Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Mavric

      *NEW* Husker Football Commits - DE Casey Rogers, RB Miles Jones, WR Dominick Watt   01/16/2018

      Huskers get a commitments from   Avon, Connecticut Defensive End Casey Rogers Fort Lauderdale, Florida Running Back/Wide Receiver Miles Jones Hollywood, Florida Wide Receiver Dominick Watt   See the 2018 Class   Who's Next?
    • Mavric

      The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup   01/17/2018

      The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup is now live! Click HERE to read the rules, and look in the Contest Crib for nomination and voting threads throughout the next several weeks.   This is a great opportunity to say "thanks!" to your fellow HuskerBoard members for keeping you informed or entertained throughout the past year. Nominate your favorite HuskerBoard member today!

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

t's more advantageous for Jordy to transfer now because it moves up the timetable in which he'd be able to play next year. 

 

Yeah....great.  What a team player.

 

See ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

 

It's more advantageous for Jordy to transfer now because it moves up the timetable in which he'd be able to play next year. 

Actually it's not.  He has attended classes and played in a game in the 2nd semester.  He will not be eligible for the second semester wherever he goes (if he goes).  He would end up sitting a year and a half before being able to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I like Miles, but how do you lose 4 players within a year? Morrow, Jacobson, Horne and now Jordy. Not even counting Fuller since I feel he was just looking for PT and wasn't good enough for a B10 program. 

 

Part of it is the nature of CBB.  Not saying 4 isn’t excessive, but (I think when we discussed this last year) teams on average lose about 2 players/year on transfers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Yeah....great.  What a team player.

 

See ya.

 

2 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Actually it's not.  He has attended classes and played in a game in the 2nd semester.  He will not be eligible for the second semester wherever he goes (if he goes).  He would end up sitting a year and a half before being able to play.

 

I stand corrected. Absolute stupid timing, then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Actually it's not.  He has attended classes and played in a game in the 2nd semester.  He will not be eligible for the second semester wherever he goes (if he goes).  He would end up sitting a year and a half before being able to play.

 

Well, I guess he will have time to get in the weight room and the gym to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Well, I guess he will have time to get in the weight room and the gym to improve.

I guess there are a couple of benefits to leaving now, he could get to know and practice with his new team.  The NCAA could always give him a waiver (like they did for Copeland), but counting on the NCAA to do anything specific is like trying to herd cats.  Short of a waiver, he wouldn't be eligible until the 19/20 season, but would have 2 years of eligibility left.  Even if he stays, I think a redshirt year could do wonders for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t remember the excuses for Miles when Petteway turned pro, but I don’t see how this is a similar situation.  That 2015 season was a complete mess and the entire team and coaches were disfunctional. This year, all I hear about the team is how cohesive and together the players are.  Then when there is one player that isn’t on the same page with the players and the coach, it’s the coach’s fault? This Jordy situation is totally different. He’s not playing well, so he’s just looking to get out of here.  I don’t see how that is Miles’ fault. 

 

Pretty sure that Jordy's mother doesn't have terminal cancer, so I don't believe it's anywhere close to being a similar situation. 

 

And IIRC, wasn't Petteway staying in school at the request of his mother, who passed on during his Junior season? I could image that would have a significant impact on a young man...both in a positive and negative sense.

 

Just saying that Petteway may have had bigger concerns than Miles' instructions and ability (or lack thereof, depending on viewpoint) to coach him up weighing on him then...which makes this a completely different set of circumstances than Jordy's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/late-rally-falls-short-in-76-74-ot-loss-at-penn-st-

Quote

1. No update on Tshimanga's future with Nebraska

 

Before the game, Miles gave the latest on Tshimanga’s status with Nebraska.

 

Tshimanga did not travel with the Huskers to State College, Pa., and is rumored to be considering a mid-year transfer. He’s reportedly unhappy with his role this season and his development over the past season and a half.

 

In an interview with Kent Pavelka on the Husker Sports Network, Miles was asked about Tshimanga’s situation as things stand right now.

