Ruud on Frost

An article with some great incite into our "new defensive philosophy" from Ruud.  Also a story about Frost from 2002 about helping out Solich.....

Music to my ears.....

Ask Frost, and he’ll tell you he’s a defensive coach at heart, Ruud said.

“He’s like an offensive guru now so I think that’s ship’s sailed, but he really has a passion for defense, especially tackling,” Ruud said. “He likes teaching tackling and he has the whole team do that.”

Ruud expects more of that from Frost in Lincoln, although he said that will likely be the extent of Frost’s input for defensive coordinator Erik Chinander.

“Coach Frost likes talking not only getting off blocks,” Ruud said, “but receivers and DBs, he runs that drill -- block, get off blocks – it’s like the new version of the Oklahoma drill. It’s out in space, but guys are striking each other, getting off blocks.”

Ruud said his coaching philosophy, and that of the Nebraska staff, is simply putting players into a position to succeed. Of utmost importance is finding out where each player fits with his abilities.

“We’re a fundamental defense at heart,” Ruud said. “We’re not a schemer defense. We’re going to win with fundamentals. Teach concepts, and teach guys how to play. I think that’s the key. It’s not an Xs and Os things. It’s about, can you see what you’re supposed to see? Can you play with your proper keys? Can you get off blocks, and can you make tackles? That’s really what it’s about. However you want to do that Xs and Os wise, isn’t as important as can players go and execute and get the job done?”

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211691964

• Plus1 7

18 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Hopefully, Scott Frost will be a savior.  I was worried about Chinander ........ until Peach Bowl.  Can't wait until September 1st !!

AA_NUROCKET.gif

That D in Peach Bowl was very good.  Playing 12 games with no breaks and facing offenses the likes of USF, Memphis (twice) and Navy would wear any D down.  I like the staff and their message across the board.  Unified in concept and culture.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

So, this is possibly the 4th way of tackling these guys have learned? Hope it's the best one!

Anyone have any idea the name of the drill he's referring to??

Unsure what style/technique, but the fact the HC appears to out a priority on it is refreshing.I'm not expecting to play for the conference in year one, but I think see a definitive improvement across the board in not only record, but the "eye ball" test in how we actually perform on the field.

Sept can't get here soon enough.