm still not totally sold on this change.

I would need to read up more on exactly why the coaches want it.

Off the top of my head, currently the coaches have a really tough decision on some kids on whether to burn their shirt or save it for the next season. We've had dozens examples where the redshirt was burned and then the player had no meaningful plays, so it was a waste. Maybe there are kids who really really want to play during their true freshman year. You could put them in for a few games and maybe they'll see they're not tearing it up against college players and realize it's better to wait.

If we had this change, they wouldn't have to worry about it. If the kid contributed they'd decide it's fine to burn the shirt. If they didn't do a lot in the 4 games, then they would not burn the shirt. This year we could've given Gebbia a chance in the last 4 games if the coaches thought he'd play better than Lee or O'Brien. Or in 2009 we could've put Taylor Martinez in against Iowa State or Texas without taking a year of eligibility away from him. On the other hand our opponents could do the same thing.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Off the top of my head, currently the coaches have a really tough decision on some kids on whether to burn their shirt or save it for the next season. We've had dozens examples where the redshirt was burned and then the player had no meaningful plays, so it was a waste. Maybe there are kids who really really want to play during their true freshman year. You could put them in for a few games and maybe they'll see they're not tearing it up against college players and realize it's better to wait.

If we had this change, they wouldn't have to worry about it. If the kid contributed they'd decide it's fine to burn the shirt. If they didn't do a lot in the 4 games, then they would not burn the shirt. This year we could've given Gebbia a chance in the last 4 games if the coaches thought he'd play better than Lee or O'Brien. Or in 2009 we could've put Taylor Martinez in against Iowa State or Texas without taking a year of eligibility away from him. On the other hand our opponents could do the same thing.

Imagine the effect it would have had on Jordan Stevenson.  He burned his redshirt only to find out he wasn't ready to compete and it screwed up his confidence.  If we could have given him 4 games to find out where he was without losing a whole year just for meaningless action he may have benefited from it and worked harder to improve instead of just giving up. 

57 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That doesn't do much to convince me.  So...just to make the coach's jobs easier.

To me the non-medical redshirt is somewhat an archaic designation, and I agree with those stating to just give players a 5th year. I question what MAJOR advantage 4 games provide.

Perhaps there's some anecdotal evidence where some players, lets say in the past 10 years, made it to the pros by benefiting from that 5th year of playing when that 5th year wasn't due to a medical redshirt. However, it seems like the vast majority of players going pro are doing so with a designation somewhere between redshirt Sophomore and true Senior. Otherwise, the 4 games, on top of a 4-year playing career, are simply extra playing time for the "career" college player.