 

“He’s just trying to figure some things out on his own,” Miles said. “It’s an unfortunate situation. I don’t know how it’s going to play out, but at this time Jordy has my full support. He’s a great kid; his family are good people, so we’re dealing with everything you could imagine to be dealing with right now.

 

“We’ll hopefully have a resolution soon.”

 

Then Miles was asked if Tshimanga’s situation had been a distraction to Nebraska’s players as they try to get ready for an important Big Ten road game.

 

“I think guys are bummed out, disappointed, whatever, but they got to work,” Miles said. “It’s probably more of a distraction for Kenya (Hunter) and I and the assistants. But at the same time, I don’t think it’s much of a distraction for the players.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 9:07 AM, gobiggergoredder said:

That’s a great theory and all, but it falls along the same lines as Callahan didn’t coach Joe Dailey into being a better passer.

 

He was a project (risk) when they took him and it’s going no where.  If Jordy goes somewhere else, he will never be heard from again.

This in a nut shell. To those whining that Tim Miles let a budding all Big 10 player (Jordy) slip out the back door are as delusional as ever.  Of the 4 kids who left last year only one of those would be playing significant minutes this year.  Horne wasn't ever going to play defense.  Fuller wasn't a Big 10 player.  Jacobson had a few good games as a Husker and always hustled but he wasn't going to be good enough at the 4 to play here this year.  Morrow would have been a decent addition to this years team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 9:26 AM, Red Five said:

 

Part of it is the nature of CBB.  Not saying 4 isn’t excessive, but (I think when we discussed this last year) teams on average lose about 2 players/year on transfers.

Miles averages more then that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/tshimanga-not-practicing-future-at-nu-remains-unclear

 

Quote

As Nebraska took the court on Sunday for its second practice since an overtime loss at Penn State, sophomore center Jordy Tshimanga was again nowhere to be found.

 

Since approaching head coach Tim Miles on Thursday - the day NU was scheduled to leave for State College, Pa. - about his desire to transfer due to frustrations over his season and role on the team, Tshimanga has now missed one game and the past two practices.

 

Miles gave the latest update on Sunday on where Tshimanga - who had started the first 18 games this season - stood regarding his future with the Huskers.

 

“I expect to meet Jordy Tshimanga at some point today or tomorrow and just get more clarification as to where he’s at,” Miles said. “Really, that’s all I can tell you for now. When this all irons itself out, we’ll be able to kind of complete the picture for you.”

 

Before Nebraska took on Penn State, Miles said on his pre-game radio show that he didn’t think the situation with Tshimanga would be a major distraction for the rest of his team.

 

After the Huskers were able to erase a 16-point second-half deficit before eventually falling in overtime to the Nittany Lions, Miles said he still didn't think the issue was something that would overly impact the players once they stepped on the court.

 

“I don’t think so,” Miles said. “Why we came out slow against Penn State? I’m not positive if that had an effect or not. It could’ve, but I wouldn’t say largely that it had a huge impact. Once you’re in the game and you’re in the battle, you just kind of take it as it goes.

 

“But I haven’t seen a lot of distraction that way. Probably more for the coaches than anybody.”

 

That said, Miles admitted he was blindsided by the potential transfer request of a player he had stuck with and supported all season despite a significant regression in his performance.

 

“I was really stunned,” Miles said. “We’ll see, though. I have not had a face-to-face with him since, so I look forward to sitting down with him again and seeing what’s going on. I know he’s incredibly frustrated with just everything, and he’s feeling like he’s not playing well. We’ve just got to see where he’s at.

 

“I’m a guy that if he needs to go, then I’m going support him, because I don’t have any ill will for a guy like Jordy. He’s a sweetheart. He lights people’s eyes up. He and (Isaiah) Roby, and get so many emails about those two guys and how they are in the airport or meeting a young kid at a tailgating thing or whatever it might be.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

 

yea... that's not really an excuse to miss 3 practices and a game. if miles does let him back he should be suspended for at least 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could easily jump on the "hate on Jordy if he decides to stay" but lets remember he is a young kid who probably had dreams of being a big time player and maybe thats how they sold him on coming to Nebraska.

