• Announcements

• Mavric

*NEW* Husker Football Commits - DE Casey Rogers, RB Miles Jones, WR Dominick Watt   01/16/2018

Huskers get a commitments from   Avon, Connecticut Defensive End Casey Rogers Fort Lauderdale, Florida Running Back/Wide Receiver Miles Jones Hollywood, Florida Wide Receiver Dominick Watt   See the 2018 Class   Who's Next?
    • Mavric

The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup   01/17/2018

The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup is now live! Click HERE to read the rules, and look in the Contest Crib for nomination and voting threads throughout the next several weeks.   This is a great opportunity to say "thanks!" to your fellow HuskerBoard members for keeping you informed or entertained throughout the past year. Nominate your favorite HuskerBoard member today!
ajt1970

Carriker Chronicles - Osborne vs. Saban - Who's the Best?

I just had a listen to Adam's latest.  While I agree on his assessment that Osborne is the best, I feel he missed a very important reason for why Osborne was the best. 

Osborne was his own offensive coordinator and playcaller. For 25 years (plus more as an assistant), he called EVERY offensive play, which meant he studied all the film (both of his opponents gamefilm PLUS his own team's practices....which amounted to 30+ hours a week just on this one task alone of film study)....he  formulated gameplans from this - figured out what plays might work and which ones might not, etc. It's a HUGE task for any OC, but to do it as a head coach....for 25 years.....and to be as successful as he was....this is unheard of (in the past or present) and simply an outrageously incredible accomplishment!

He was an Xs and Os genius head coach, not a figurehead. To me, this BY FAR makes him the best coach of all time. He was an ACTIVE PARTICIPANT in all the games, each and every play dialed in - what's the opponent's defense doing?  what's going to work against this defensive front?  Will 42 countersweep work here or should we go with 38 option?   etc.......He was not just standing on the sidelines watching the game like a spectator in the crowd like so many other head coaches (Bryant, Paterno, etc.)

Name one head coach who did what Osborne did...own OC, wore the headset, called every play...AND did all the other typical figurehead head coach duties (handle the press, recruiting, etc.) AND was as successful as he was.....

Answer: NOONE.  Osborne DID IT ALL!   Nobody did anywhere close to all that Osborne did and accomplished. Not even Saban (who wears the headset but is not his own OC and playcaller).  This one major reason (own OC/playcaller for the entire time he was head coach), amongst all the other reasons Adam stated, makes Osborne the greatest coach in college football....and there is not even a close second.

1 hour ago, ajt1970 said:

Name one head coach who did what Osborne did...own OC, wore the headset, called every play...AND did all the other typical figurehead head coach duties (handle the press, recruiting, etc.)

Scott Frost

Scott will have 25 years to better Tom.  I hope he does!!    

And to this Tom sustained excellence for 25 years at a location not in the hot recruiting bed of the the south.  Yes, Saban has won 6 NC but I can think of 3 that Tom

should have won - 2 from ref calls - 82 PSU enlarged field and TD pass no call, FSU Orange bowl- 2 many to list.  The 83 NC was his but being a man of integrity he went for 2. 

Not to mention the many other times where he was one play(darn sooner magic) or one game away from the NC. 

Bama's dynasty has lasted an entire decade and is the most dominant thing we've ever seen in college football. 

You have to give the edge to Saban, although if Tom existed in playoff years or even BCS years it would likely be a different story. Or, if Tom would have stuck around after '97, it would also likely be a different story. Two of Saban's titles have legitimate asterisks as far as being placed in a position to win them, but there's no doubting that those teams were the best teams in the country in their respective years, at least.

If Saban had his run while coaching at Nebraska this wouldn't be up for discussion. I believe Osborne is every bit the coach Saban is, maybe even better, but resumes matter in this discussion. So, it's obviously Saban.

Agree with @Landlord in regard to his point about TO in the BCS/Playoff years and how it would likely change things.  Carriker's article came across like I figured it would being a little homerish.  I personally give a slight nod to Saban due to more MNCs.  I fully admit to some recency bias as I don't remember much Nebraska football prior to the 1993 season.

I don't think his article was homerish at all.  Carriker usually doesn't mince words.  I'll take TO any day of the week.  Saban wasn't in anyone's discussion until he got to Alabama and had the best of the best recruits on his roster every single year.

