Carriker Chronicles - Osborne vs. Saban - Who's the Best?

ajt1970

It's my opinion that putting together top classes at Nebraska in the 70's and 80's is not exponentially more difficult than putting together top classes at Bama in the 2010's. There were no conference tv networks, no social media, no parity of facilities or strength and conditioning, etc. Nebraska had huge advantages over almost anyone through most of Osborne's career.

I certainly don't think it was as easy, but I'd (anecdotally) say if Saban has 100% ease of recruiting, Osborne had 80-85% ease.

Edited by Landlord

When you look at composure, overall outlook on life, integrity, no sensible  human would take Saban over Osborne.  When you look JUST at coaching prowess, well Osborne accomplished amazing things at LINCOLN NE.  

This is something Saban would never agree to try.  

So yes, all around Tom Osborne is the winner here.  

In Alabama, and Louisiana there are flurries of 5-star, 330 lb football players.

In Nebraska there are just flurries.

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's my opinion that putting together top classes at Nebraska in the 70's and 80's is not exponentially more difficult than putting together top classes at Bama in the 2010's. There were no conference tv networks, no social media, no parity of facilities or strength and conditioning, etc. Nebraska had huge advantages over almost anyone through most of Osborne's career.

I certainly don't think it was as easy, but I'd (anecdotally) say if Saban has 100% ease of recruiting, Osborne had 80-85% ease.

Also back in those days there was no recruiting services or hudl film. The teams had to do the dirty work to evaluate talent on their own. Much harder to find the talent. No one put together a list of the top 200 elite players on a silver platter 

Just now, jaws said:

It is hard to compare teams, players, and coaches in different eras. Different demographics and different rules. 

I agree. One could say it was tougher to beat another traditional power in the old days than it is now. Most of the talent went to a handful of teams. So the power teams were better with more depth than they are now. Outside of bama which has depth stockpiled like the old days. Where most teams depth can't compare because of the parity of today 

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also back in those days there was no recruiting services or hudl film. The teams had to do the dirty work to evaluate talent on their own. Much harder to find the talent. No one put together a list of the top 200 elite players on a silver platter 

Saban isn't the only one that has all these advantages. The competition for the best is greater now than it was before and with the scholarship limits it is harder to stockpile talent. 

Just now, jaws said:

Saban isn't the only one that has all these advantages. The competition for the best is greater now than it was before and with the scholarship limits it is harder to stockpile talent. 

One difference is sec over signs then takes scholarships away to pad roster. Nebraska and big ten mostly honor our scholarships to kids 

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

One difference is sec over signs then takes scholarships away to pad roster. Nebraska and big ten mostly honor our scholarships to kids 

Sure but they all do it.

Saban and TO can both be great coaches. I tend to think most here will lean towards TO even if Saban wins the next 4 championships. I am fine with that. 

On 1/11/2018 at 4:47 PM, suh_fan93 said:

I don't think his article was homerish at all.  Carriker usually doesn't mince words.  I'll take TO any day of the week.  Saban wasn't in anyone's discussion until he got to Alabama and had the best of the best recruits on his roster every single year.

To be fair, Tom Osborne wasn't in anyone's discussion until the last five years of his 25 year career.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

To be fair, Tom Osborne wasn't in anyone's discussion until the last five years of his 25 year career.

I couldn't disagree more.  They said/the book on Osborne was that he 'couldn't win the big one' but TO was definitely known and well respected by both fans and coaches imo before the national championships.

• Plus1 1
Just now, suh_fan93 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  They said/the book on Osborne was that he 'couldn't win the big one' but TO was definitely known and well respected by both fans and coaches imo before the national championships.

Yeah, and in an argument for the greatest coach ever, someone who can't win the big one is certainly not a candidate. That's what Guy is referring to - Tom wasn't in any GOAT discussions for the first 20 years of his 25 year head coaching career.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, and in an argument for the greatest coach ever, someone who can't win the big one is certainly not a candidate. That's what Guy is referring to - Tom wasn't in any GOAT discussions for the first 20 years of his 25 year head coaching career.

The funny thing is when I originally said this about Saban it had nothing to do with any GOAT discussion.  It also doesn't change the fact that I'll go with TO all damn day.

The end.

13 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

The funny thing is when I originally said this about Saban it had nothing to do with any GOAT discussion.  It also doesn't change the fact that I'll go with TO all damn day.

The end.

Damn.  I was going to reply but now it's at the end.  I better up my BBS skills.