 

The team is playing great but he is option like 7-8.. family is in town and he remembers how much he misses them.. starts being told how great he could be with other coaches, it snowballs and because he is 19 he makes a rash decision and tells the coach he is leaving.

 

After the dust settles, Jordy hears from teammates and coaches and realizes how much he does like it here and that this is a dumb move.. takes a deep breath and realizes he might be making an uneducated decision.

 

Before we jump all over Jordy, remember that Tanner Borchardt left the team.. He was welcomed back and even earned a scholarship.... We all make rash decisions when frustrated but if Jordy does decide to stay, he does need to earn back what he has lost with his teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I could easily jump on the "hate on Jordy if he decides to stay" but lets remember he is a young kid who probably had dreams of being a big time player and maybe thats how they sold him on coming to Nebraska.

 

The team is playing great but he is option like 7-8.. family is in town and he remembers how much he misses them.. starts being told how great he could be with other coaches, it snowballs and because he is 19 he makes a rash decision and tells the coach he is leaving.

 

After the dust settles, Jordy hears from teammates and coaches and realizes how much he does like it here and that this is a dumb move.. takes a deep breath and realizes he might be making an uneducated decision.

 

Before we jump all over Jordy, remember that Tanner Borchardt left the team.. He was welcomed back and even earned a scholarship.... We all make rash decisions when frustrated but if Jordy does decide to stay, he does need to earn back what he has lost with his teammates.

He is not going to be a big time player. He'll be lucky to find time on some podunk Euro team.  I thought he was on the uptick when he made good strides at the end of last year. He learned to be less stiff and more fluid in his play, but he looks really, really stiff this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, C N Red said:

He is not going to be a big time player. He'll be lucky to find time on some podunk Euro team.  I thought he was on the uptick when he made good strides at the end of last year. He learned to be less stiff and more fluid in his play, but he looks really, really stiff this year.

Read the whole post next time. I said he had dreams of being a big time player and he still probably does.

 

I dont blame him for wanting to find a way to achieve that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Read the whole post next time. I said he had dreams of being a big time player and he still probably does.

 

I dont blame him for wanting to find a way to achieve that.

I did read the whole post and said what I wanted to. I said he isn't going to be a great player. Not sure what your problem is.

Edited by C N Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Before we jump all over Jordy, remember that Tanner Borchardt left the team.. He was welcomed back and even earned a scholarship....

 

Let's not get into claiming these are anywhere close to an equivalent situation.  Tanner came to college believing he didn't want to play sports anymore.  He decided to go to a tryout and actually was accepted on the team as a walk on.  After his first season of not getting any playing time, he decided he didn't want to play anymore and left. Again, he changed his mind and came back.  This didn't create any in season drama or affect the starting lineup of the team.

 

Now....Jordy on the other hand, comes in as a scholarship player, starts all 18 games and then decides he doesn't like it and leaves in the middle of the season, leaving his team without starter when trying to make it to the tournament.  

 

HUGE difference here.

 

If Jordy had done this in April, nobody would be talking about it much.

Edited by BigRedBuster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C N Red said:

I did read the whole post and said what I wanted to. I said he isn't going to be a great player. Not sure what your problem is.

Was confused why you were quoting my post unless you were claiming I thought he was a good player. 

 

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Let's not get into claiming these are anywhere close to an equivalent situation.  Tanner came to college believing he didn't want to play sports anymore.  He decided to go to a tryout and actually was accepted on the team as a walk on.  After his first season of not getting any playing time, he decided he didn't want to play anymore and left. Again, he changed his mind and came back.  This didn't create any in season drama or affect the starting lineup of the team.

 

Now....Jordy on the other hand, comes in as a scholarship player, starts all 18 games and then decides he doesn't like it and leaves in the middle of the season, leaving his team without starter when trying to make it to the tournament.  

 

HUGE difference here.

 

If Jordy had done this in April, nobody would be talking about it much.

Both guys quit on their team. While I get it might be a bit of a stretch because of situations, it still happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

 

Both guys quit on their team. While I get it might be a bit of a stretch because of situations, it still happened. 