Edited by suh_fan93

38 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don't think his article was homerish at all.  Carriker usually doesn't mince words.  I'll take TO any day of the week.  Saban wasn't in anyone's discussion until he got to Alabama and had the best of the best recruits on his roster every single year.

Alabama sure as hell didn't have the best of the best when he took over.  Recruiting is part of the job, some might say equal to coaching the team during the season.  Successful college coaches in any sport that hear the argument, "well ya, but look at the players he has" to tear down their accomplishments should laugh at those people.

Who do you think brought those players in to play there?  Such a stupid argument.

edit:  However, I think Tom Osborne may be the greatest coach of any kind in any sport because of the way he did it at Nebraska.  Objectively, Saban will be chosen by many and the argument against him is nearly impossible to win at this point.

Edited by In the Deed the Glory

48 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Alabama sure as hell didn't have the best of the best when he took over.  Recruiting is part of the job, some might say equal to coaching the team during the season.  Successful college coaches in any sport that hear the argument, "well ya, but look at the players he has" to tear down their accomplishments should laugh at those people.

Who do you think brought those players in to play there?  Such a stupid argument.

edit:  However, I think Tom Osborne may be the greatest coach of any kind in any sport because of the way he did it at Nebraska.  Objectively, Saban will be chosen by many and the argument against him is nearly impossible to win at this point.

I guess the same guy that brought those amazing recruiting classes to Michigan State and LSU?  He had no where near the recruiting classes he did at those two schools as he did at Alabama and well it showed.

6 hours ago, ajt1970 said:

I just had a listen to Adam's latest.  While I agree on his assessment that Osborne is the best, I feel he missed a very important reason for why Osborne was the best. 

Osborne was his own offensive coordinator and playcaller. For 25 years (plus more as an assistant), he called EVERY offensive play, which meant he studied all the film (both of his opponents gamefilm PLUS his own team's practices....which amounted to 30+ hours a week just on this one task alone of film study)....he  formulated gameplans from this - figured out what plays might work and which ones might not, etc. It's a HUGE task for any OC, but to do it as a head coach....for 25 years.....and to be as successful as he was....this is unheard of (in the past or present) and simply an outrageously incredible accomplishment!

He was an Xs and Os genius head coach, not a figurehead. To me, this BY FAR makes him the best coach of all time. He was an ACTIVE PARTICIPANT in all the games, each and every play dialed in - what's the opponent's defense doing?  what's going to work against this defensive front?  Will 42 countersweep work here or should we go with 38 option?   etc.......He was not just standing on the sidelines watching the game like a spectator in the crowd like so many other head coaches (Bryant, Paterno, etc.)

Name one head coach who did what Osborne did...own OC, wore the headset, called every play...AND did all the other typical figurehead head coach duties (handle the press, recruiting, etc.) AND was as successful as he was.....

Answer: NOONE.  Osborne DID IT ALL!   Nobody did anywhere close to all that Osborne did and accomplished. Not even Saban (who wears the headset but is not his own OC and playcaller).  This one major reason (own OC/playcaller for the entire time he was head coach), amongst all the other reasons Adam stated, makes Osborne the greatest coach in college football....and there is not even a close second.

And TO drove the bus to away games didn't he? :D

Just imagine how many more MNCs TO would have won if he had the advantages of Saban - twice MNC when he did not even win his own division!

Settle it on the field. Saban and TO met twice, and TO curb stomped Saban both times.  Saban called his players quitters in a rant after the game.

33 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I guess the same guy that brought those amazing recruiting classes to Michigan State and LSU?  He had no where near the recruiting classes he did at those two schools as he did at Alabama and well it showed.

You mean like when he won the National Championship at LSU?

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Bama's dynasty has lasted an entire decade and is the most dominant thing we've ever seen in modern college football. 

You have to give the edge to Saban, although if Tom existed in playoff years or even BCS years it would likely be a different story. Or, if Tom would have stuck around after '97, it would also likely be a different story. Two of Saban's titles have legitimate asterisks as far as being placed in a position to win them, but there's no doubting that those teams were the best teams in the country in their respective years, at least.

I added the word "modern" to your post.  Bud Wilkenson (?spelling?) when he was the coach of Oklahoma back in the 1950's had a dominant run extremely similar to what Saban has accomplished.

To the point of this thread: Hands down Nick Saban is the best.  (Gawd I just threw up a little.)  Maybe if Tom Osborne had stuck around and coached another 10-15 years the outcome would be different.  

Saban has 6 (?or 7?) national championships.  He has 1 NC from LSU and 5 or 6 from Alabama.  Tom Osborne has 3.  

And let's not forget one other point: Nick Saban, for all the times his teams have played for a national title, he's only lost once to my recollection.  To have an overall record of 6-1 in national championship games is borderline godlike.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

You mean like when he won the Co National Championship at LSU?

I added the bolded part for you.  USC remained #1 in the AP poll that year.  This was also the same year that LSU lost to unranked Florida.

Edited by suh_fan93

5 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Saban was obviously in people's discussions at LSU, and even at MSU. He doesn't get hired at LSU without being an impressive up and comer, and he doesn't get hired for an NFL head coaching job, or win a national championship, without being in plenty of discussions at LSU.

Regardless of that, recruiting is part of the overall package of being a head coach. He came into Bama when they had averaged 6.5 wins over the previous four years, and he turned that program around. Tom Osborne took over a juggernaut that was one year removed from a national championship. It's not Saban's fault he had to work his way up while Osborne was gifted the keys to the biggest kingdom from day one.

@B.B. Hemingway nailed it. Imagine Saban as Nebraska's coach and Osborne as Alabama's coach, and see if you would still think Osborne was better. The answer is you wouldn't, even for a second. 

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I really don't see how that's relevant at all, but in the sake of context and data, Saban's recruiting classes at LSU were ranked #2, #21,  #3, and #4.

4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Settle it on the field. Saban and TO met twice, and TO curb stomped Saban both times.  Saban called his players quitters in a rant after the game.

When Bob Devaney was at Wyoming he went 0-2 against Ben Martin at Air Force. So I guess Ben Martin, who went 96-103 in 20 seasons at Air Force, is better than two time national champion Bob Devaney?

Bottom line is Saban (at Bama, a blue blood, and the closest comparison as far as opportunity) has a better win percentage, more national championships in a shorter time frame, averages 1 conference championship per every 2.2 years (Osborne 1 per every 2.1, but with a huge disclaimer that includes co/shared championships), has been the dominant coach that everyone fears and that has completely changed the landscape of the entire sport. Osborne went 1-9 against Oklahoma in his first 9 seasons. 

For the record, I would take Osborne over Saban every time, because of the intangibles, the integrity, the attitude and the ethic he brought to his craft. But if you're going by metrics, there's not an argument to be found other than Osborne did it longer.

Edited by Landlord

Few things to consider in this is that everyone needs to look at the whole resume. Osborne held consistent success competing at a high level for 25 years and he retired relatively early. He retired when he has his team humming at an all time high- the difference is now that Saban has his team humming at an all time high he is continuing to go. If Tom didnt retire how many more titles would they have won in the next 5-10? Saban's early career had some 5 and 6 win seasons. So its a tough discussion- Saban's low's have been lower than Osborne's. Also Saban has not been at a high level for 25 years. Also the elite level Saban is at right now he has been doing for 8 years or so- Tom was there for 5 years then retired- I would tend to believe Husker Train would have kept rolling with Tom at the helm. Recruiting would have kept going- Tom was a much better play caller etc.

Saban no discussion. Saban will be called the greatest of all time when he hangs it up and any arguments to the contrary will be homer picks. Osborne is on Mt. Rushmore but Sabans rings can't be argued with.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Saban no discussion. Saban will be called the greatest of all time when he hangs it up and any arguments to the contrary will be homer picks. Osborne is on Mt. Rushmore but Sabans rings can't be argued with.

I dont dispute around the country it will be all Saban. My only point is Osborne hung it up in his prime at age 60. Saban is 66 now. If Saban retired in his prime like osborne did 6 years ago he would have 3 less titles to his name. Just saying there is a good argument that osborne would have added to his resume if he didnt hang it up so early. 

Kind of like Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith. If Sanders wouldnt have retired Smith would have never come close to all time yards. 

I have to agree with the prevailing thought here - Saban will go down as the better coach and the résumés matter in this discussion. Six national championships, seven appearances and all within the last ~15 years. The dude is phenomenal.