Walk ons leave all the time, starters who play 20+ mins every game just deciding before the plane leaves that they need a mental break is a huge distraction, I don’t have a problem w miles letting him back on the team if the team supports that decision, I would however boo Jordy like no other if I was in attendance for the game he comes back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Walk ons leave all the time, starters who play 20+ mins every game just deciding before the plane leaves that they need a mental break is a huge distraction, I don’t have a problem w miles letting him back on the team if the team supports that decision, I would however boo Jordy like no other if I was in attendance for the game he comes back. 

I think Miles has been over the top supportive to Jordy and while I do think Jordy made a stupid error, I think he does deserve to learn a lesson from it. 

 

Not by a fan booing him but by Miles letting him sit on the bench for a bit. Jordy might have made a mistake but has to learn that consequences come from your actions.

 

Not as harsh as  Damon saying he should not be let back on the team, but enough that Jordy gets he cant pull this crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

 

 

Both guys quit on their team. While I get it might be a bit of a stretch because of situations, it still happened. 

There is very very very little similar. So little it doesn’t make sense acting like they are similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Benning... the Penn State excuse is the most idiotic argument for not letting someone come back. Compile that with the fact that nobody knows 100% what's going on with Jordy, Miles, and the team except for Jordy, Miles, and the team; I think it's stupid for some people getting all up in arms about Jordy now wanting to come back.

 

FYI I don't like Miles as a coach nor seeing Jordy on the court as I think he's a liability, but there's no reason for any of us to think that we know how Miles and the team should handle this. Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Husker2019 said:

I agree with Benning... the Penn State excuse is the most idiotic argument for not letting someone come back. Compile that with the fact that nobody knows 100% what's going on with Jordy, Miles, and the team except for Jordy, Miles, and the team; I think it's stupid for some people getting all up in arms about Jordy now wanting to come back.

 

FYI I don't like Miles as a coach nor seeing Jordy on the court as I think he's a liability, but there's no reason for any of us to think that we know how Miles and the team should handle this. Just my 2 cents.

Unless I misheard Benning, I thought he said there is no way you can let Jordy back on the team....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with him coming back if that's what Miles and the rest of the team want.  From the outside looking in......Unless there's an extenuating personal circumstance, if I were coach, he would be running stairs till he wishes he never would have walked out on the team to prove he really wants to come back.

 

But....Miles and the team know more than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no problem with him coming back if that's what Miles and the rest of the team want.  From the outside looking in......Unless there's an extenuating personal circumstance, if I were coach, he would be running stairs till he wishes he never would have walked out on the team to prove he really wants to come back.

 

But....Miles and the team know more than me.

He is a kid away from home and we do not know what is going on in his life.  He has to live with his teammates now that he did this.  I will only have a problem, if he starts Thursday night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Unless I misheard Benning, I thought he said there is no way you can let Jordy back on the team....

He was saying you can't blame jordy for the loss vs penn state

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Husker2019 said:

He was saying you can't blame jordy for the loss vs penn state

Went back and listened. at 3:25 mark it was Sharp saying you cant bring him back and Damon was agreeing with him.

 

I dont know if anything else has been said, just going off the clip that was in this thread above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Jordy stays, when players start stepping up at this level there are bound to be some who feel left out and playing below their potential. He'll be better when he gets it straightened out.
I see a lot of personal comments directed at Miles and I'm sure his nerdy Leonard Hofstadter personality doesn't mesh with a skilled players ego as well as a coach like Bill Self or Phil Jackson, but he and the staff are obviously doing a great job recruiting despite lacking some in personality management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 2:47 PM, B-town hoopsfan said:

Walk ons leave all the time, starters who play 20+ mins every game just deciding before the plane leaves that they need a mental break is a huge distraction, I don’t have a problem w miles letting him back on the team if the team supports that decision, I would however boo Jordy like no other if I was in attendance for the game he comes back. 

Funny you say you’d boo him  if he came back. Sounded to me like he had overwhelming support from the fans when he checked in against Michigan, and I’m glad he’s back.

Edited by pearljammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×