Two points worth noting, though. First, I think TO accomplished a lot with less natural advantages. TO recruited at a pretty high level but, had recruiting rankings been around at the time, he would not have been pulling in #1 classes year after year.

Second, for how great Saban has been (and he truly has been great), there isn't a single Alabama team he's produced that I would put in the conversation of 'best team of all time.' He's had some great and powerful teams, but you don't often see people comparing them to the '05 Longhorns, '01 Canes, '95 Huskers, etc. I don't know if this is necessarily a detriment or something negative about Saban, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont dispute around the country it will be all Saban. My only point is Osborne hung it up in his prime at age 60. Saban is 66 now. If Saban retired in his prime like osborne did 6 years ago he would have 3 less titles to his name. Just saying there is a good argument that osborne would have added to his resume if he didnt hang it up so early. 

Kind of like Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith. If Sanders wouldnt have retired Smith would have never come close to all time yards. 

As time goes on that will matter less and less. He didn"t keep going plain and simple. He could have and it likely would have made this a better argument, but you can't make these distinctions on what could have been. If we are owners picking teams starting with a head coach I would pick Osborne. Doesn't mean he had a better career.

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

As time goes on that will matter less and less. He didn"t keep going plain and simple. He could have and it likely would have made this a better argument, but you can't make these distinctions on what could have been. If we are owners picking teams starting with a head coach I would pick Osborne. Doesn't mean he had a better career.

Is everyone considering his so so first half of his career? I know the last half has been phenomenal. But he was just ok his first half. 

Osborne was pretty phenomenal for 25 years. Competed for national titles in 3 decades. His team was a top 10 caliber team for 25 years. 

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is everyone considering his so so first half of his career? I know the last half has been phenomenal. But he was just ok his first half. 

Osborne was pretty phenomenal for 25 years. Competed for national titles in 3 decades. His team was a top 10 caliber team for 25 years. 

Saban won his first National title in year 8. Osborne year 20 after taking over an already elite team. So so first half of his career? He turned around a terrible MSU program under NCAA sanctions and went 9-2 in year 4 after MSU hadn't had a winning season for 5 straight years prior to his arrival. Won a CC in year 2 at LSU and a NC in year 4. Had Alabama rolling in year 2. He has been a great college coach everywhere he has been. 

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Two points worth noting, though. First, I think TO accomplished a lot with less natural advantages. TO recruited at a pretty high level but, had recruiting rankings been around at the time, he would not have been pulling in #1 classes year after year.

This.  Exactly the point I have always made and what Carriker says also.  

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

This.  Exactly the point I have always made and what Carriker says also.  

TO with Alabama's location and recruitment pool would've been a scary, scary force. That's not to downplay the work Saban has done - bad coaches have come through Alabama and failed to succeed with that talent. But, it certainly doesn't hurt Saban's ceiling.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

TO with Alabama's location and recruitment pool would've been a scary, scary force. That's not to downplay the work Saban has done - bad coaches have come through Alabama and failed to succeed with that talent. But, it certainly doesn't hurt Saban's ceiling.

TO had to develop players.  He had good recruiting classes but nothing like the Bama's, Ohio States and Georgia's of now pull in every single year.  He was also an excellent strategist/game planner too I might add. 

Again I'll take TO all day....

How many times did Osborne’s teams finish the season in the top 4? Putting them in the 4 team playoff. Obviously using the most important part of today’s system being the 4 team playoff. How many times would’ve Alabama been denied even a chance to play for the title using the old conference affiliated bowl system were it still in place today? 

Edited by RedRedJarvisRedwine

Unfortunately for me the answer is Saban.

It is amazing how well Saban has been able to sustain his success with losing so many of this assistant coaches over the years. It would be interesting to see how TO would handle today's environment and recruiting. He wouldn't be able to do it all like the OP said in today's game. 

Saban has a better run going, but he just seems so blah.  Alabama is like a brute force team deep enough to plow through a 4 team playoff if he can politic their way in on the years they don't win the head to head.  He's not really an innovative coach.  The best strategic coaching I've seen out of him to date is pulling Jalen Hurts for the second half of the last game.  Nobody really talks about Alabama's innovation on either side of the ball; just how good of players they have.  They expect to win then line up and beat you down until they win.  Unless they don't.

Osborne won with a brute force wear the other guy down plan too.  It would have been interesting if he could have gotten into a playoff system with more of his 1 loss teams.   I think more games and a playoff system would have greatly benefited the physical Nebraska teams chances of finishing on top.  As mentioned, at least Osborne called his own games and on top of it he had to finish undefeated to have any chance of winning a championship.  Given that simple criteria, Saban would have 1 championship at Alabama.

I think there are better football minds out there then Saban.  He's smart enough to hire them.  :D 

How many NT did Osborne get with losses on the resume? This can't be ignored. Back then, a single loss was the end of the line for that season. Place asterisks beside many Saban titles. Yet the only one you could argue of Osborne's was the split with michigan but they were still undefeated. 

My issue with Saban is that his teams have been given preferential treatment. It's not as though the debate has been "should Saban's team be awarded the championship," it was "should his team even be competing for it?"

9 minutes ago, irafreak said:

How many NT did Osborne get with losses on the resume? This can't be ignored. Back then, a single loss was the end of the line for that season.

Conversely, that's because they weren't usually playing a large handful of huge stakes games against top ranked opponents every year.

Look at 2009 Alabama for example. They beat #10 Virginia Tech, #20 Ole Miss, #17 LSU, #3 Florida, and #1 Texas. They also played 5 more teams with at least 7 wins. That's a gauntlet.

Look at 1982 Nebraska for comparison. They played #1 Penn State, #14 Auburn, #16 Oklahoma, and #11 LSU. The only other team they played with a winning record was Iowa, everyone else had 2/3/4/5 wins.

19 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

He still won a NC at the bolded.  Who do you suppose recruited the upperclassmen on the 2007 LSU NC team?

31 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

He still won a NC at the bolded.  Who do you suppose recruited the upperclassmen on the 2007 LSU NC team?

Probably the same guy who's team lost to an unranked team the year they split with USC? Hmm....

Edited by suh_fan93

7 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Probably the same guy who's team lost to an unranked team the year they split with USC? Hmm....

If we're dismissing shared titles, then it's Saban with 5, and Osborne with 2.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Conversely, that's because they weren't usually playing a large handful of huge stakes games against top ranked opponents every year.

Look at 2009 Alabama for example. They beat #10 Virginia Tech, #20 Ole Miss, #17 LSU, #3 Florida, and #1 Texas. They also played 5 more teams with at least 7 wins. That's a gauntlet.

Look at 1982 Nebraska for comparison. They played #1 Penn State, #14 Auburn, #16 Oklahoma, and #11 LSU. The only other team they played with a winning record was Iowa, everyone else had 2/3/4/5 wins.

So you chose the most impressive season of Saban's to compare with an average season of Osborne's.

I hear the points everyone is making.  However,  I was more pointing out the fact that Osborne did it all....what I would call a Supercoach.  He was not just a figurehead or a non-active participant in games like a lot of the old coaches from back in the day who didnt even wear a headset and stay connected to what was actually going on during the game...x's and o's-wise.  Think of Bear Bryant, Paterno, Bowden, Switzer, Woody Hayes, etc.  Especially Bear Bryant who always gets the accolades of being some great supercoach of all time.  My opinion, if you dont have a headset on, you shouldnt even be considered to be the best of all time. You're just not dialed in enough to now what is happening on each and every play.  Sure, If the decision needs to be made to go for it on fourth down, ask Bear.  Other than that, he's not actively involved.

Which brings me to Osborne and Saban.  Yes, they both have headsets on, but Osborne was his own OC and playcaller.  Saban is not.  Saban delegates that responsibility to other coaches.  Doesnt mean Saban is not offering input into what plays should be called (he does have a headset on and uses it...unlike Mike Riley who never seemed to say anything in his headset to his assistant coaches)......I'm sure he is....but Saban is not the one sticking his neck out and making all the playcall decisions.  Osborne was.  He was dialed in.  This is the point I was making as far as comparing coaches.  Track record speaks loudly, of course, but HOW they did it speaks just as loud, in my opinion.  And nobody did it like Osborne did it. 

Seriously, just think about it......what head coach EVER ...besides Osborne...was his own OC (or defensive coordinator for that matter) over the ENTIRE time of his head coaching years?..... AND add on top of that how successful Osborne was in doing so (over a lng period of time, and very successfully)......it is just simply way beyond amazing...and no other coach can compare. 

Ask the question ....who was their own OC or DC for their ENTIRE head coaching career over a long period of time?  I am genuinely interested if anyone can think of somebody who was anywhere near as successful over a long period of time while doing both roles as head coach and OC/DC.

Doing more things than another coach doesn't make you a better coach. Achieving greater results is what makes you a better coach. 

If Saban had 10 national championships, and Osborne had 1, I don't care if Osborne was the waterboy, tutor, strength coach, nutritionist, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, recruiting coordinator, and even played quarterback. Saban would be better.

30 minutes ago, irafreak said:

So you chose the most impressive season of Saban's to compare with an average season of Osborne's.

I honestly just picked one at random. Let's compare different years

2015 Bama - played #21 Wisconsin, #9 Ole Miss, #24 Georgia, #23 Tennessee, #17 LSU, #25 Florida, #6 Michigan State, #2 Clemson. Three of those were postseason games, and played an additional 5 teams with 7 or more wins.

1995 Nebraska - played #6 Kansas State, #4 Colorado, #10 Kansas, #3 Florida. One postseason game. Nobody else they played had a winning record.

I'm sure there are years Osborne had that were harder, but reality is that a 'normal' cfb schedule in the 70's-90's included at most 3-4 ranked teams and one postseason game. A 'normal' cfb schedule these days includes 4-5 ranked teams, no chance at co-championships, and up to three postseason games. I'm not saying that makes Saban better, but the original argument was that Saban wasn't as good because his teams don't go undefeated, and there's a realistic reason why. 

Edited by Landlord

I would dismiss any ranked SEC team that Alabama has played.  They have teams that are 8-5 and still ranked in the top 25.  To me, this is a joke. 

My take...

Saban has created a more dominant dynasty than Osborne. Depending on how long he continues @ 'Bama, he will likely create a longer lasting dynasty as the top dog in CFB (if he hasn't already).

However, What Osborne did is more impressive than what Saban has done. Putting together top recruiting classes at Neb. is exponentially harder than putting together a top class at Alabama. Developing the talent that Osborne received out of high school and putting together championship contenders was probably a more difficult job that turning Saban's recruiting classes into championship contenders.

An argument for Saban, though; he put together a 26-game win streak; which (most likely) was a tougher 26-game stretch than Osborne's 26-game stretch unbeaten. (This is a difficult argument to make, though).

It's my opinion that putting together top classes at Nebraska in the 70's and 80's is not exponentially more difficult than putting together top classes at Bama in the 2010's. There were no conference tv networks, no social media, no parity of facilities or strength and conditioning, etc. Nebraska had huge advantages over almost anyone through most of Osborne's career.

I certainly don't think it was as easy, but I'd (anecdotally) say if Saban has 100% ease of recruiting, Osborne had 80-85% ease.

Edited by Landlord

Saban has also done it in the best division of the best conference in football over the years he's been there.  Nebraska only had to deal with Oklahoma for most of Osborne's years and Switzer was 12-5 against Osborne.  Osborne was also 12-13 in bowl games.  Also, Saban's not done.  

When you look at composure, overall outlook on life, integrity, no sensible  human would take Saban over Osborne.  When you look JUST at coaching prowess, well Osborne accomplished amazing things at LINCOLN NE.  

This is something Saban would never agree to try.  

So yes, all around Tom Osborne is the winner here.  

In Alabama, and Louisiana there are flurries of 5-star, 330 lb football players.

In Nebraska there are just flurries.

13 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's my opinion that putting together top classes at Nebraska in the 70's and 80's is not exponentially more difficult than putting together top classes at Bama in the 2010's. There were no conference tv networks, no social media, no parity of facilities or strength and conditioning, etc. Nebraska had huge advantages over almost anyone through most of Osborne's career.

I certainly don't think it was as easy, but I'd (anecdotally) say if Saban has 100% ease of recruiting, Osborne had 80-85% ease.

Also back in those days there was no recruiting services or hudl film. The teams had to do the dirty work to evaluate talent on their own. Much harder to find the talent. No one put together a list of the top 200 elite players on a silver platter